Adonia - Live..well more or less!

Mysticalmother

Florry...the glass house is one of the nicest areas on the ship and decorated in relaxing cream tones. It is high up at the back and runs down one side of the ship- Ocean Grill being on the other side. We shall be there for lunch today...:D

Mystical Mother

Thanks for your reports. I loved the Glass House on Azura

That area used to be Sorrento but wasn't open every night - seemed to alternate with the buffet in the evenings. is the GH open every night ?

I am sorry to say I use a lift for one deck. I may appear able bodied but I am in my mid eighties, suffer rheumatoid arthritis and had a lung removed some years ago. All is not what you see

Mystical Mother

Thanks for your reports. I loved the Glass House on Azura

That area used to be Sorrento but wasn't open every night - seemed to alternate with the buffet in the evenings. is the GH open every night ?

Open every day from 11am to 11 pm, serving food as well. But no Wine Flight.....:(

Interesting to hear that The Glass House was open for lunch of the day of embarkation. We have always found it to be closed on the other ships on day 1 until the evening, including Aurora just a few weeks ago. I do hope that P&O extends that option for those of us who dislike the buffet. Although we sometimes go to the priority boarders lunch in the main dining room, it is usually underwhelming and the free fizz and white wine are both revolting IMO. A nice lunch in the Glass House with a glass of Ice Cuvee - now that's my idea of a great start to a cruise!

I doubt it will ever happen, the glass house is used as a muster station on most of the bigger ships, so it is unlikely they would open it up before that's finished.

On Azura in May we thought we may as well stay in the GH until the crush had finished around the lifts, but although the bar staff were preparing they would not serve drinks until the waiters returned from their muster duties, and all the seats with a window view were occupied, so as my wife is a wheelchair user we had no option but to join the lift queue scrum.

My friend and I are also on board for that cruise - my third on Adonia!

Hi Sharon, I am sure our paths have crossed before on a cruise, but I can't remember where or when.

Phil and Liz.

No bar stools in Raffles...

Oh no!!! That's a great shame. There certainly used to be.

Did I read earlier that there are no wine flights in the Glass House!?!

Sent from my Sony Z1 Compact.

Hi Sharon, I am sure our paths have crossed before on a cruise, but I can't remember where or when.

Phil and Liz.

Quite possibly.

I am not at all happy about a sea screen. My one issue with Adonia is the limited open deck space, especially with a sea view and now it's invaded by noise from a sea screen!!

I am not at all happy about a sea screen. My one issue with Adonia is the limited open deck space, especially with a sea view and now it's invaded by noise from a sea screen!!

I don't think it's large, and I think they only use it at night.

Maybe mysticalmother can confirm for us?:)

Am enjoying reading your reports MM and I heard about your meet-up in Bordeaux with the holiday makers :D. We've only been on one small ship before and that was Fred Olsen Black Watch which was in poor condition so put us off. However additions like the Glass House and the ability to visit different ports is tempting so never say never. We're just back off Britannia and I don't think you could get much more of a contrast.

We're just back off Britannia and I don't think you could get much more of a contrast.

Funnily enough my Husband's favourite P&O ships are Britannia and Adonia! As you say, you could not get much greater in the contrast, but they are both wonderful in different ways.

Did you enjoy her?

I am sorry to say I use a lift for one deck. I may appear able bodied but I am in my mid eighties, suffer rheumatoid arthritis and had a lung removed some years ago. All is not what you see

And quite right that you should use the lifts for one floor. I never judge people on what they seem...I have a disabilty myself but no-one would ever know by looking at me. Most days I am fine, but some days I am not....

And as far as the lifts are concerned...mine is a personal goal to NOT use the lifts....but to get some excercise!

Funnily enough my Husband's favourite P&O ships are Britannia and Adonia! As you say, you could not get much greater in the contrast, but they are both wonderful in different ways.

Did you enjoy her?

Yes a contrast there, Adonia/Britannia. Our last cruise was in March this year, QM2, Sydney-HK and next on Adonia next year, 34 nights, B2B. Contrast there too. !!:eek:

Well, unfortunately I am now home! Will try and do a proper review of our cruise on Adonia in the next few days.

But... a couple of answers to previous questions....

The Captain is Sarah Breton

Hotel General manager is Ian Wynne-Smith

The is no entertainments manager....the assistant is Claire Ellams.

Entertainment....the "Adonia Theatre Company do different shows to the other ships, due to the relatively small stage. We had a Motown night ...wasnt overkeen on that - a bit too frenetic and the clips of many of the songs were simply too short. (I like Tamla motown music!) Others may well love it. One of the singers is a better actor than singer.....;p

They performed an Alan Ayckbourne borne play one afternoon...."Relatively speaking" which we thought was brilliantly done. In some respects the group were better actors than singers! I cant remember the titles of the other 2 shows, (will check my Horizons later) but we enjoyed both. We had a comedian (again name escapes me) who most people said was very funny, but we didnt see him. Last night we had a very good, and funny , magician , Kristian Grey. Thoroughly enjoyed him. Guest speaker was Pam Rhodes from Songs of Praise...we went to her last talk on someone else's recommendation...she was excellent! Very witty...and I bought one of her books which I am really enjoying!

