Have many people recieved an upgrade on a select fare?

Claire yorkshire

We have booked a select fare on the Britannia and am not seeing any benefits so far to this. We have been given a balcony cabin number on A deck which is the minimum guaranted cabin and have since found out that they are in the shade. We cannot book the dining time and have bee put on a waiting list for the late sitting. We have cruised before with P and O but always on a saver fare, I think we should have done this as it would have been alot cheaper. If we were lucky to be upgraded could anyone tell me when we would be informed of this. We travel in 3 weeks time.:rolleyes::D

To be fair the benefit of select fares are to be had when booking early. Most of all very early.

However if there are any upgrades to be had you will be the ones to get them. Most likely is a better placed cabin in the same grade/cabin type.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We have always booked select but last year I forgot to tick the "no upgrade" box. Around 2 weeks before we were due to go we received an email from P&O telling us that we had been upgraded to a different balcony cabin that was 2 grades higher than our original, not what I would have chosen but it was OK when we boarded.

I hope that you get what you want.

I do hope they offer us something slightly better. We also asked to be close to my brother and sister in law who are travelling with us and they are on deck F and booked at the same time and the same select fare. It is a special birthday for me as well. I suppose that there is still time!

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

I've also just booked a Select Fare for March on Brittania .

Only thing available was guarantee Balcony Deck A. Not sure how this worked but I'm guessing I could end up with a Balcony anywhere on the ship if they think its an upgrade?

Any info much appreciated.

2 cruises a year and never been upgraded. I can take that, but a select fare advantage is that you're first in the queue for upgrades. Yet every cruise I'm surprised by tales at the dinner table from people who booked a saver fare three weeks before departure, and not only got the cruise far cheaper (which I don't mind if they want to book late) but they booked an inside cabin and got a balcony. One couple booked a balcony and got a suite. I don't understand how P&Os promise of 'first in line' stacks up. I haven't asked them because they never respond anyway.

It's pretty clear that you are more likely to get an upgrade if you're a new or returning (after a long break) customer. In much the same way that Virgin and Sky offer great deals to new customers and nothing for loyal customers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by ChrisPBacon

Don't always believe what people say at the dining table people love to wind others up, we have only ever been given upgrades by a couple of grades and never a different type of cabin i.e. inside to balcony I do believe P & O manage this better than people believe.

I can tell a story that I have told many times over the years as a people manager at pay review time. I worked with a guy many years ago who always used to discuss what his salary was along with a lot of other people in the team it was only when I was promoted and became his manager that I became aware of his salary which had not been what he said it was and less than mine!! we wonder why other people were dissatisfied with their salary!! the moral of the story don't discuss salary.

2015 on Britannia we sat with a couple who told a different story about upgrades than they did on the previous time we dined with them and I believe neither to be the truth and probably had a similar conversation at each meal time - just not intelligent enough to think about the audience.

It's a bit like book pay and don't look at the prices again.

I, too have heard that in theory by booking a Select Fare you will be first in line for upgrades but have heard of those booking Saver Fares receiving upgrades when we have not had one by booking Select.I know it depends on what grade cabin you book etc but I suspect that P and O favour new cruisers or those who haven t sailed with them for a while. I would be interested to hear from people who cruise several times a year with them who have been upgraded, particularly moving from one cabin type e. g. inside to outside or Balcony to Suite.

I'd be interested to know more detail from those who have received upgrades, primarily, how big an upgrade was it (is it always just one class up) and was it free or at a charge of say £100.

I wouldn't consider a 'higher' grade within the same cabin type to be an upgrade at all. For me, an upgrade is a move up from say an inside to an outside, outside to balcony, balcony to suite.

I'd be interested to know more detail from those who have received upgrades, primarily, how big an upgrade was it (is it always just one class up) and was it free or at a charge of say £100.

I wouldn't consider a 'higher' grade within the same cabin type to be an upgrade at all. For me, an upgrade is a move up from say an inside to an outside, outside to balcony, balcony to suite.

Hi Selbourne, Our upgrade was 2 grades in the same cabin type just a different position on the ship.

We are not new to P&O nor are we returning past cruisers, we do 3 or 4 cruises a year (mainly P&O but ocassionally Princess, Cunard or Celebrity) .

Hi Selbourne, Our upgrade was 2 grades in the same cabin type just a different position on the ship.

We are not new to P&O nor are we returning past cruisers, we do 3 or 4 cruises a year (mainly P&O but ocassionally Princess, Cunard or Celebrity) .

Thanks for the specifics. That's helpful. I hope that the move works for you. I'm somewhat anal about cabin position (avoiding noise disturbance etc) and choose very carefully, so if P&O moved me to the same cabin type but elsewhere I wouldn't be happy - even if their pricing structure meant that it was technically a higher grade, so deemed an upgrade in their eyes.

Friends were offered an upgrade from a Superior Deluxe Balcony to a Suite for £100, which seems like a great deal to me and I would have happily changed cabins for that upgrade!

Thanks for the specifics. That's helpful. I hope that the move works for you. I'm somewhat anal about cabin position (avoiding noise disturbance etc) and choose very carefully, so if P&O moved me to the same cabin type but elsewhere I wouldn't be happy - even if their pricing structure meant that it was technically a higher grade, so deemed an upgrade in their eyes.

Friends were offered an upgrade from a Superior Deluxe Balcony to a Suite for £100, which seems like a great deal to me and I would have happily changed cabins for that upgrade!

The only reason we got upgraded was because when I was booking on line I forgot to tick the no upgrade box and didn't realise until I got the upgrade email, I rang P&O but could not move back to our original cabin. We carefully choose where we like to be because I am very noise sensitive at night, as it happened because it was a pre-Christmas cruise the passengers were generally older (we felt like youngsters even though we are in our 60s) and so there was very little noise anywhere. I have learned my lesson and will double check that I have ticked no upgrade in the future.

