My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

HI all!

Nikki ~ I hope for all our sakes the dollar stops dropping! My DB has a place in FL & isn't happy with the situation either. I have one cruise to pay in US in Jan. so hope for the best.

If I'm not mistaken I believe when I worked here at Canada Post ('87 - '07) we were charging over 60% at one point when somebody wanted to buy a US money order. Does anybody remember it being that bad?

I saw a commercial for a new show coming on "The Discovery Channel" in early Sept. called "Cuban Chrome". It's the 1st American tv series to be produced entirely on location in Cuba.

I've set up my PVR to tape it as the old cars are one of my favourite things about Cuba. I love how brightly painted they are plus I remember the cars from the 50's being so different, not like today when you can hardly tell the makes apart.

Chimo!

~ Jo ~ :)

... Does anybody remember it being that bad?

Chimo!

~ Jo ~ :)

I remember it all too vividly, Jo. When it was just above 50% and we were determined not to forego our trips to the US, the need to penny pinch took a lot of the fun out of travel. And my sister who had a winter home in Florida would, when knowing of my pending visit, call me and ask me to bring all sorts of items she needed not wanting to pay the 50% premium there. I had thought that it was all behind us. But anyone who was salting away US dollars when it was at par is now laughing all the way to the border.

Chimo

Ron

Suggestion:

Here is photo of the Hop On Hop Off bus that runs about Havana.

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag158/ONT-CA/bustour_728_zpshwlizctu.jpg

If you are able to print and cut out the image, place it with your travel items and carry it with you when in Havana. We did this and used it twice in obtaining directions from locals who did not speak English. By just showing them the photo, they knew what we were after and pointed to the corner and sign where the bus passed. A little sign language told us to step forward when seeing the bus and wave the driver to stop.

Edited by ONT-CA

Has anyone booked any of the ship excursions yet? I see that there are three which are included in the price of the cruise: Havana, Cienfuegos and Santiago.

Our booking includes 5 excursions and I see now updated info on the Transat website for this cruise. We will not likely take all included trips as have done some before on other trips.

This cruise is so intriguing I am not minding the unknown.

http://www.transatholidays.com/en/South/Cuba-Cruise-Discover-a-Cuba-beyond-the-resort?ID=55578&tmpl=DO

Capital One cards are great for international travel. For cash, I exchanged money (Canadian $) at a bank in Cienfuegos. The rate there was better than the money exchange facility outside the gates of the port. Bring Euros or Canadian dollars if you can, as you'll avoid the 10% fee levied on USD exchanges.

There seems to be a lot of speculation about how full the ship will feel next season. The sailing I was on last season began in Montego Bay with 707 passengers and was considered "fully booked" because many of the rooms were empty for a few days until we reached Havana. There ended up being 877 passengers from Havana to Montego Bay. This was, by all crew accounts, the largest number they had ever had on board. It was not the chaos that it seems like some are imagining. (as an aside, I just returned from the Serenade of the Seas, which carried ~3 times that number, and is a relatively smaller ship within its fleet). My notes indicate the seatings in the dining room were open at 6:15 and 8:30. They were done on a first-come, first-served basis. The only time the extra passengers became evident was the formal night on Tuesday, our sea day that followed the Havana embarkation, when the dining room ended up full at the second seating. I had dinner at the buffet that night instead (and to answer a previous question, the buffet is entirely self service). The additional restaurant on Deck 5 was never placed into service even with the full load of passengers.

Another question for you, is it OK to book a flight into MoBay on the day of departure? I can find a non-stop flight that arrives in MoBay at 2:20 pm, and it appears that the ships departs at 8 pm. I've only flown into MoBay once, but had no big delays. Looking for advice from those more well-traveled than myself. I'd book a day ahead of time if I had to, but it will be hard to do with my teaching job - they frown on a personal day off the day before break begins. But as a history/government teacher, maybe they'd be OK with it! I'm so excited to be researching this awesome opportunity!!

