Mass Market Cruise Lines - Why no ports stops?

OCruisers

Why mass market cruise lines no longer have port stops at Trinidad? :confused:
Safety issues, largely.

Cruisers go ashore to un-wisely wander around downtown Port of Spain

thus presenting themselves as victims for a quick mugging!

Cruise lines can't/don't-like-to tell cruisers what they should do

which is that you MUST take a tour that gets you out of the city area

and into the diverse countryside!

Instead, cruise lines just stop visiting that large and interesting island.

A great shame, really!

Safety issues, largely.

Cruisers go ashore to un-wisely wander around downtown Port of Spain

thus presenting themselves as victims for a quick mugging!

Cruise lines can't/don't-like-to tell cruisers what they should do

which is that you MUST take a tour that gets you out of the city area

and into the diverse countryside!

Instead, cruise lines just stop visiting that large and interesting island.

A great shame, really!

Yes, it is a shame! :o

I've never seen a place with so many different shades of green -- lovely island!

LuLu

~~~~

• 1 year later...

I think cruisers probably gave negative reviews for the port. It's very industrial looking - not the typical beach look most Caribbean visitors are expecting.

Many cruisers are wary of cruise shore excursions because they have an undeserved reputation for being over priced, so cruisers are looking to do something on their own in Trinidad. Unfortunately, there isn't much of interest to most visitors (other than food!) near the ship.

Trinidad also has been slow to market itself as a tourist destination beyond its carnival. I spent a week there and was repeatedly told to come back during carnival, because there was so little to do other than hiking.

Princess does go to Trinidad/Tobago on the Holiday sailings,14 day, on the Ocean Princess for December 2014 & 2015. Also stops at Trinidad/Tobago on the South American itineraries , but think those voyages are more than 15 days also on the Ocean Princess.

• 2 weeks later...
So you have to go during peak times when fares are higher seems like. From what I've heard the cruise lines don't like to go that far south because of fuel costs.

Maybe so, but Barbados is not that far from Trinidad either.Think Holland America goes to Trinidad too, not sure about the dates. Would be nice if all the cruise lines would change-up the Ports they go to, instead of the same Ports all the time. I am sure it takes a bunch of planning to alter schedules but the cruise lines that do could probably see an increase in bookings, IMO.

When the price of oil skyrocketed, many ships cut back on calls to southern Caribbean calls in an effort to hold down costs. I think they've added Martinique back after eliminating it for years.

It also depends on port depth, facilities, and who knows what all else. It can all be very political.

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone know why mass market cruise lines no longer have port stops at Trinidad? :confused:

LuLu

~~~~

I was told the reason is because the port cannot accomodate BIG ships!! I have always wanted to go to Trinidad and Tobago, and will be sailing on HAL's smallest ship the Prinsendam, this Christmas/New Year on it's 16 night southern caribbean cruise which touches Scarborough, Tobago!:D

marise

I was told the reason is because the port cannot accomodate BIG ships!! I have always wanted to go to Trinidad and Tobago, and will be sailing on HAL's smallest ship the Prinsendam, this Christmas/New Year on it's 16 night southern caribbean cruise which touches Scarborough, Tobago!:D

marise

Princess does have the 14 night Holiday cruise in December on the Ocean Princess, that lines smallest ship. Although on Princess South American route bigger ships do stop there on the way to South America. The Ruby Princess does stop there & that ship is 113000 gross tons. That ship does not tender according to the Port schedule. So probably more to the reason than size of the ships.

Having stayed in Trinidad for a week about 10 years ago, it is a nice place to visit but still need to go to Tobago for a visit.

• 3 weeks later...

We just got changed with our cruise with Costa on 26th of december.

Originaly our port of call would have been Isla Margerita (which belongs to Venezuela) and because of the unrest they changed it now to Scarborough, Tobago.

Already got the information of my brother in law (who is from Grenada), that we shouldn't do something on our own but book a tour, because the people there are somehow funny.

Edited by onyx007

• 2 months later...

Carnival just added a sailing in Feb 2016 that visits Scarborough Tobago. It's a 13 day round trip from Port Canaveral with 8 port stops. Pretty nice itinerary actually, and on one of their updated ships. It's a one-time only sailing though.

Carnival just added a sailing in Feb 2016 that visits Scarborough Tobago. It's a 13 day round trip from Port Canaveral with 8 port stops. Pretty nice itinerary actually, and on one of their updated ships. It's a one-time only sailing though.

Thanks for that great info !! We will be on that cruise for sure. Ports we want to go to plus we live very close to Port Canaveral. Will call PVP on Monday to book it. Since it is very Port intensive, will probably get an ocean view instead of balcony like we usually do. While it does have 4 days at sea, don't think we could use the balcony that much, IMO.

• 8 months later...

I know it's been a few months, but I was researching Trinidad & Tobago and came across this thread. I'm on the Carnival Liberty in March 2016 and it's doing a repo cruise from SJU to Galveston. One of the stops is Scarborough, Tobago. Great deals on the cruise, too! It's 12 day and the rate is about $50/day for inside and oceanview. Just thought I'd let y'all know! Some other stops are Barbados, Grenada, Grand Cayman, St Thomas, etc.

• 1 month later...
I know it's been a few months, but I was researching Trinidad & Tobago and came across this thread. I'm on the Carnival Liberty in March 2016 and it's doing a repo cruise from SJU to Galveston. One of the stops is Scarborough, Tobago. Great deals on the cruise, too! It's 12 day and the rate is about $50/day for inside and oceanview. Just thought I'd let y'all know! Some other stops are Barbados, Grenada, Grand Cayman, St Thomas, etc.

We will be on this cruise as well. Still trying to figure out what to do in this port and Grenada. Any ideas?

• 1 year later...

We will be on a Viking Oceans itinerary this December into January 2018. One of our port stops is Scarborough......and other than this thread, I am not reading about safety issues......for those who DIY.....am I missing something? We are most often not on excursions, even when they are included.

• 1 year later...
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/trinidad-and-tobago/terrorism

This might have some impact, but don't know for sure.

Well, this certainly is not an encouraging update for those scheduled to port here. Thank you for sharing....I know that there are cruise ships still calling here this season.....