I agree that a move to the same cabin type is not a true upgrade because my view of a better cabin is not the same as P&I'd.

Sometimes upgrades can not be what they seem to be. Apparently there are groups of port side? balcony cabins on Azura and Ventura that suffer noise from equipment in the nearby exhaust uptakes. P&O would not admit it and they are marked the same grade as adjacent cabins. At least one poster here has been 'upgraded' to one of these cabins.

I book select fares because I travel solo and the late bargains never seem to be available. I always book a specific cabin forward well away from the engines or near other possible sources of noise like cabins with additional berths etc.

P&O seem to want to fill the balcony cabins, they probably reckon if they can get people in balcony cabins they would probably not want to book inside cabins. I was watching the prices on a cruise last year, about 4 weeks before the cruise there were lots of various cabins available when I went back a week later all balcony cabins were sold and only inside cabins were left and they were not cheap. The upgrade fairy must have been working overtime.

I did speak to a gentleman on a cruise who informed me that he got a bargain only booking a couple of days before the cruise. When I asked where his cabin was, he told me it was the lowest deck right next to the kitchen where you got cooking smells in the cabin all day and night and it was very noisy. Bargain or not, I would not fancy it, but he was happy.

We were upgraded on our first P&O cruise from a superior deluxe cabin to a mid ship suite. However they have got their monies worth from us as it spoilt us and now we always book a suite. We always tick no upgrade now as we prefer the aft facing suites to the higher grade mid ship😀

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

We were upgraded on our first P&O cruise from a superior deluxe cabin to a mid ship suite. However they have got their monies worth from us as it spoilt us and now we always book a suite. We always tick no upgrade now as we prefer the aft facing suites to the higher grade mid ship[emoji3]

Seems you have a better chance on your first cruise.

Well I will fess up to an upgrade from a top graded balcony to a mini suite in 2015 on Arcadia. But, and it is a big but, I asked for it! We had a problem on our previous cruise on Azura a few months before (we lost 2 days of it due to ship breaking down) and also the select price had gone down by some £600 each since we had booked over 12 months before. So I spoke to the TA I had booked through, expressing my views about the price drop etc....and mentioned that as we were already in an EA grade cabin AND I knew that there were still mini suites available, maybe PandO might consider us for an upgrade under the select T's and C's....24 hours later , we had been upgraded.

Our friends that we were travelling with, did not however get an upgrade...not sure they have ever forgiven us...not that they knew the full story!

We were upgraded on our first P&O cruise from a superior deluxe cabin to a mid ship suite. However they have got their monies worth from us as it spoilt us and now we always book a suite. We always tick no upgrade now as we prefer the aft facing suites to the higher grade mid ship😀

Yes I'm sure that is what happens to lots of people. Once you've experienced a better grade it's difficult to go back, so you are trapped thereafter! If you don't mind me asking, was the upgrade completely free or did they offer it to you for a small supplement? I have heard of people being offered upgrades to suites for £100, which is still a cracking deal.

I also find it odd that aft suites are cheaper than the midships ones. I guess if anyone is massively prone to sea sickness it might help them, but I wouldn't like the noise of people walking past talking late at night (or kids running past), which you get midships - suite or not. Also, the views from aft or forward suites are quite spectacular compared to side suites.

2 cruises a year and never been upgraded. I can take that, but a select fare advantage is that you're first in the queue for upgrades. Yet every cruise I'm surprised by tales at the dinner table from people who booked a saver fare three weeks before departure, and not only got the cruise far cheaper (which I don't mind if they want to book late) but they booked an inside cabin and got a balcony. One couple booked a balcony and got a suite. I don't understand how P&Os promise of 'first in line' stacks up. I haven't asked them because they never respond anyway.

It's pretty clear that you are more likely to get an upgrade if you're a new or returning (after a long break) customer. In much the same way that Virgin and Sky offer great deals to new customers and nothing for loyal customers.

Yes I second that. When we have booked a select we have never had an upgrade despite the blub saying you get first choice of an upgrade. Yet when we have booked a saver we normally get a higher grade, although have never ever been upgrading to a different cabin i.e. balcony to suite unfortunately.

Edited by amajaa

Generally, we book a select fare and choose a specific cabin and tick the no-upgrade button.

Last year we decided to book an early saver fare and booked an HE grade balcony cabin and ended up in an HB grade balcony cabin.

A couple of years ago we had booked a balcony cabin on a select fare on Arcadia and ticked the no-upgrade button, but got a call from P&O asking if we would like an upgrade to a suite for £100.00 per person - needless to say we took them up on the offer!

Michele

I, too have heard that in theory by booking a Select Fare you will be first in line for upgrades but have heard of those booking Saver Fares receiving upgrades when we have not had one by booking Select.I know it depends on what grade cabin you book etc but I suspect that P and O favour new cruisers or those who haven t sailed with them for a while. I would be interested to hear from people who cruise several times a year with them who have been upgraded, particularly moving from one cabin type e. g. inside to outside or Balcony to Suite.

Ann,

I book 3 or 4 a year all in suites, and the majority are early bookings in 'Select'....A couple of years ago we booked a last minute 'saver' 4 nighter to take some friends on their 1st cruise (both in Dulux Balconies)...We were upgarded to a suite, and so where they.....

As for the earlier comment re dinner talk...This is something I detest and never start, but will admit to finishing;). If I think somebody is talking bollox, I then up the anti, and tell them I was upgraded from an inside to a suite and given £££s in OBC. ;)

I have also told them that I paid full price with no OBC, but so what...It was only £10k for the two of us, so nothing to worry about:D The latter tends to shut them up even more.....

So please don't believe anybody at the diner table.:D:D:D