Cocktails at Dinner? Wine by the Glass?

Bilyeu5

I've been reading all the posts about sharing/not sharing wine. When we eat in a restaurant we usually order a cocktail with our dinner. Is this possible on an HAL ship? Also, is wine available by the glass? We are not big drinkers.

I remember ordering a bottle of wine on the first night of a cruise and then feeling like the wine steward was hovering and ready to pounce every night thereafter. That was several years ago, and we haven't cruised since.

Barbara

You can also order a bottle of wine and they will recork it for you and keeping bringing out each night you do not finish it. Although I doubt by the thrid night it would be that good. But then DH and I finish off a bottle of Champagne at each dinner seating so we have never had to recork.

Is there anything 'wrong' with bringing a cocktail or glass of wine to the table? If it's ok to being a cocktail to the table,is it also ok to order a glass of wine with dinner?

When we started cruising it was 'accepted' that one gentleman ordered wine for the table - next night, another gentleman did the honors and so on - to order wine only for oneself was considered gauche.

How customs change!

Is there anything 'wrong' with bringing a cocktail or glass of wine to the table? If it's ok to being a cocktail to the table,is it also ok to order a glass of wine with dinner?
No, and yes---in that order.

When you arrive at the table, cocktail in hand, it's presumed you couldn't finish your cocktail in the lounge and didn't want to hold anyone up at dinner. (Or leave good liquor behind? Horrors!)

You certainly may order a glass of wine in the dining room, or carry an unfinished glass from the lounge as well.

No, and yes---in that order.

When you arrive at the table, cocktail in hand, it's presumed you couldn't finish your cocktail in the lounge and didn't want to hold anyone up at dinner. (Or leave good liquor behind? Horrors!)

You certainly may order a glass of wine in the dining room, or carry an unfinished glass from the lounge as well.

RuthC - I go with both your explanations! :) :) :) When one has been served an exceptional martini, there's no way I'm going to leave it - also, I confess to being too cheap! :D

And, if you go to the Captain's reception, we always carry our left over champagne on to dinner and enjoy the last few sips while waiting on the starters. I have never felt uncomfortable bringing the rest of my pre-dinner cocktail to the table. Some of us "nurture" our drinks because we are not big drinkers. Others enjoy having several. That's what makes the world go 'round.

We have never had a problem bringing in an unfinished drink into the dining room. I would rather show up on time with drink in hand rather than show up late or try to gulp down my drink to arrive on time.

The sommeliers will get you any drink that is available during dinner. Soft drinks, ice tea, beer, wine, mixed drink etc. I have never seen someone order wine by the glass, but certain ones are available on a per glass basis. If you have a favorite wine, I would reccomend getting the bottle and having the sommelier re-cork it and store it for you. If you drink about one full glass a night, the bottle would likely only last 2 nights if there are two of you, 4 nights if you get your own bottle. They store the wine correctly, so as long as you are not drinking out of the same bottle after the third or fourth night, there should not be too much drop off in quality.

Feel free to bring cocktails, wine, beer, soft drinks, etc. with you when you come to dinner. And don't be concerned about ordering a bottle of wine just for you and your spouse. Many of us have specific tastes when it comes to wine and prefer to order our own rather than share a bottle that we did not particularly like. If you are seated with friends, of course, it would be different. With strangers, who knows?

We once shared a table with a family where drinking was against their faith. We asked them if it was okay for us to have wine at their table or would they rather we asked for another table. They said "no way" could we have liquor at their table. We were quickly moved to a lovely table for two.

We once shared a table with a family where drinking was against their faith. We asked them if it was okay for us to have wine at their table or would they rather we asked for another table. They said "no way" could we have liquor at their table. We were quickly moved to a lovely table for two.

I understand why you moved to avoid a scene and to be more comfortable yourselves, but where did they get the idea it was their table? It was just as much your table as it was their's. Knowing that so many pax on a cruise ship do enjoy a cocktail or wine while dining, they really should have requested a table just seating their own family to begin with.

We've brought our unfinished drinks to the dining room several times without any problem. Back when there were just two seatings and no specialty restuarants your sommelier would normally pick up on what drink you start dinner with, particularly mixed drinks, and would have it waiting for you. That probably has gone by the wayside because of all the alternatives. However, once they see you've come to the table, and they've determined and confirmed your preference from previous nights, they'll probably put the order in. Worked that way on the Oosterdam in March.

We once shared a table with a family where drinking was against their faith. We asked them if it was okay for us to have wine at their table or would they rather we asked for another table. They said "no way" could we have liquor at their table. We were quickly moved to a lovely table for two.__________________

Carol

Another good reason we enjoy our special table by ourselves or with good friends.....

If I don't finish my cocktail before dinner, I carry it with me to the dinner table. I do this in restaurants as well and never thought there was anything wrong with doing so, still don't. If I do finish my cocktail before dinner, I'll usually get another one at dinner as well. We have always had exceptional wine stewards. Some others at the table make a standing order of a glass of wine each night or a beer and the stewards always have it waiting at the table for them.

We once shared a table with a family where drinking was against their faith. We asked them if it was okay for us to have wine at their table or would they rather we asked for another table. They said "no way" could we have liquor at their table.

I can't even imagine what I would have done in that situation. I am not sure I would have even asked if it was ok. Not like I was asking them to drink any!

The smallest table we've ever sat at was a table for four. We're still in touch with them and many of our tablemates from other cruises.... Now, for the first time, we'll be sailing and sitting with a couple we met on the Oosterdam and friends of theirs. It would be my luck this would be the first time we don't get along with our tablemates! :eek: (I really don't think there's much chance of that but it will be the first time we've chosen our tablemates.)

Archived