Helsinki: Hernasaari to Market Square transportation

We are a family of four, with two teenage boys, docking at Hernasaari Fri July 5 on the Eurodam from 6am to 5pm. We plan on getting to Market Square and taking the ferry to Suomenlinna, then afterwards touring through other sites around Market Square and Senate Square. My question is: what is the best way to get from our port to Market Square? My preliminary plan is to walk to Eira and take the 1A Tram to Market Square. It looks like tickets are 2.80 euros/adult and that we can walk to the tram stop from the port. Good plan? Any advice? Do we need separate Tram and Ferry tickets or is there some sort of combination ticket that would be cost effective?

We are a family of four, with two teenage boys, docking at Hernasaari Fri July 5 on the Eurodam from 6am to 5pm. We plan on getting to Market Square and taking the ferry to Suomenlinna, then afterwards touring through other sites around Market Square and Senate Square. My question is: what is the best way to get from our port to Market Square? My preliminary plan is to walk to Eira and take the 1A Tram to Market Square. It looks like tickets are 2.80 euros/adult and that we can walk to the tram stop from the port. Good plan? Any advice? Do we need separate Tram and Ferry tickets or is there some sort of combination ticket that would be cost effective?

We were in exact pier last week....the public bus is beside the port.

8 Euro for 24 hr pass....includes all public transport and the ferry over to the fortress.

Also the rock church is a must see....all these can be done very easy with public transport...there is a hop on bus at the pier,but you have to pay extra to go too the fortress.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

We were in exact pier last week....the public bus is beside the port.

8 Euro for 24 hr pass....includes all public transport and the ferry over to the fortress.

Also the rock church is a must see....all these can be done very easy with public transport...there is a hop on bus at the pier,but you have to pay extra to go too the fortress.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

We enjoyed our visit to the Rock Church five years ago and are planning to go again this summer.

Good plan?

If you arrive as early as 6 am it should be OK even if I rather recommend using bus 14 and do the walking along the Esplande park rather than walking in the harbor. If you use the tram hopefully it will be able to provide you with a day ticket. That would be valid to the Suomenlinna ferry as well.

Note 1A:s timetable. That last tram #1A in the morning goes at 9.24. A. M. After that its a long interval until 3.01 P.M!! Tram #1 will NOT go to Eira.

http://aikataulut.hsl.fi/linjat/en/h1_1a.html

Read post #428 in this thread for details of other ways to get to the market from the harbour:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1606720&page=22

Edited by Ultima Thule

I can't seem to find anything about the 24 hour pass on the HSL website. Where do I purchase it and is it good for the ferry?

Its called day ticket, in this case a 1 day ticket. Bus drivers should have them. Not sure about trams. Not sure if there is a ticket machine in the Hernesaari harbour. Yes, the day ticket is good for the HSL ferry. 8 Euro adults, 4 Euro for children 7-16.

http://www.hsl.fi/EN/ticketsandfares/singleticketsanddaytickets/Pages/17daytickets.aspx

http://www.hsl.fi/EN/ticketsandfares/prices/Pages/Prices2013.aspx

Edited by Ultima Thule

Thank you Ultima for the advice and the reference to the post in the other thread, I would not have found that on my own!! When your cruise ship comes to Toledo, Ohio, I will help you out!! Ha ha!!:)

In Rick Steves' book Scandinavia, he has recommendations for getting from the cruise ports into the towns.

HELSINKI:

"Cruise ships dock variously in the South Harbor, West Harbor, or Hernesaari (across from West Harbor; bus #14B runs to Kamppi mall/bus station and Temppeliaukio Church, bus #16 goes to the Esplanade and market Square); for a map, see www dot portofhelsinki dot fi."

Here's the journey planner filled in for you. Seems you'll need to walk, which is to my mind not a bad proposition at all as the neighbourhood is one of the most desirable in Helsinki.

http://www.matka.fi/en/?keya=Hernesaarenranta+8&a=3197474&an=8&keyb=pohjoisesplanadi+1&hour=07&min=00&vm=1&day=05&month=07&year=2013&prefer_bus=on&prefer_train=on&prefer_airplane=on&adv=#results

Edited by Subarctic

Is it possible to walk from Hernasaari to Market Square? I downloaded a Helsinki brochure from the tourist bureau and they show a walking route. We are "good walkers" but would appreciate advice. Thanks.

Its 1.7 miles from quay LHB, 2.1 miles from quay LHC. No technical difficulties but the first part might be a bit boring, especially from LHC where you go almost one kilometer along the harbour.

Do you have a link to the brochure you downloaded? I would like to have a look the suggested route.

Bus 14 stops just outside the pier. You can buy a day ticket from the driver for 8 euros, which covers the bus, tram and ferry. Get off by a church with a green roof and steeple. Don't remember the name of the stop because we got off at the right place by accident. Walk another block and you will come to a tram stop. The tram stop is called Eiran Sairaala. Don't remember the name of the stop for Market Square but you should know it when you see it because you can see the tents set up. The day ticket is also good for the ferry to Suomenlinna. It isn't the first ferry that you see but the second one.

Re: where I found the walking route. I am having difficulty posting the link, but it is on the www(dot)visithelsinki(dot)fi website. There is a link to "Helsinki Welcomes Cruise Visitors" that has a description of places to visit and also a map with key attractions to visit and a walking route outlined. Sorry I can't put in the exact link but it is easy to find on the website.

Re: where I found the walking route. I am having difficulty posting the link, but it is on the www(dot)visithelsinki(dot)fi website. There is a link to "Helsinki Welcomes Cruise Visitors" that has a description of places to visit and also a map with key attractions to visit and a walking route outlined. Sorry I can't put in the exact link but it is easy to find on the website.

This one?

http://www.visithelsinki.fi/sites/visithelsinki.fi/files/files/Esitteet/EN/printable_helsinki_map_2013.pdf

In that case the dotted line is the subway, not a walking route. :confused:

This one?

http://www.visithelsinki.fi/sites/visithelsinki.fi/files/files/Esitteet/EN/printable_helsinki_map_2013.pdf

In that case the dotted line is the subway, not a walking route. :confused:

The subway I personally would consider a sight on it own, it's the most northern one in the world, and runs well. If someone's interested in seeing the real Helsinki, by all means ride to the eastern terminus and back!

It's strange that the HST transports still don't have the GPS operated signs inside, indicating the names of the stops that I've seen in my buses almost ten years ago.

I'd like to point out these excellent chopper pictures to get you on the map better. http://www.fonecta.fi/kartat/HELSINKI Choose "kopterikuvat" from the top left.

(Some of the Helsinki port area is still under development in the pics.)

I managed to get the link. This map has definite walking routes identified as "design route", "fast route" and "seaside route". This opens the "Hesinki for Cruise Visitors". Scroll down and you will see the map I am referring to. I believe it is the second map.

http://www.visithelsinki.fi/sites/visithelsinki.fi/files/files/Esitteet/EN/cruise_visitors_guide_eng_2013.pdf

Edited by caazcruzin

• 4 years later...
  • 8 months later...