Why visiting Santiago

keltic

Either you call at Coruña or Vigo, I highly recommend coming to my city. In some previous posts I had explained lots of details about the sight. But.....pics are much better. I share some of them I have taken in my free time.

I hope you enjoy them.

uploadfromtaptalk1441002724041.jpg.856a03e3fcda97dc796973900d7e4da2.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1441002548977.jpg.633087ce528f39250bab983b252588d7.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1441002572751.jpg.b1a58f697792134d9e65e3e39fc61dd9.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1441002601028.jpg.04038b25f46ff5fbda42be506aca9599.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1441002614251.jpg.60c64441243d953d1dc4a2d714ab957e.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1441002629883.jpg.36a13068dea8b585222b77e3a962e78d.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1441002659301.jpg.99c2dcab113e371b9716a18c215b2203.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1441002676810.jpg.529b3898eae3257e6370dfeb89a09b5f.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1441002692171.jpg.efd3608058fa719f812d989d4292a247.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1441002707831.jpg.a21c1728cc5ab182dcba6096b39765ce.jpg

Hello Keltic,

Pictures dont do justice to your beautiful city, which happens to be one of my favorite spots in the world! Leaving for Madrid this Friday, and a couple of days later onto Sarria, for a repeat of that segment of the Camino with friends. Can't wait!

Keltic, would you be in Santiago around Sept 14-17? Would love to meet you if you have time for a cup of café con leche!

In 1991 we spent six weeks in Spain on our own, a middleaged couple staying in pensiones and hostals. I fondly remember the room we had above a bar in Santiago, just down the street from the Cathedral. What a beautiful church.

I wish we had seen more of the countryside.

• 1 month later...

Keltic,

We will be docking in Ferrol, Spain on our cruise next year and we would very much like to visit Santiago de Compostela. Public transportation times do not work with our time in port (8am-5pm). Can you recommend another method to get there other than the ship excursions?

Keltic,

We will be docking in Ferrol, Spain on our cruise next year and we would very much like to visit Santiago de Compostela. Public transportation times do not work with our time in port (8am-5pm). Can you recommend another method to get there other than the ship excursions?

Unfortunately it's too far away to be feasible for public transportation. I wonder why ships are going there for. It has a nice scenery but the city is not particularly interesting. Even taxi would be expensive. Car rental?.

Enviado desde mi GT-N8000 mediante Tapatalk

Wasn't General Franco from El Ferrol?

Yes he was from Ferrol. It's a bit neglected city. Shipyard, naval base and a bit in crisis. There's been an increasing interest in the regional government to promote it as a port of call, just to compensate their situation. They negociate with cruise lines to get any call.

But if we cannot get anywhere interesting from the port, it sort of defeats the purpose of docking there. We are on the Oceania Marina, docking there in June 2016. I noticed that later Oceania ships will be docking in A Coruna, which is a more convenient and attractive port. I guess we will be looking at a rental car.

But if we cannot get anywhere interesting from the port, it sort of defeats the purpose of docking there. We are on the Oceania Marina, docking there in June 2016. I noticed that later Oceania ships will be docking in A Coruna, which is a more convenient and attractive port. I guess we will be looking at a rental car.

As far as know you might look for private tours companies which could offer better prices. Galicia Mystic Tours is one. I suppose you will be offered Coruña or other places on the area. Nice, but not as nice as Santiago.

Thanks for all the help Keltic. I will continue to research what we can do from this port.

I would use one of your O life excursions for this port...transfer to Santiago and do it on your own. Note...I originally had your cruise booked, but shifted to another cruise because I was banging my head against the wall trying to get from Ferrol to SdC. But, looking at the excursions choices (and a few other difficult public transportation ports), I noticed they had a transport only for the difficult ports..so perhaps I shouldn't have switched so soon.

Buggins - We purchased the cruise before OLife was offered, but since it does look like more than one port is difficult to DIY and have few options for private tours, we may consider re-booking to get OLife. Cost for 3 tours about equals the additional cost of OLife. Now we will have to figure out how to spend all the OBC if we don't use it to buy a tour. Can't drink enough on a 7 day cruise :)

Buggins - We purchased the cruise before OLife was offered, but since it does look like more than one port is difficult to DIY and have few options for private tours, we may consider re-booking to get OLife. Cost for 3 tours about equals the additional cost of OLife. Now we will have to figure out how to spend all the OBC if we don't use it to buy a tour. Can't drink enough on a 7 day cruise :)

We also were before Olife..but did see, when looking back, that it solved the issues for Ferro, Verdon, and St. Malo (to Mont St. Michel). I booked my new cruise at a higher price, then Olife was added so that worked well for us on some hard to reach areas. Your coastal charms itinerary is a really cool itinerary.

You might be able to find someone to share a taxi...I would have jumped on it.

Bugging - I just purchased the OLife option. We only had to pay $300 more, which was great. We got 3 free excursions, wifi and gratuities. Maybe it was less $$ since we already had gratuities included in our initial booking. So no more worries about getting to Santiago de Compostela and Bordeaux. Thanks Keltic and Buggins. We're all set.

Bugging - I just purchased the OLife option. We only had to pay $300 more, which was great. We got 3 free excursions, wifi and gratuities. Maybe it was less $$ since we already had gratuities included in our initial booking. So no more worries about getting to Santiago de Compostela and Bordeaux. Thanks Keltic and Buggins. We're all set.

Good to hear! Normally I hate cruise ship excursions, but the O board assured me I could use some as "transportation only" and just find out where the bus will pick up people. For your cruise in particular it works, really well -- public transportation options are near impossible. I even checked car rentals...and they were tough if you needed an automatic.

For my cruise, I'm planning on using them for one way transportation only in two ports Marseille (to Aix) and Livorno (to Lucca) to make things logistically easier. We'll just find our own way back.