easiest ride to beach

bluebelt

Hello,

I am going to be going to Tortola with 5 other people. Normally we just like to relax at a nice beach. Lately my husband has been getting car sick fairly easily when he is not the driver. My father has a very bad back. From everything I have read the beaches are about a 20 minute drive away over hilly terrain. I don't think the safari taxi's will work for us due to my dad's bad back (I was on a safari taxi a few years back and they were bumpy...not a big deal at the time). What is the easiest beach (not necessarily the closest) beach to get to that has some amenities? Any advice is appreciated! :D

Cane Garden Bay would probably your best choice but would still have some high hills. You could tell the person directing transportation/taxis at the port that you needed a regular 4-person taxi. :)

LuLu

Yes they can get a van taxi that wil hold all 6 of you and drop you at CGB or perhaps Brewers Bay if you want a less crowded beach.

Blue Water ... Since they want the "easiest ride" because of back problems, etc. thinking Cane Garden Beach would probably be an easier ride than to Brewer's (our favorite) because of the very steep declines/inclines going to and from. :)

LuLu

Blue Water ... Since they want the "easiest ride" because of back problems, etc. thinking Cane Garden Beach would probably be an easier ride than to Brewer's (our favorite) because of the very steep declines/inclines going to and from. :)

LuLu

Yes, they're both quite steep. :eek:

I was actually going to recommend Long Bay (Tortola) for a beach since the majority of the ride is along the coast and very flat. The last ride over Mt Zion hill road is not nearly as steep and winding as the road to CGB and Brewers. Long Bay is a picture postcard beach (literally) and offers nice views, pelican diving, a sandy swimming area, and lounge rentals. Also a restaurant and restrooms. For a nice beach where snorkeling isn't the main consideration Long Bay is a great choice. But for more food and drink options CGB is the most popular choice.

The taxi ride to LB is more like 25 minutes and probably $12pp each way.

Blue Water .... Thanks for the info on Long Bay! We've never been there. Aside for the easiest taxi ride ... do you like LB better than Brewer's or CGB?

LuLu

We like LB because it's a longer, walking beach with nice views and not crowded at all. It's rocky in areas except toward the east end (to the right as you face the water). The Long Bay Beach Club downsized and has a small pool and restaurant on the beach along with beachfront rooms and cabanas. Smuggler's cove is a short drive from LB and would be worth taxi fare to see how beautiful that is, there are usually taxis there or the resort can call a local driver.

• 1 month later...
We like LB because it's a longer, walking beach with nice views and not crowded at all. It's rocky in areas except toward the east end (to the right as you face the water). The Long Bay Beach Club downsized and has a small pool and restaurant on the beach along with beachfront rooms and cabanas. Smuggler's cove is a short drive from LB and would be worth taxi fare to see how beautiful that is, there are usually taxis there or the resort can call a local driver.

Did you pay a day pass fee to use Long Bay Beach? We are a group of 5 adults (35-60 yrs) and 2 children 6 & 2. Arriving on Celebrity Summit. Would love to hang out at a quiet beach and create some lasting Caribbean memories! The little one might like a nap but I haven't received an answer from the resort on a day use room. Is there ample shade for fair skinned little ones? Are beach chairs and umbrellas available for rent? Is there changing space before heading back to the ship? Did you have a cab driver you'd recommend?? Tia for any details you can provide ;)

Did you pay a day pass fee to use Long Bay Beach? We are a group of 5 adults (35-60 yrs) and 2 children 6 & 2. Arriving on Celebrity Summit. Would love to hang out at a quiet beach and create some lasting Caribbean memories! The little one might like a nap but I haven't received an answer from the resort on a day use room. Is there ample shade for fair skinned little ones? Are beach chairs and umbrellas available for rent? Is there changing space before heading back to the ship? Did you have a cab driver you'd recommend?? Tia for any details you can provide ;)

No the resort has down-sized and no longer free day passes and rooms for the day. There is a beach restaurant and restrooms, lounges for rent but no other amenities that I know of. Some shade but not sure about umbrellas.

We just drive to Long Bay and to nearby Smuggler's Cove when staying on Tortola and t's a bust cruise ship day. Lots of room to spread out but not as many amenities as CGB.

Would Nanny Cay be a viable option in this situation?

