Mosquito repellent needed?

• 2 weeks later...

Mosquitoes tend to be more of a problem around sunset. One of the best ways to help repel them is to drink INDIAN tonic water as it contains Quinine. It does have a side effect of relieving leg cramps which is why some people drink it. Probably best to have it with some Gin and a slice of Lemon with some ice cubes. Children cannot have the latter so need it neat or alternatively drink Irn Bru which is a nice fizzy drink.

Regards John

We didn't encounter any mosquitos during the two weeks we spent in the Baltics (Copenhagen, Northern Germany, Tallinn, St. Petersburg, Helsinki, Stockholm).

It was heavenly to have a respite from the mosquitos that plague us at home.

I'm going to answer my own question, now that I'm home. We never saw any mosquitoes except at the port in Warnemunde at sunset. My daughter was using wifi outside the gangway right before we went aboard, and was bitten so severely that she had to go to the ship's doctor and take antibiotics. If she had just gone inside, there would have been no problem.

• 3 weeks later...
I took mosquito repellent and never regretted it - it was really useful in St.Petersburg during the evenings and in Warnemunde. Probably it depends on the weather as I heard many people haven't seen any mosquito during all their Baltic cruise..

It also varies from on year to another, this summer there were very little if any mosquitoes. Possibly weather related since July was very cold and rainy so maybe it was too cold.

• 3 weeks later...
Dont bother. Even if you get s bite it doesnt matter as they dont carry any diseases. No other precausion is necessary either as they dwell in the forests and you will be spending time in the cities.

Mosquitoes is usually found near still/slow-moving shallow water. Particular river deltas are suitable for mosquitos.