I would personally feel more comfortable flying in the day before. The winter weather (at home and that I'd need to fly through) was my main concern. When I went in March, it was much less expensive to take a connecting flight than to go nonstop. I had the choice of connecting through Chicago, Philadelphia or Charlotte, as the fares were all within $5 of each other. I flew to Charlotte the night before and then on to Montego Bay the morning the ship sailed. Basically didn't sleep that night as I was worried the alarm wouldn't work (and I had two of them!) and I'd miss my plane and thus the cruise. The inevitable winter storm hit the northeast that morning with snow and ice, but was just a lot of rain down in the Carolinas. The immigration line in Montego Bay was awful and took more than an hour, but I made it to the pier two hours after the plane landed. The port is not too far from the airport. A blog with a day-by-day account of my Cuba Cruise experience in March is linked on my profile, and you may find it useful as you plan. Which sailing are you booked on? I'll be going again, on February 29. Cuba is an incredible experience for anyone interested in history and government!

... My notes indicate the seatings in the dining room were open at 6:15 and 8:30. They were done on a first-come, first-served basis. The only time the extra passengers became evident was the formal night on Tuesday, our sea day that followed the Havana embarkation, when the dining room ended up full at the second seating. I had dinner at the buffet that night instead (and to answer a previous question, the buffet is entirely self service). The additional restaurant on Deck 5 was never placed into service even with the full load of passengers.

On our final portion of our cruise in January there were about half your stated number of passengers and they had set two seatings in the one dining room. We thought then that with any more passengers they would surely have to open the second dining room. Was there any reason given as to why they kept the second one closed? Did they or how did they discern who had seating rights to each time period? I can see three problems with the one room with your stated numbers. The lineup at the doors must have been ridiculously long and time consuming, secondly those at the end of the line exceeding first seating capacity would have a long wait for their meal and finally the bum's rush as we call it to move the first seating out on time makes for an unpleasant evening of dining. Can we ask you to elaborate on these issues. Thanks

Chimo

Ron

On our final portion of our cruise in January there were about half your stated number of passengers and they had set two seatings in the one dining room. We thought then that with any more passengers they would surely have to open the second dining room. Was there any reason given as to why they kept the second one closed? Did they or how did they discern who had seating rights to each time period? I can see three problems with the one room with your stated numbers. The lineup at the doors must have been ridiculously long and time consuming, secondly those at the end of the line exceeding first seating capacity would have a long wait for their meal and finally the bum's rush as we call it to move the first seating out on time makes for an unpleasant evening of dining. Can we ask you to elaborate on these issues. Thanks

Chimo

Ron

I do remember a mention that the other dining room was used for the European sailings. It may be that if the Cuba sailings are always at capacity, it will make sense to prepare the second room but it likely wasn't deemed necessary for just half a week of peak demand.

There was no assignment of dining times. I always came to the later time, so I can't speak to how the crowds were at the early seating. For the late seating, the line was always very long before they opened the doors [back to the small stage in the lounge where the piano player and singer performed], but once the doors opened everyone was seated very efficiently and quickly. The doors remained open for 15 minutes after they opened for each seating. As for getting everyone out, dinner usually lasted no more than 90 minutes, so it was possible to get to the show in the theatre afterwards. The time between the two seatings is only 15 minutes short of the usual 2.5-hour gap in place on the other ships I've sailed on, and the service moved at a reasonable pace more in keeping with a mainstream cruise line's anytime/my time/etc dining than the more lengthy set time pace. They were even more efficient by having everyone place orders for dessert at the same time as the other courses. They didn't seem to have any difficulty having the dining room ready in advance of the second seating.

Originally Posted by AGnAU View Post

Has anyone booked any of the ship excursions yet? I see that there are three which are included in the price of the cruise: Havana, Cienfuegos and Santiago.

Our booking includes 5 excursions and I see now updated info on the Transat website for this cruise. We will not likely take all included trips as have done some before on other trips.

