traffic construction and holdouts in Copenhagen?

Hope there is someone out there who can help me out. We arrive in Copenhagen July 5 and I'm sure I read somewhere about how slow driving it is there with all the roadworks etc. I'm trying to decide on taxis vs bus etc as we have 4 of us splitting the cost. But if lots of hold ups any idea which method of transportation will be best?

Thanks for any and all help.

Cheers. Jennifer

Well a taxi can go another route but a bus has to keep on route, no matter how bad the traffic is.

When searching on Google Maps they have traffic statistics so if you search on the time of day, you can then see how many minutes extra the trip will take.

Normally in the rush hour you can probably add 10 minutes or so to the airport, so a 25 minute ride will then be 35-40 minutes instead.

The critical point is around Kongens Nytorv where they have closed the western half of the square, so all cars have to drive around the eastern side.

Kongens Nytorv is located on the main north/south route and is the most direct way from the port to the airport.

This is because of the metro construction so it will be in place next year again but should not affect any cruisers in the 2019 season as the metro line opens in July that year.

But as noted most taxi drivers knows how to avoid that route.

If it is the traffic at the port then there is not much to do as there is only one road in and out of the port.

3 things are about to change.

Later this year a new tunnel opens that will take all the traffic from the port and out to the motorway.

This will hopefully mean that the traffic at the intersection will be better distributed.

Traffic for the motorway will turn right and traffic for the city and airport turn left.

Right now most of the truck also turn left as its the most direct way to the motorway but that will hopefully change.

Next step is to connect the tunnel under the Svanemøllen Bay and directly to the port but here we are talking around 2023 :loudcry:

They have to move a marina first in order to build the tunnel.

The 3rd thing that will help is the opening of the Nordhavn branch of the new metro line, it opens in December 2019.

Then they could just have shuttle busses running between Oceankaj and the Orientkaj metro station.

This will avoid the busy intersection and hopefully make the traffic go smoother.

It will also be possible to walk to this station in 20 minutes time from Oceankaj.

A further extension of this metro line is planned with 2 stops at Oceankaj but the latest thing I heard was 2030 but this is hopefully for the entire line.

My hope is that they will open it in stages as the city development moves further out so at least terminal 1 and 2 has a metro station between 2022 and 2025.

Well this was not what you asked for but it was just to tell that something is happening already this year but also in the coming years.