Change due to Zika virus

LuvtheWater117

Zika is transmitted by a species of mosquito that does not live in Alaska. From here, the Govt of Alaska Dept of Public Health.

http://dhss.alaska.gov/dph/Epi/id/Documents/Zika%20Virus%20Disease%20FAQ.pdf

There has been some discussion about other mosquitoes biting an infected person and then becoming a carrier of the virus. It is probably Alaska might be spared from the spread of this virus by mosquito bite but there are predictions, it is expected most of the lower 50 could become home to some.

Of course, in frigid cold there are no mosquitos out now in cold climate areas but come spring, you can be sure snowy Boston, NYC and other cold weather cities/states surely will have our usual compliment of mosquitos out and about. :eek: They survive every year and this one will be no different.

• 2 weeks later...
No one can decide that for you.

How much is a week on a cruise ship worth to you vs. a baby with severe birth defects?

A lifetime of regret?

Or maybe a week's vacation with no problem and no mosquito bites. How big a risk taker are you?

My comment was to the original person who post I didn't need anyone to decide for me I was going, and I guess I am a huge risk taker because I went had a great time weather was awesome and no mosquitos in sight!!! Used plenty of repellent 3 different types and I had the time of my life and came back and have already been to the doctor and I am Zika free!!! Can't live your life in fear anything can happen I can die in a car wreck just like that!!! We take precautions and we live!!! I have two children so this will be my 3rd it's not my first time around the Block I hope everyone has fun who decides to go

Edited by jaime062789

I definitely got a few mosquito bites in Cozumel while using and reapplying bug spray with DEET. We weren't on the beach though, it was to see some ruins in a more wooded area.

did you come down with the Zika virus ?

Have you been tested to be sure you are not a carrier?

did you come down with the Zika virus ?

Have you been tested to be sure you are not a carrier?

If I have understood the news reports properly, I think if one contracts Zika virus, they may not even have symptoms and if they do, the body rids itself of the virus in about two weeks. It seems the experts are saying it doesn't stay long in the body for most people, however, the disease it causes such as guillain-barre can be long lasting. Certainly birth defects are long lasting.

Edited by sail7seas

Which is worst Zika or West Nile. People died from West Nile every summer. CDC has a list of repellents recommended to fight the mosquitos carry the Zika virus. Mosquitos need fresh water to breed so logically the beach should be ok. As others have said there are risks in life. Maybe folks should go and stay on the ship and get the beverage package. Have fun and happy cruising.

Interestingly there are now some studies indicating an increase in Paralysis in areas that have been hit hard with this virus. Not saying this is definitive but one of those items that it will take more time by the medical field to figure out and hopefully a vaccination will be developed sooner rather than later.

Keith

The theory that the pesticide used in Brazil to prevent the spread of mosquitoes causing the anencephaly (small brains in babies) makes a lot more sense than Zika causing this. Zika has been around since the middle of the last century from what I have read. I remember my DH telling me when I was pregnant in the early 90's to cross the street when we saw people spraying weeds or a sign indicating that this had been done. He told me that the chemicals were neurotoxic.

Interestingly there are now some studies indicating an increase in Paralysis in areas that have been hit hard with this virus. Not saying this is definitive but one of those items that it will take more time by the medical field to figure out and hopefully a vaccination will be developed sooner rather than later.

Keith

Could this possibly be related to the pesticide used to irradiate the mosquitoes or are researchers convinced that this is from contracting Zika?

Could this possibly be related to the pesticide used to irradiate the mosquitoes or are researchers convinced that this is from contracting Zika?

Good question.

This is an article from the Washington Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/world/wp/2016/02/21/zika-has-been-linked-to-birth-defects-now-it-may-be-causing-paralysis/?hpid=hp_no-name_zika-730pm_1%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

Keith

Thank you for the very sad but interesting article. I have heard that west Nile can cause GB and wonder if they have ruled out west Nile in these patients? I would think that you could potentially be exposed to both. I have taken care of patients who survived Guillian Barre syndrome and it can be a long and difficult road to recovery.

For cruise passengers who visit these ports for a few hours during the day while mosquitoes are largely inactive, the odds are slimmer. a.

This mosquito is more active in the day.

"There is a higher risk of bites from the Aedes mosquitoes, which can spread dengue, chikungunya and Zika, inside. That is because Aedes are active and feed during the day. "They come in the house for shade ... they live very close to people," Kramer said.

Sorry you have to face such a decision OP. I hope all goes well. It's easy for others to be blasé about the risks and quoting statistics which show the risk may be low. It's different if you are one of the unlucky ones for whom the worst happens.

Good luck whatever you decide.

You are very welcome.

Thanks for sharing your experience with taking care of patients who survived Guillian Barre Syndrome.

Keith

:) Keith I just asked my DH who is quite knowledgeable re: Guillian Barre and he said GB is usually caused by an autoimmune response post virus and not pesticide exposure. He also concurs with the scientists and doctors who think the birth defects are most likely related to the pesticide exposure and not exposure to Zika virus.

:) Keith I just asked my DH who is quite knowledgeable re: Guillian Barre and he said GB is usually caused by an autoimmune response post virus and not pesticide exposure. He also concurs with the scientists and doctors who think the birth defects are most likely related to the pesticide exposure and not exposure to Zika virus.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing this with us.

You are welcome. It's all quite sad. You have to wonder how safe the water supply and soil is in areas where harsh pesticides have been used in copious amounts even if it turns out that zika not pesticides is indeed causing the birth defects.

Here in Massachusetts, most cities and towns spray pesticides each spring and it always makes me very uncomfortable. Which is worse? The disease the insects can cause or the diseases from pesticides? It is inevitable we are ingesting chemicals humans should not be exposed to.

Here in Massachusetts, most cities and towns spray pesticides each spring and it always makes me very uncomfortable. Which is worse? The disease the insects can cause or the diseases from pesticides? It is inevitable we are ingesting chemicals humans should not be exposed to.

Plastic packaging is another thing that worries me. DH got rid of all the plastic stores get ware a couple of years ago at our house.

From what I have read the pesticide used in Rio has been banned from the US and Canada. In my city they are very picky about what can be used and what can't be. Our lawns look pretty crappy because of it though but we have gotten used to it.:)