Why a Cabana?

Tom O.

Why would anyone want a Cabana, if they have a balcony?

I don't know much about them, so I would like to understand what is so good about them that people spend extra for them.

I am not being critical of them, I am just seeking information.

I did a search here on CC about them and found out a lot about the cost and how to rent them, but nothing on the advantages of them.

I booked one for my upcoming cruise. I like to be by the pool but not out in the sun. I would like to have a private shady area where I can have all my stuff, eat lunch and still be where the action is. I can let you know when I get back whether I thought it was worth it. I have a verandah but certainly do not want to spend all my time there. Plus, I don't think they have 2 loungers on them.

I guess everyone needs to choose for themselves what they want to spend their money on.

Edited by Stpatsirish

There is NO reason to need one. You can be perfectly fine without paying additional funds for cabanas, or "private" areas.

No reason? How about "can't be in the sun for extended periods, but still want to be outdoors?"

It is a personal choice. If you don't want one, no one is forcing you.

There is NO reason to need one. You can be perfectly fine without paying additional funds for cabanas, or "private" areas.

Sure there is a reason to need one...to each their own. I want to know that I have a lounger waiting for me no matter when I go. If I want to go to the pool, then walk for a bit, then go to the spa for a bit and then come back to the pool, I truly shouldn't be taking a deck chair as I'd be considered a "chair hog". This way, I know I have a place.

We almost always have at least a balcony. To us, though, a balcony is not a "sit around" type of place. We wouldn't sit there for hours through the day, but we do in our cabana.

The little perks that come with them are nice too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why would anyone want a Cabana, if they have a balcony?

I don't know much about them, so I would like to understand what is so good about them that people spend extra for them.

I am not being critical of them, I am just seeking information.

I did a search here on CC about them and found out a lot about the cost and how to rent them, but nothing on the advantages of them.

Perhaps they don't have a balcony. The best reason I've heard for a cabana was from a single cruiser who found it more economical to book an inside or ocean view and then book a cabana. Remember this person would have to pay the single supplement on anything she booked. She could book an inside plus a cabana for less than she could anything else.

So, I think I am starting to understand. Its for people who want a private area near the pool.

The reason I never understood, was because we spend almost no time in the pool area. We much prefer to be on our balcony watching the sea go by. I guess it is different strokes for different folks.

So, I think I am starting to understand. Its for people who want a private area near the pool.

The reason I never understood, was because we spend almost no time in the pool area. We much prefer to be on our balcony watching the sea go by. I guess it is different strokes for different folks.

It's the best of both worlds for us. We have our private area near the pool AND see the sea go by right through the floor-ceiling windows in the cabana.

Did a Retreat Cabana on the Eurodam for my first HAL in 2012 and it got the 4 of us out of that tiny balcony room. Balconies are just not large enough and the layout of the room is not conducive for sitting there. There's also not enough for me to do on HAL so it is more of a relaxing trip rather than a mission to run off to everything. The Family Retreat Cabana was where we all sat and watched the world go by. For us, the Cabana was well used, every day, all day, until they kicked us out.

Booked another trip on the Eurodam for 2017, called Shoreside Services to check on Retreat Cabanas and sure enough it was available. Paid for the Retreat Cabana and then deposited the cruise. However I decided to do an OV instead of a verandah this time simply because we were not in the room. Square footage wise the OV and verandah are the same but we didn't use that balcony with the cabana. Hubby got up every morning and went straight to the Retreat. My kids (then teens) loved it too. I could care less about the ports on this particular cruise. GT and HMC is nothing for us; been to St Thomas a lot already and I expect we will ditch the Cabana for San Juan.

The Retreat Cabana gives us outside space in a peaceful atmosphere not on the Lido deck. I've been on a lot of cruises but don't go in pools (which I consider germ cesspools.) The only reason I'm even doing HAL again was that Retreat Cabana. I've dragged my kids (now college senior and sophomore) on pretty much all cruise lines and every time we see a HAL ship, we all say how much that Retreat Cabana was the best money we've spent anywhere.

Had the Family Retreat Cabana not been available, I would not have booked that cruise.