Sailaways...hmmm...well we had one proper one...the rest were disappointing, particularly the one from our last Port which was non existent.

Resident group are "soundwave" ...very enjoyable, and a duo "Rick and Laura" along with a singer/pianist Lisa Hall....all very good.

And for those of a vocal disposition.... Adonia Choir is alive and well! Run by the singer from Spundwave, Kelly..lovely girl.

Disembarkation this morning was an absolute breeze. We were given a time of 9.20, so went and had a leisurely breakfast in the MDR. Toddled off to our designated lounge at 8.45, only to be told we could go straight off..so by the time I paid a visit, walked off, collected our luggage, picked up the car from CPS etc, we finally exited the car park at 9.15. I reckon that there was no more than about 20 sets of luggage left in the baggage hall at that point!

Small ship cruising has some definate advantages!

Thank you Mysticalmother for all your updates and information, I am pleased they have a choir, I thought they may not on a smaller ship. Sounds like you had a lovely cruise and hopefully we will in three weeks time.

Regards Phil and Liz.

Now got my "Horizons" in front of me....

Singer Roy Locke sang Magic of the Musicals on night 1. We enjoyed this although missed the first 10 minutes as were late out from dinner.

Adonia Theatre company show "Top of the BillBoards" ...a celebration of British artists who conquered the USA. Not bad.

Andrew Skrimshire - Instrumentalist. We missed seeing him....evening in Bordeaux I think.

John Evans - Comedian

Adonia Theatre company - Alan Aykbourne play mentioned before

Adonia Theatre company "No Town like Motown"

Several films shown...

Jackie

A street cat named Bob

The Accountant

Florence Foster Jenkins

Bridget Jones baby

Gifted

La La Land (shown out on pool deck)

Eddie the Eagle

Golden Years ( on Pool deck)

Passengers

Sully

The Girl on the Train

Lion

Deepwater Horizon

Rogue One: A start wars story

Patriots Day

Sing

Adonis is a lovely small ship and has been nicely refurbished with new carpets - cabins are pleasant.

The itinerary was very good - loved Bordeaux & Honfleur!

Entertainment was average !

Unfortunately food was appalling - on par with a motorway service restaurant !

Meats & fish often overcooked and vegetables tasteless - are they steam heated from frozen ?

Presentation was dreadful !

Crew didn't seem happy - usually so friendly & helpful

So bad we will never cruise with P&O again.

Loyal customers won't criticise but will vote with their feet !

Adonis is a lovely small ship and has been nicely refurbished with new carpets - cabins are pleasant.

Meats & fish often overcooked and vegetables tasteless - are they steam heated from frozen ?

I have found the food very poor on my last couple of P&O cruises but was hoping for better on Adonia. If we find it poor we will probably favour the Glass House - but I then miss the cruise experience of meeting new friends in the MDR.

I am fairly indifferent to entertainment

We are on board a week tomorrow and will go with an open mind but reading your post makes me feel sad

gadabout60

On the same cruise, food is defiantly important for us,looking forward to Lunch in Honfleur and Guernsey.

No interest in the entertainment, White Russians, in Andersons float our boat.

No great expectations,but would like to see the staff happy

Were we on the same cruise?

I have to say I can't agree wwith you smiffyaa about all the food. I admit that A couple of the fish/meat dishes were overcooked sometimes...but it was a case of perfect one night....not the next. So a bit inconsistent. And If it was bad it was sent back...which on 2 occasions over the week on our table of 8 it was, and a more than acceptable replacement provided. I understand that the kitchen were "learning" the new menus and there were some teething problems in terms of interpretation. And presentation and taste was perfectly acceptable. What was noticeable in comparison with last years cruise on Oriana was that the food was not over-salted which it frequently was then. My veg were fine....and we asked for extra every night on our table of 8 as generally we felt the veg portions were a bit on the small side.

As far as the crew were concerned , I am actually amazed at your comment. Apart from at reception and one morning only in the MDR we did not experience anything other than very friendly and happy staff ....in fact probably more so than on some of the other ships we have been on....we felt that the atmosphere on board was lovely!

Entertainment is always very subjective...but not sure what you class as average! Some was better than other I agree...but maybe just not to your taste.

Overall we enjoyed this cruise very much, and would certainly cruise with P &O again....there was nothing so bad to warrant not.

Interesting that this is your first post too.....

Edited by Mysticalmother
Just added something...