This cruise is so intriguing I am not minding the unknown.

http://www.transatholidays.com/en/So...=55578&tmpl=DO

OK, thanks - we have a different website

http://yourcubacruise.com/

which doesn't have the inclusions your company is providing.

Edited by AGnAU
left out original

I booked directly with Your Cuba Cruise, embarking in Montego Bay. Four excursions are included (because we are embarking in M.B., fifth is not available to us).

http://yourcubacruise.com/your-trip/excursions-included-your-cruise

Cabo de San Antonio

Ready to revel in a rare combination of adventure and leisure, both enjoyed in harmony with the lush natural beauty of stunning (see site for more description)

Havana City Tour - Half Day

This is a great way to get acquainted with the incredible city of Havana. Our tour will start with a visit to the Historic military (see site for more description)

Cienfuegos City Tour

From the Boulevard to Marti Park we’ll see the Triumph Arch, Bar Meson El Palatino, the oldest building in the city; La Casa del (see site for more description)

Panoramic Santiago

We will stop at El Morro Castle a UNESCO world heritage site and Santa Ifigenia Cemetary to witness the changing of the guard outside (see site for more description)

Never thought of that, for those who embark in Montego Bay miss that excursion. That is one I am looking forward to as I have never been to Jamaica before.

We were just assigned our window cabin # today, 6009. I wondered if that is the side facing shore, and do you see much of the shore line during the cruise?

Never thought of that, for those who embark in Montego Bay miss that excursion. That is one I am looking forward to as I have never been to Jamaica before.

We were just assigned our window cabin # today, 6009. I wondered if that is the side facing shore, and do you see much of the shore line during the cruise?

Since the ship does not circle Cuba this season I expect both sides will have shore for half the cruise. We were really too far out for it to matter. I would notice sometimes a tiny lighthouse on shore, but be too far away and too hazy to get a decent photo.

Try to be on deck when entering the harbors for Cienfuegos and Santiago de Cuba. The shore lines are close on both sides. I loved the gps map app that I had on my tablet.

Screenshot_2015-02-19-09-04-03_zpsakledofl.png

...We were just assigned our window cabin # today, 6009. I wondered if that is the side facing shore, and do you see much of the shore line during the cruise?

Your cabin is on the Port side or the left hand side of the ship when facing forward. All things being equal (based on our previous crises) while in the port of Havana for two days, your window will be facing the city on the bay with a great view of the night lights and the fortress across the bay. Those on the other side will be facing a terminal building. Our upcoming cruises will place us also on the Port side for the first time, which we are looking forward to. There is no advantage while out to sea, water is water. And as to other ports either side is great viewing but as mentioned by KandCsailing be up on deck when you enter the harbours for the views are just great

I am even more excited with every bit of information! I was forever forgetting Port and Starboard sides until hubby said remember when the ship leaves port it left.

That GPS app would be very interesting to view but we don't plan to take any electronics along.

It may come as a bit of a surprise to many, certainly to us, that with the exception of pre sailing and pre arranged purchases, shipboard accounts will be charged in U.S. funds.

Thankfully we have our cruise bookings arranged and deposits made in Canadian dollars. Pre sailing offers are now being made for tours, beverage packages and pre paid gratuities that can be added to our bookings in Canadian dollars, however, should one wish to arrange these items separately after final payment date, they will be charged in U.S. funds. The celestial height of the U.S. dollar has made this a very different cruise indeed.

It may come as a bit of a surprise to many, certainly to us, that with the exception of pre sailing and pre arranged purchases, shipboard accounts will be charged in U.S. funds.

Thankfully we have our cruise bookings arranged and deposits made in Canadian dollars. Pre sailing offers are now being made for tours, beverage packages and pre paid gratuities that can be added to our bookings in Canadian dollars, however, should one wish to arrange these items separately after final payment date, they will be charged in U.S. funds. The celestial height of the U.S. dollar has made this a very different cruise indeed.