We have been on many cruises, mostly on Princess, and we have had a balcony on every one. Usually these balconies are small, but adequate for two people. I can see wanting a larger space if there were 4 people.

Like Krazy Kruisers, we sit out there and read and relax. We would never take a cruise without a balcony. There is also the convenience that it is part of our room - no need to get dressed or fix your hair.

We usually have our breakfast there too.

It is true that we end up spending a lot of time in our room, since we don't participate in any ships activities. There have been at sea days where we only come out to eat. But that is the way we like it - sitting (sometimes napping) on our balcony watching the world go by.

This is why we are very particular about our room. Although we only get a regular verandah room, we get one of the best available. We prefer aft balconies, because of the greater view, also the balconies are usually larger than the ones on the side.

So for us, we don't need a cabana, or even want one. I was just curious why other people wanted them. But everyone has their own way of enjoying a cruise. And after reading the responses here, a cabana is perfect for some, but not for others.

On our last cruise, I finally remembered to go up and look at the cabanas. This was on a Canada cruise, so I guess HAL didn't sell them or nobody bought one. There was nobody up there, so I had a chance to get a good look.

To me, no matter how nice it is, it's a tent. I did my time in tents as a Girl Scout. I know these are a lot nicer and have better perks than my camping days, but that's my gut reaction. Looking at the sea through windows has no appeal when I already have a balcony open to the air. And the Lido cabanas just sound weird to me. I've never been on a ship that has those, but really, a tent set up indoors???

HOWEVER, I do see the practical advantage to someone booking an inside or for a family with 4 people in a cabin, or for people who want a "home base" on deck. So I don't mind that HAL has cabanas (except when they take up space in the Lido), I just don't want one.

I did not see the retreat ones but the ones round the lido if they have the curtains shut don't allow anyone to see anything from that side of the ship. They are also totally covered so no sun.

We always have a balcony and we use it quite a bit.

It is up to everyone how they spend their money but it would not be a want from me but as with everything in life each to their own.

I found that people were gawking at people in them to see what they were like. Reminded me a bit of those that sit in port on their own boats with the gawkers walking past.

As for the service a good concept but I do like moving every now and again if only to prevent a DVT !

Cabanas are becoming a big deal at upscale hotels with pools and beach resorts, too. It was only time for them to catch on with the cruise ship industry. I know that I always hear people talking about renting cabanas or clamshells on various private islands. If you want to do it there, it could be a logical extension to do it on the ship. But, like everything, it isn't for everyone.

I never did a cabana on a ship, but I did one at a Las Vegas hotel (Mandalay Bay). Did it one day as a birthday present to myself. It allowed me to spend all day outside, but I could move from sun to shade. This cabana came with a fully-stocked fridge, and a big-screen TV and entertainment system. I thought it would get noisy with everyone listening to their own stuff, but it really was no more noisy than it normally seems at a large resort pool area. Best part was, you know, the "cabana boy." Pushed a button and he showed up right away. Ordered food, adult beverages. And, for a solo traveler, bless his heart, he DID put the sunscreen on my back!!! Would I do a cabana on a ship? It would depend on the itinerary and what I planned on doing. I like to find cozy spots to retreat and relax, read, listen to my own music. A cabana could be a good choice for me on a trip in the Caribbean. On Med trip, not so much...

Tom O., thank you for asking this question. I've wondered the same thing -- what is the advantage to a cabana if a person already has a balcony. For me (us), I'm not seeing a compelling reason. That's for us yet obviously others like them. Personally, though, I just don't get it :)

In June of this year I booked a Family Cabana for the three of us. The reasons I paid for this while in a PS Suite was good enough for me. This cruise was an Alaska one with the day in Glacier bay.

• Surprise the DW with the best experience I can.
  • Have the best view at a high up location on the ship
  • Have food and drink delivered at any time we wanted. My DW had a salad made for her and delivered, and she was stoked.
  • We took the binoculars and tripod from the suite and used it again for the best views.

Some times I thought was the cost worth it, but seeing her smiling was good enough for me.

