Help please re non-rail transport into Paris from Charles de Gaulle Airport

Turtles06

My spouse and I will be arriving in Paris (Charles de Gaulle Airport) around 7 AM on a weekday morning in October (an overnight flight from the U.S.), and need to get to our hotel in the Latin Quarter. We'll have too much luggage to take the train, and I'd appreciate suggestions for how to get to our hotel.

Our hotel can book a private car for us at 80 Euro, but if our plane is late, we'd have to pay for the waiting time. The hotel said it would be cheaper just to take a taxi, but I'm concerned, given the arrival time, that we'll just be sitting in rush hour traffic with the meter running. Does anyone have a sense of what a taxi from CDG to the center of Paris would cost?

The hotel says there's also a shuttle for 42 Euros (total for us both), but it sounds like we could be spending the morning driving all over Paris dropping people off.

Any suggestions for a private pickup service that would just guarantee us a flat rate? Any other suggestions for how we should do this transfer?

Thanks so much!

I've used a taxi but not that early in the morning. We have paid approximately E60 for 3 of us with 3 pieces of luggage total. I have also used http://www.shuttle-inter.com on several occasions. We have had wonderful, prompt service from them and would use them again.

Thanks, but I wonder whether that company is still in business. I emailed them in May, to both the email addresses on their web site, and never got a reply (and I did check my spam box). I tried again yesterday, again sending to both email addresses. One immediately bounced back as undeliverable, and no reply from the other.

Take a TAXI plain and simple,AND amke sure you take it from the Taxi q..not someone who meets you at the exit door.

Thanks, we'll probably end up doing just that, although I am worried about the traffic situation.

I have taken a taxi into Paris in the AM,and never had much of a problem as by the time you get through PP Control,get your luggage,find the right exit door it will be about an hour later,and I have always thought the drivers have been preety good getting to the city. You can always take the bus (where they put your luggage underneath) and then they drop you at one of the stops possibly closest to where you want to go and then you have to take a taxi anyway to hotel. It really is 6 of 1...etc:D. The last time I took a bus in we were in an accident and there was an hour delay as the bus driver went ballistic.I gnerally take a shuttle back at the end of my stay,but now a taxi when I land.Just my thoughts.

Thanks, but I wonder whether that company is still in business. I emailed them in May, to both the email addresses on their web site, and never got a reply (and I did check my spam box). I tried again yesterday, again sending to both email addresses. One immediately bounced back as undeliverable, and no reply from the other.

Did you try making an online reservation? I hope they're still in business as I booked them for November but I made my reservation a long time ago. I did hear back from them because I made an error in the date and somehow booked for November 2011!

I actually have to contact them again because our flight arrival has changed so I need to update the reservation. I'll try to do that tonight and will let you know if I hear back from them.

Did you try making an online reservation? I hope they're still in business as I booked them for November but I made my reservation a long time ago. I did hear back from them because I made an error in the date and somehow booked for November 2011!

I actually have to contact them again because our flight arrival has changed so I need to update the reservation. I'll try to do that tonight and will let you know if I hear back from them.

I did not, because I first wanted to know what their policy is if our plane were to be late. Their FAQs say "we won't disappoint you," but query what that means. And so I asked via email.

I hope they are still around and take care of you!

I did not, because I first wanted to know what their policy is if our plane were to be late. Their FAQs say "we won't disappoint you," but query what that means. And so I asked via email.

I forgot to send the email last night but sent it just now. The email address that I have is reservations at shuttle-inter dot com. I asked for confirmation of the receipt of the updated flight information. Hopefully, I'll get an acknowledgement back. When I do, I'll let you know.

We have only been to Paris twice, but both times we just went out to the Taxi stand and it was very easy and worth the money. Last May we stayed in the Latin Quarter about one block from Notre Dame and our fare was 48 euros, (I gave him 55 euros). Our hotel arranged for a car to CDG when we left and it was 60 euros. The other time we stayed on Rue Rivoli across from the Tullaries Gardens and it was 55 euros. We had 2 large bags , 2 carry on, and a camera bag and over sized purse.

I always put the name and address of the Hotel on an index card and show it to the driver in case they don't speak any English, it has always worked out great.

At CDG after getting your luggage there is a tourist information desk where you can buy your Museum Pass and other things before you go outside to the taxi stand.

Turtles, just wondering how much luggage? Because my DH and I took the RER train into Paris from the airport with two large rolling bags and two healthy sized carry ons without a problem. Everyone on the train from the airport is loaded down with luggage. I don't think I would try taking the Metro from the train station but if you have too far to walk to your hotel, you could get a taxi from the RER station without too much concern about being stuck in traffic.

Edited by Chloe1500

• 4 weeks later...
Turtles, just wondering how much luggage? Because my DH and I took the RER train into Paris from the airport with two large rolling bags and two healthy sized carry ons without a problem. Everyone on the train from the airport is loaded down with luggage. I don't think I would try taking the Metro from the train station but if you have too far to walk to your hotel, you could get a taxi from the RER station without too much concern about being stuck in traffic.

Hi Chloe, We are planning a trip into Paris at the beginning of our French Waterways Rivercruise in 2016 and I would be interested in more info regarding pricing (2 adults) of taking the RER from Charles de Gaulle into Paris and the logistics of ease of doing this with luggage. Where do we catch the train in the airport, how often does it run, do we need to purchase tickets in advance etc.

