Help!! I'm freaking out!!

JodiH

My husband and I are planning our first cruise and we're cruising to Alaska. We are planning the cruise for July of 2017 and I want to get it booked and then be able to make payments on it over the next year or so. I'm not really worried too much about the budget (although I obviously want the most bang for the buck), I'm more concerned about the room, the itinerary, and the overall experience. It's really a once in a lifetime sort of vacation and I want it to be as perfect as possible.

I thought I was all set to go with Norwegian, mostly because of the "free" stuff we were able to get. However, I've now searched so many different cruises that I'm completely freaking out!! I really want to get this booked but now I'm doubting everything I had originally been thinking LOL

With that said . . . I am begging for advice!! LOL :)

I suggest heading to a travel agency, and letting them compare the different options to you in person. They will give you brochures, which can give you a "feel" for each cruise line. A good travel agency can help you with your decision!

Also, compare the cabins on each of the ships you might sail...there can be size variations! How many in your party? That can make a difference as to how large of a cabin you need!

As far as your stops....what do you want to see? A guidebook on Alaska can help you determine that! Then, you can pick the ship that goes to the places that are most important to you!

You also need to step back and take a couple of deep breaths. You are just going to have to look thru the choices and pick what you think is the best. Once you have booked it, that decision is done. Don't be second guessing yourself. You WILL have a wonderful time.

Hi Jodi

You could do as CB at sea suggested, but then you would in a way be starting over. If it gives you peace of mind OK.

My thoughts are don't second guess yourself. You have done some work already. You found something that you felt would work for you. Go for it. I haven't heard of anyone going to Alaska who hasn't had a great time.

We are going in May. :):)

have a great trip

Jodi, Please reconsider NCL. Those ships they send to AK are older with few ammenities. You will not have a positive first cruise experience. I was on SUN. Consider Solstice. Look up ship photos here under photo Gallery.Prices will come down later also. Its very early

Back away from wanting it to be as perfect as possible. It will be a wonderful trip, just because it's Alaska, but something won't go right or won't meet your expectations. You've been given some good advice.

Roz

Jodi, Please reconsider NCL. Those ships they send to AK are older with few ammenities. You will not have a positive first cruise experience. I was on SUN. Consider Solstice. Look up ship photos here under photo Gallery.Prices will come down later also. Its very early

You were on the smallest, oldest ship they send, also. The Jewel and Pearl also sail there, and while they are not "Vegas at sea" like BA, GA, and Escape, they do have plenty of amenities onboard, including the Haven.

Not sure why people would want a ropes course, multiple water slides, etc on an Alaskan cruise. The point of the cruise is to see Alaska. If people want to go on vacation for the actual boat itself, Caribbean in the big ones for less.

I'm also looking at Summer 2017 to Alaska. It's a hard decision what line/ship to take.

Edited by Starflyr3

NONSENSE, NCL has the YOUNGEST fleet in Alaska. While the Sun is up there, so are the Pearl and the Jewel - these are lovely ships. The Jewel class ships are from 2005 - 2007.

Jodi,

Which NCL cruise were you looking at?

I've been to Alaska several times on different cruise lines. What I can tell you is that which cruise line you sail on does not matter so much because Alaska is very port intensive. My main 2 pieces of advice are:

1. Choose a cruise that goes through Glacier Bay because it is one of the most awesome days you could ever have on a ship.

2. IF you have extra time to do a land extension on your cruise, do it!

Other than that, people love the NCL Jewel Class ships such as Pearl or Jewel. These are beautiful ships. If you can afford to be in The Haven or Suite, penthouse or above, it is a wonderful experience and The Haven Sundeck is the BEST place onboard the ship from which to view Alaska. If you can't afford that, then my advice is to get at least a balcony cabin for Alaska on Pearl or Jewel. Since you have never cruised before, you won't know what you are missing in regards to The Haven and you will still have a wonderful time on your cruise.

You are smart to look for a cruise line that includes as much as possible and the perks NCL is offering right now are very valuable. If you want to know more about being in The Haven on NCL, let me know, I've done it many times. I've also seen all the cabin types on Jewel class NCL ships and sailed on them multiple times - they are ALL very nice.

Once you book your cruise, as time passes you will be able to make dining reservations online for the specialty restaurants. Be sure to do that as Cagney's, Le Bistro and Teppanyaki tend to get sold out with everyone onboard having the dining package.

Don't worry and over think the problem. Any ship bigger then a row boat with one crewman rowing will be great because you are going to Alaska.

Your Budget will decide the size of your cabin. A balcony is nice, but from a balcony you can not see the other side of the ship. Moving around on the open decks will afford you a view of everything.

After you decide on the cruise line and ship go on the CC site for that cruise line and research information about the ship. Look for roll call for your ship and sail date. Join in and exchange information with others going with you.

Take lots of photo's on the cruise to show family and friends who did not go.