WONDERED about this too. Just called, and lido only are available on upcoming cruise. 14 days. $399.00. Only reference to lido cabana on this site is not comforting! An inside tent? The reference online talks about an oasis in a lively area. Does this mean the cabanas(tents) are right near the lido eating areas and therefore rather noisy and lots people passing by all the time? Of course all the photos I can find are mainly of the more luxurious and remote retreat cabanas . They are $499 for 14 days if available. Perhaps I will wait for our next trip and get one of them instead. We book insides, so the plan is to have our own little outside spot too. Any observations? Thanks for your help.

I had a Sugnature Suite and booked a retreat cabana as well. I loved that when we wanted to be out on deck there was a chair waiting for me, champagne poured and towels ready. The wonderful attendants would bring us lunch from the pool area. It was a great addition to the cruise when we didn't have the Neptune Suite. Different kind of pampering but a great relaxing addition for us.

WONDERED about this too. Just called, and lido only are available on upcoming cruise. 14 days. $399.00. Only reference to lido cabana on this site is not comforting! An inside tent? The reference online talks about an oasis in a lively area. Does this mean the cabanas(tents) are right near the lido eating areas and therefore rather noisy and lots people passing by all the time? Of course all the photos I can find are mainly of the more luxurious and remote retreat cabanas . They are $499 for 14 days if available. Perhaps I will wait for our next trip and get one of them instead. We book insides, so the plan is to have our own little outside spot too. Any observations? Thanks for your help.

If you look on the deck plan for your ship, you will see where they are located. No, they are not near the main Lido eating area. Yes, people will be walking in the area.

Did a Retreat Cabana on the Eurodam for my first HAL in 2012 and it got the 4 of us out of that tiny balcony room. Balconies are just not large enough and the layout of the room is not conducive for sitting there. There's also not enough for me to do on HAL so it is more of a relaxing trip rather than a mission to run off to everything. The Family Retreat Cabana was where we all sat and watched the world go by. For us, the Cabana was well used, every day, all day, until they kicked us out.

Booked another trip on the Eurodam for 2017, called Shoreside Services to check on Retreat Cabanas and sure enough it was available. Paid for the Retreat Cabana and then deposited the cruise. However I decided to do an OV instead of a verandah this time simply because we were not in the room. Square footage wise the OV and verandah are the same but we didn't use that balcony with the cabana. Hubby got up every morning and went straight to the Retreat. My kids (then teens) loved it too. I could care less about the ports on this particular cruise. GT and HMC is nothing for us; been to St Thomas a lot already and I expect we will ditch the Cabana for San Juan.

The Retreat Cabana gives us outside space in a peaceful atmosphere not on the Lido deck. I've been on a lot of cruises but don't go in pools (which I consider germ cesspools.) The only reason I'm even doing HAL again was that Retreat Cabana. I've dragged my kids (now college senior and sophomore) on pretty much all cruise lines and every time we see a HAL ship, we all say how much that Retreat Cabana was the best money we've spent anywhere.

Had the Family Retreat Cabana not been available, I would not have booked that cruise.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your Family Retreat Cabin. We've reserved one for our upcoming 15 night transatlantic cruise. DH and I are sharing with my sister and a friend. We are looking forward to having our own space and not having to worry about getting a lounge chair and worrying about losing it if we are gone for 30 minutes. I'll report back after our cruise whether or not we felt it was worth it.

I had a Sugnature Suite and booked a retreat cabana as well. I loved that when we wanted to be out on deck there was a chair waiting for me, champagne poured and towels ready. The wonderful attendants would bring us lunch from the pool area. It was a great addition to the cruise when we didn't have the Neptune Suite. Different kind of pampering but a great relaxing addition for us.

Exactly (and it doesn't matter what kind of room you have...it's about what is waiting for you on the deck).

TheEmerson, I saw in another post I was researching that you booked a cabana on a cruise to Alaska that you took this summer. You had mentioned in the thread that you would post photos and give us your thoughts on the cabana experience on the Alaska cold water cruise when you got back. I am thinking about booking one on HA in May/June of next year and would love to get your insight. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!

The Lido ones are down the side of the pool area near the food and the pool with sunbeds right up to them. they even had tables and chairs for eating right outside them

That sounds terribly congested and unpleasant both for the people in the cabanas and the people in the pool area, where the view on one side is blocked.