I was researching my options due to severe anxiety about the mountain roads. I can understand logically that the drivers are very skilled and problems are unlikely, but my physical response to the "perceived threat" will be unbearable, no matter how much I tell myself "Everything's fine."

So, I hope I'm not hijacking the thread, I just thought I'd ask if Nanny Cay would work for a beach option, and if so, may be the best choice for the OP. (And it has a hotel that may allow day-use for the little one.)

(Was also considering Trellis Bay via the coast road if that is a good option for us? But taxi would cost more.) FYI- 4 adults, 1 teen.

Thank you!

Edited by minnesotamamafish

Would Nanny Cay be a viable option in this situation?

I was researching my options due to severe anxiety about the mountain roads. I can understand logically that the drivers are very skilled and problems are unlikely, but my physical response to the "perceived threat" will be unbearable, no matter how much I tell myself "Everything's fine."

So, I hope I'm not hijacking the thread, I just thought I'd ask if Nanny Cay would work for a beach option, and if so, may be the best choice for the OP. (And it has a hotel that may allow day-use for the little one.)

(Was also considering Trellis Bay via the coast road if that is a good option for us? But taxi would cost more.) FYI- 4 adults, 1 teen.

Thank you!

Long Bay (Tortola) would be a much better choice than either Nanny or Trellis IMHO, not a bad ride at all. Onabalcony could have a driver take the group to Long Bay (Beef Island) which is on the other side of the airport from Trellis Bay. But there are zero amenities, and it's more a locals beach and I wouldn't recommend that with the kids.

Long Bay (Tortola) is a beautiful, long stretch of picture postcard beach, and for a beach destination without the thrill ride I'd recommend that. Nice coastal drive most of the way.

[EDIT] - Trellis Bay is not a nice beach as beaches go, but there are a couple shops there (the Aragon pottery store is very nice) and places to enjoy a bite and a drink, notably De Loose Mongoose and Cyber Cafe. You can also take a short ferry out to Marina Cay and see that island and have lunch at Pusser's. So although not a great beach day an interesting day.

Edited by blue_water

Long Bay (Tortola) would be a much better choice than either Nanny or Trellis IMHO, not a bad ride at all. Onabalcony could have a driver take the group to Long Bay (Beef Island) which is on the other side of the airport from Trellis Bay. But there are zero amenities, and it's more a locals beach and I wouldn't recommend that with the kids.

Long Bay (Tortola) is a beautiful, long stretch of picture postcard beach, and for a beach destination without the thrill ride I'd recommend that. Nice coastal drive most of the way.

[EDIT] - Trellis Bay is not a nice beach as beaches go, but there are a couple shops there (the Aragon pottery store is very nice) and places to enjoy a bite and a drink, notably De Loose Mongoose and Cyber Cafe. You can also take a short ferry out to Marina Cay and see that island and have lunch at Pusser's. So although not a great beach day an interesting day.

Thank you so much for your details. Could you describe why Nanny Cay would not be a good choice?

Thank you so much for your details. Could you describe why Nanny Cay would not be a good choice?

Nanny Cay s an amazing marina and has grown with several condos and shops and there is a beach. So that is an option, we'd just recommend Long Bay (Tortola) for a beach destination. But LB is a longer drive of course.

Nanny Cay s an amazing marina and has grown with several condos and shops and there is a beach. So that is an option, we'd just recommend Long Bay (Tortola) for a beach destination. But LB is a longer drive of course.

Thank you for your insight. Still undecided between Long Bay-Tortola and Nanny. (Will probably go back and forth deciding until January!) 😏 But, at least I have good alternatives to going on those crazy roads! Thank you!

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to provide an update...sorry for the delay :). We ended up getting talked into going to CGB by the shuttle driver. While the roads were hilly the shuttle driver did drive pretty slow, so motion was not as much of an issue as I thought it might be...the beach was beautiful. One thing to mention if anyone has mobility issues make sure the shuttle driver drops you off at the taxi stand. My dad has a bad knee and a very bad back. Our driver dropped us off at a local entrance. It was a very long walk to the restrooms/food/vendor area for my dad. There was a taxi/shuttle area at the main entrance to the beach close to everything. We did have a great day in tortola

• 3 weeks later...