Accessible tours - Northern Europe

Hello all! i have an injury that will make it hard for me to walk long distances. I have a collapsible wheelchair, and a cane and leg brace and can walk a very limited amount. Some of the tours we've booked will not accommodate me. Does anyone have recommendations for cab drivers, tour operators or other options in Northern European ports (Tallin, Copenhagen, Oslo, etc.)? Sailing very soon! We are four adults. All help much appreciated.

Suggest you post on the Disabled Cruisers forum here at CC. You will find a lot of experienced cruisers with disabilities there who can provide you with guides and companies they have used in cruise ports all over the world.

Hello all! i have an injury that will make it hard for me to walk long distances. I have a collapsible wheelchair, and a cane and leg brace and can walk a very limited amount. Some of the tours we've booked will not accommodate me. Does anyone have recommendations for cab drivers, tour operators or other options in Northern European ports (Tallin, Copenhagen, Oslo, etc.)? Sailing very soon! We are four adults. All help much appreciated.

we did Baltic cruise several years ago and were looking for private tours to accommodate my husbands walking difficulties

we found it very difficult in any ports other than St Petersburg and best we managed was HOHO buses which were variable in success

we will be returning to Baltics in 2018 so would be very interested in anything you find

If you will be in Bergen, I have been on and can recommend the Bergen Food Tour. It is a very small group and can be customized to your needs. Our group included a woman who was wheelchair bound and we all did fine; she did have family members to help her. The tour was amazing, one of the best things we've done.

We just got back from a Baltic cruise (Copenhagen, Stockholm, Tallinn, St Petersburg and Helsinki) on Royal Caribbean's Serenade of the Seas. My husband has difficulty walking (and standing) and we took all our tours through the ship. They were all rated as being wheelchair accessible or "panoramic". Also these tours were only 2-3 hours long which was perfect for my husband.

The wheelchair accessible tours had lifts for wheelchairs and the passenger could either stay in the wheelchair or transfer to a bus seat (these tours basically drove around to the major sites with limited photo stops and you could stay on the bus the whole time).

The "panoramic" tours were the same; however, they did not have wheelchair lifts. On the panoramic tours, there was one (approx 20 minute) stop where people could get out and shop/walk around if they wanted to; otherwise, they could stay on the bus.

Also take a look at this board: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1025

Here is an example of one of the Panoramic tours through the ship:

Panoramic Tallin, Estonia - $49.75 2 hr 15 min

This tour is designed for guests who would enjoy seeing Tallinn mainly from the comforts of a motor coach but still get a glimpse of Old Town too. Stop for photographs at the Tall Hermann Tower from where you will have the option to walk the short distance up Toompea Hill to Palace Square, to view the baroque Toompea Castle (external view only). You may also visit the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral dominating the city skyline. Departing from Tall Hermann Tower, you will continue past the original city walls, the Kaarli Church, the Estonian Opera and Ballet Theater and also Kadriorg Park. Proceed to the Song Festival Ground with its big arc shaped stage, which can accommodate 25,000 singers. You will pass by the Forest Cemetery into the seaside area of Pirita. TL03

Highlights:

Easy, 2-hour coach tour: See the highlights of Tallinn in seated comfort, with plenty of stops for photographs.

• Toompea Hill: In Estonian mythology, the hill is the burial mound over King Kalev’s grave, erected by his grieving wife.
  • Optional walk: Walk the short distance up (850 yards) Toompea Hill to Palace Square to view the baroque Toompea Castle.

Notes:

The buses cannot travel up to Toompea Hill, therefore, there is an option to stay onboard and skip Nevsky Cathedral and Toompea Castle.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share that information. I had opted out of a lot of ship excursions as I was looking for something more personalized or smaller but I think I may have to reconsider. Thank you again.

If you will be in Bergen, I have been on and can recommend the Bergen Food Tour. It is a very small group and can be customized to your needs. Our group included a woman who was wheelchair bound and we all did fine; she did have family members to help her. The tour was amazing, one of the best things we've done.

Thank you I had seen the Bergen tour but hadn't considered it. I will now.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share that information. I had opted out of a lot of ship excursions as I was looking for something more personalized or smaller but I think I may have to reconsider. Thank you again.

By the way, if you do decide on one of the ship's tours, the Wheelchair Accessible ones (with a wheelchair lift) were not listed as available shore excursions once we boarded. The Wheelchair Accessible tours need to be reserved prior to your cruise. I believe the ship needs to advise the tour operator ahead of time so they can secure the appropriate vehicle. At least this was the way it was on Royal Caribbean.

What ship are you on?