visa. shots etc

Bases5

Starting to plan our first Europe trip in late summer- fall 2017.

Since this will costs close to as much as 3 cruise in the Caribbean

We will only do the 1 vacation that year and I want to do it correct.

Does the cruise line help you get visa's and let's you know everything you will need, or

Does a good TA do this.

I have always planned our own vacations, but now I'm worried I might be in over my head.

I will do most of the early research.

How do you all plan longer out of country trips

Does the cruise line help you get visa's and let's you know everything you will need, or

Does a good TA do this.

I have always planned our own vacations, but now I'm worried I might be in over my head.

This is an excellent site for answering visa/immigration questions:

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country.html

And for immunization requirements:

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/

Typically, you must get your own visas (if required). But some cruises have excursions that the visa process is included.

If you are a USA Passport Holder there are very few if any places you will need a visa. If you list them out we can help you with that.

And no vaccinations are required. Always wise though to make sure your vaccinations are up to date.

Keith

Agree with Keith. There are very few places in Europe requiring a visa for a standard cruise. Russia is one, Turkey is another if you are transiting (not just stopping for a day). In fact, there are few places in Europe that require a visa for a land tour.

There are even fewer immunization requirements. Have been traveling extensively in Europe (and in many other places)- hundreds of days in the last 6-8 years. Have never gotten an immunization for travel.

A little reading on your ports boards will get you lots more info on these sort of things...

Edited by CruiserBruce

The two places in Europe requiring some U passengers to have a visa are Turkey and Russia.

Turkey only requires one if you are starting or ending a cruise there. If it is just a port along the way, no visa is required.

Russia, for most cruisers means St. Petersburg. If you are on a ships tour, they take care of the visa requirement. If you are on a private tour, most handle the requirements for you. For that reason any tour must be arranged in advance. You would only have to get your own visa if you want to go off on your own.

Does a good TA do this.

TripAdvisor Web-site searching can be an excellent source when pre-planning Port Day-trips ashore unless you will simply let your Cruiseline lead you around at each Port.

For VISA's you are on your own. Turkey and Russia need either an actual VISA or in Russia's case, a VISA-exempt Tour for cruiser Day-trips, so look over your Itinerary closely or ask.

Health-wise we get the DPT vaccination. Diphtheria, Pertussis, Tetanus shot. Also our Dr. gives us a Prescrip for Zithromycin (Z-pak)...a bug-killing Antibiotic, we pack a Triple-Antibiotic ointment and wash our hands. Other than that....we merely follow the crowd down the Gangway. Have fun. Locomotiveman Tom

Relax! It may feel overwhelming, but really, it's no different in principle to planning any other vacation - just the context is different :).

Others have covered the visa issue - yes, it's your responsibility, but not that big a deal for Europe.

The key is research, research RESEARCH! Sooo much easier now with the internet - I remember years ago sending away for endless brochures in order to plan our family's vacations in the UK - now a few clicks gives you the same info. Read the Europe boards here for info on what fellow cruisers are doing - lots of knowledgeable posters there to help you with the nuts and bolts of your trip.