Bob

Thank you all so much for all of the advice! I'm really hoping to make this decision this weekend. Like someone said . . . once I've made the decision and booked the cruise, that part is over and I can just concentrate on looking forward to it and planning. I just need to take a deep breath and jump. :)

Jodi, I've been on Celebrity and HAL in Alaska as well. With HAL, the average age seemed to be 70 - 75+. We had a lovely cabin on the HAL Oosterdam - it was our first suite, BUT, the other passengers would nap in the library and other public rooms and it made me feel uncomfortable about being out there during the day. Some were rather crochety or demanding with us and others would tell the same story multiple times. I'm very sympathetic towards the elderly, but on my vacation, I just want to relax and not have people demanding I stay at the dining table to listen to their long-winded story (again).

Celebrity is more people in their 60's up, but there are also some younger people onboard - so there is somewhat of a mix of ages.

Princess is also a good mix of ages.

NCL, RCCL and Carnival all cater to families, so there tends to be some kids onboard and far less elderly.

My advice to you is to choose the cruise with Glacier Bay where you can get the best cabin for the money. It might be that you can only afford an inside and if that is the case, choose the cheapest cruise and spend your money on excursions in Alaska because there are so many amazing things to do like dog sledding, taking a helicopter to land on a glacier, Flightseeing over the Misty Fjords and even a Deadliest Catch type excursion. Definitely compare prices of the cabins. If you can do a balcony, that would be great, but you might find a situation where a balcony on one cruise line costs the same as a penthouse on another cruise line. Look at lots and lots of the online cruise travel agent websites to find the best possible deal.

Jodi, I've been on Celebrity and HAL in Alaska as well. With HAL, the average age seemed to be 70 - 75+. We had a lovely cabin on the HAL Oosterdam - it was our first suite, BUT, the other passengers would nap in the library and other public rooms and it made me feel uncomfortable about being out there during the day. Some were rather crochety or demanding with us and others would tell the same story multiple times. I'm very sympathetic towards the elderly, but on my vacation, I just want to relax and not have people demanding I stay at the dining table to listen to their long-winded story (again)...............

I have been cruising HAL to Alaska annually for the last ten years, and typically on the Alaska cruises you will find much more of a mix of generations, as extended families travel together, particularly as it is summer time, the major school vacation of the year, and many itineraries are 7 days, which accommodates working parents.

In my advanced middle age, I find that I am rather demanding and crochety myself, and I have been known to tell the same story more than once:D. I have not yet fallen asleep in the library, however.:D

For a Alaskan cruise, book a cabin with a window or balcony. You will be looking outside at the scenery and whales as you are dressing for dinner. Remember that the days are much longer in Alaska in the Summer. An Alaskan cruise is the one cruise that I will always book an outside or above. Others, an inside is OK with me.

We went to Alaska last year in May. I booked the cruise with Celebrity on the Solstice prior to joining CC. My head was spinning from all the comments regarding this or that itinerary, which made me doubt myself, however in my opinion whatever you choose, you won't be disappointed as Alaska is breathtaking. The following are my suggestions:

Get a balcony cabin. We had an aft cabin and the views were amazing.

Spend your money on excursions. (CC has amazing recommendations) MY DH complained about cost as I booked them but once he experienced the floatplane (Island Wings) and the helicopter glacier landing, etc he never mentioned cost.

If you book Celebrity, take the small boat excursion to Tracy Arm Fjord......

Whatever you decide you can't go wrong. Good luck.

Don't book to Alaska on a line just because you want the freebies (that being said, I'm watching princess to see if they offer the drink package in the meantime[emoji41]). I narrowed my choices by wanting a 1 way itinerary which does glacier bay. Don't be seduced by perks.

This board is great...NCL and Princess are great for Alaska. When you speak w/a Travel Consultant, find out what they can do for you, especially perks. Shop around and go for what fits your needs. For Alaska, you must do a balcony----you will not regret the experience. Happy shopping.

We don't book a cruise just because the cruise line is giving us a bunch of perks.

Itinerary is important to us.

You do need to see a travel agent. And before you go to talk to one, decide which ports are important to you and check the length of time the ship stays in those ports.

HAL and Princess are the primary cruise lines that are given permits to do Glacier Bay which I feel is important for first time people seeing Alaska.

My husband and I are planning our first cruise and we're cruising to Alaska. We are planning the cruise for July of 2017 and I want to get it booked and then be able to make payments on it over the next year or so. I'm not really worried too much about the budget (although I obviously want the most bang for the buck), I'm more concerned about the room, the itinerary, and the overall experience. It's really a once in a lifetime sort of vacation and I want it to be as perfect as possible.

I thought I was all set to go with Norwegian, mostly because of the "free" stuff we were able to get. However, I've now searched so many different cruises that I'm completely freaking out!! I really want to get this booked but now I'm doubting everything I had originally been thinking LOL

With that said . . . I am begging for advice!! LOL :)

Free stuff? Are you confusing their advertised free style with getting something free for them? They don't have fixed dinner times, that's all that's free there.

Free stuff? Are you confusing their advertised free style with getting something free for them? They don't have fixed dinner times, that's all that's free there.

Not times-- I actually found NCL to be MORE restrictive on scheduling than my experience on Royal Caribbean. It's the FREE perks that people are talking about.