Akureyri - looking for opinions, comments, ideas on two very different tours

Hello - Trying to decide between two very different tours in Akureyri for our cruise ship visit.

The first tour is a whale watching tour approx 3 hours - almost always see whales according to website. This would leave some time to explore the town of Akureyri.

The second tour is an all day tour to Godafoss and Lake Myvatn.

We are taking the Golden Circle in Reykjavik and will probably take a tour to the Dynjandi waterfalls in Isafjordur.

My travel motto is "I can't see everything - but I enjoy what I see" - however I would like some input on this decision because they both sound amazing and I'm having difficulty making a decision!

Thank you

DEFINITELY do Dynjandi!

I wouldn't do a whale watch in Iceland if I could do one back home or on a future trip (Alaska, Hawaii, New England). We did see whales out of Husavik a few years back, but the boat was VERY rocky, and we missed out on other opportunities in the area due to doing the whale watch instead.

tried to post a picture of Dynjandi, but it seems CC doesn't like imgur images

go there and add /a/zcIlr

to the imgur. com name if you want to see it

We took that from across the fjord last summer, about 2 miles away

We did an all day tour out of Akureyri with Saga tours this past September. (After our prepaid Traveling Viking tour bus never showed up and the company switched us to Saga without telling us). Luckily, our Saga tour was wonderful. We saw the lake, thermal areas, caves and rock formations, Godafoss as well as the Nature Baths. We felt it was quite different from the Golden Circle attractions.

Years ago we also visited Iceland for a week on our own. Only one day out of the seven was the weather suitable for whale watching, so I wouldn't take the chance. Stick with the land tour.

The Geysir is on the Golden Circle tour, best done from Reykjavik. There are a few mineral bath options in Iceland. Most famous is Blue Lagoon (near airport and Reykjavik). Best one (IMHO) is Myvatn Nature Bath (reachable from Akureyri)