Yes, we too were quite surprised! But the package cost was quite reasonable and charged in Canadian dollars - this now puts us on an even footing with the folks who signed up with the new owners.

Got the email yesterday and DH says he would like to book in the time frame in order to use CDN. My concern is using the big buses for excursions, as I hate the " cattle " mode. I wonder if it is possible to just prepay for gratuities and drinks. No one seems to answer emails. Is this a new company?

Nikki

Edited by gubby

Hi Nikki,

We booked through Transat and I was told if we did not want to go on any of the included excursion then we could swap it for another and pay the difference. This would mean booking on the cruise ship at their higher prices. I do not know the value of the included excursions. If you do not go on an excursion at all, there is no refund.

Still a good value in my mind even if we only go on one or two trips.

Got the email yesterday and DH says he would like to book in the time frame in order to use CDN. My concern is using the big buses for excursions, as I hate the " cattle " mode. I wonder if it is possible to just prepay for gratuities and drinks. No one seems to answer emails. Is this a new company?

Nikki

Good questions. It is becoming more obvious that we are no longer dealing with the original Cuba Cruises but rather Celestyal Cruises who's logo appears at the foot of the CC advertisements. They are now trying to deal with the bookings that were made prior to their acquisition and which were made in Canadian funds. There is a little arm twisting going on with the threat of U.S. funds applying for items over and above the standard fare. In our case, being aboard for three weeks, why would we want to take an identical bus tour each and every Monday? There are better ways to see Havana but the rub is how. Each previously arrival saw situations being different. We originally had a private English speaking tour guide and driver show the two of us the whole city for half a day and for half the costs of an excursion for one. But it's a hit and miss situation. But being in Havana overnight give one more time to work it out.

As to purchasing a partial package we are waiting their call which they stated we would receive. I doubt we will succeed but will try. As to tips, we always leave them on account. The previous charge of $10 CDN a day would then become approx. $14 CDN when converting to U.S. But that is what one would pay aboard any of the big ships anyway. As to beverage packages, our situation is one of each, one Alcohol, one Soft. Doubt they could accommodate that. But drinks were reasonably priced and if that remains so then their conversion to U.S. would still make them so.

We will post the results of our discussions in their upcoming call and ask other to do likewise.

Chimo

Ron

Good questions. It is becoming more obvious that we are no longer dealing with the original Cuba Cruises but rather Celestyal Cruises who's logo appears at the foot of the CC advertisements. They are now trying to deal with the bookings that were made prior to their acquisition and which were made in Canadian funds. There is a little arm twisting going on with the threat of U.S. funds applying for items over and above the standard fare. In our case, being aboard for three weeks, why would we want to take an identical bus tour each and every Monday? There are better ways to see Havana but the rub is how. Each previously arrival saw situations being different. We originally had a private English speaking tour guide and driver show the two of us the whole city for half a day and for half the costs of an excursion for one. But it's a hit and miss situation. But being in Havana overnight give one more time to work it out.

As to purchasing a partial package we are waiting their call which they stated we would receive. I doubt we will succeed but will try. As to tips, we always leave them on account. The previous charge of $10 CDN a day would then become approx. $14 CDN when converting to U.S. But that is what one would pay aboard any of the big ships anyway. As to beverage packages, our situation is one of each, one Alcohol, one Soft. Doubt they could accommodate that. But drinks were reasonably priced and if that remains so then their conversion to U.S. would still make them so.

We will post the results of our discussions in their upcoming call and ask other to do likewise.

Chimo

Ron

No, they do not respond to emails! Best to telephone 1-416-848-4189 and have your reservation number handy.

No, they do not respond to emails! Best to telephone 1-416-848-4189 and have your reservation number handy.

Thanks for that but their message did say:

We will follow up shortly with a call and hope you'll decide by Friday the 10th September.

They control the offer and we await to see if we can negotiate it into separate parts. Wish us luck.