Any more detailed info you could provide would be much appreciated. Trying to avoid an expensive Taxi ride from Airport. Thanks!!

Hi Chloe, We are planning a trip into Paris at the beginning of our French Waterways Rivercruise in 2016 and I would be interested in more info regarding pricing (2 adults) of taking the RER from Charles de Gaulle into Paris and the logistics of ease of doing this with luggage. Where do we catch the train in the airport, how often does it run, do we need to purchase tickets in advance etc.

Any more detailed info you could provide would be much appreciated. Trying to avoid an expensive Taxi ride from Airport. Thanks!!

Hi, below is an online article from a travel website (add http://) that explains where to find the RER platform and some other info. It's inexpensive (10€ pp), and trains are frequent. There is no need to buy tickets in advance. You can keep your bags with you at your seat (at least that is what we did). Get a good map of Paris or Google online to determine which station you will travel to, or check with your hotel for that info. If you need to ask someone in the airport, most everyone working there speaks English. Have a great trip!

Europeforvisitors.com/paris/articles/paris-cdg-ground-transportation-trains.htm

Hi Turtles, they're still around! I didn't hear back from my last email to them so I set up a whole new reservation and put that this was an update to my prior reservation in the remarks. I did hear back from that within a day. So, I would ask your questions that way. There is a phone number provided which can be called for delays in flights, etc.

I hope it works out for you!

Edited by Alberta Quilter

Take a TAXI plain and simple, AND amke sure you take it from the Taxi q..not someone who meets you at the exit door.

TX.Mameow&Papeow: I always put the name and address of the Hotel on an index card and show it to the driver in case they don't speak any English' date=' it has always worked out great. [/quote']

Agree, Karen, on the cab option. That is what we have done several times. Things have worked fine. It is nice to be taken directly to the specific address you are seeking and not having to hassle too much with your luggage, public transportation, etc.

Excellent and effective idea to have that written address for where you are heading in order to show it to the driver. Helps lots.

Also, Paris DeGaulle can be very big, confusing and sprawling. It takes some time getting from your gate, through customs, getting your luggage, etc., etc. Lots of walking and in our last trip there, the number of handy ATM's was a little limited. Good luck!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 117,608 views for this posting.

Hi Turtles, they're still around! I didn't hear back from my last email to them so I set up a whole new reservation and put that this was an update to my prior reservation in the remarks. I did hear back from that within a day. So, I would ask your questions that way. There is a phone number provided which can be called for delays in flights, etc.

I hope it works out for you!

Thanks for the update; glad you heard from them, and hope you have a great trip!

Excellent and effective idea to have that written address for where you are heading in order to show it to the driver. Helps lots.

Thanks Terry. We always have our destination written down for cab drivers in non-English-speaking countries, for all the reasons you and others have said. (Was pretty critical in China, :), but we do it in Europe too.)

• 2 months later...
Thanks for the update; glad you heard from them, and hope you have a great trip!

Hi Turtles,

Just wanted to report back that the re.servation with Shuttle-Inter worked very well. The driver was exactly where they were supposed to be. I had arranged for assistance for my elderly mother. The driver took the luggage cart from me, and the wheelchair assistant pushed my mother all the way to the van. There were just st the two of us in the van for the drive which I thought would be the case but wasn't sure. The driver was good but was on the telephone (hands free) the entire time. I didn't expect a tour but some chit chat might have been nice even if there was a language barrier.

I hope you were able to find a reliable service. I would use these people again.

I booked SayShuttle for our group of 6 arriving at CDG and departing out of ORY. On time, professional and reasonable! On previous trips we took the Roissy bus and the RER into the city from CDG- both had their challenges for us in terms of luggage on the bus and obtaining tickets for the RER. Using SayShuttle (prepaid) was a great way to travel to our Latin Quarter hotel in that the route our driver took provided a mini-tour of the city and it was delightful be met at baggage claim- no schlepping.

PS- I am heartbroken for Paris.

Edited by TMLAalum

Thanks to those who have posted additional info, which I hope will help others in the future. We wound up taking a taxi, which worked out fine.

I am heartbroken for the people of Paris. I can't believe we were just there just a few weeks ago.

I booked SayShuttle for our group of 6 arriving at CDG and departing out of ORY. On time, professional and reasonable! On previous trips we took the Roissy bus and the RER into the city from CDG- both had their challenges for us in terms of luggage on the bus and obtaining tickets for the RER. Using SayShuttle (prepaid) was a great way to travel to our Latin Quarter hotel in that the route our driver took provided a mini-tour of the city and it was delightful be met at baggage claim- no schlepping.

PS- I am heartbroken for Paris.

Great info, thanks for posting. If you don't mind, can you give me an approximate cost in Euro's for the transport from CDG to Paris City Center Hotel. Is it a private transport or shared. We will be a traveling party of 2.

Great info, thanks for posting. If you don't mind, can you give me an approximate cost in Euro's for the transport from CDG to Paris City Center Hotel. Is it a private transport or shared. We will be a traveling party of 2.

We had a private transfer and as I recall it was around 12-13 euro per person each way. Our hotel was on a tiny street in the Latin Quarter and we were dropped off quite close to the entrance. For the return trip, the driver came into the hotel to fetch us.

http://sayshuttle.com/