Can i make an 11:15 flight out of fort lauderdale?

Can I make an 11:15 flight out of Ft. Lauderdale departing from a cruise docking in Miami??? They recommend flights after 2PM, but there's a HUGE gap in flights with NOTHING between 11:15 and 5PM!

Which ship? If you were docking in FLL, you'd have a good chance. Miami could be another story. So no good flights from MIA?

No, doubt you will make it! You can try, even if your off as soon as possible off ship and through customs then drive up to FFL you will likely experience security lines with other ships passengers off ships in FFL. Your morning will be rushed and frantic,no I would pass, take a later flight,

Mark

Can I make an 11:15 flight out of Ft. Lauderdale departing from a cruise docking in Miami??? They recommend flights after 2PM, but there's a HUGE gap in flights with NOTHING between 11:15 and 5PM!

You CAN -- but you might not. If you can live with the uncertainty - including the possibility of facing an even HUGER gap in flight cost if you miss your scheduled flight (possibly even paying for a hotel if there are NO available flights) - go for it.

Why do you think they recommend flights after 2:00 PM?

I personally would rather sit in the airport for a couple of hours than try to deal with all of the "if's" involved with such an early flight. I like to give myself plenty of time so I don't have to rush.

To make this flight, you will need to self-disembark at the earliest possible time. If you are in a suite or have FTTF on Carnival, you can get off with the first group. I would have a car and driver waiting outside the Miami cruise terminal to take you directly to FLL (45 minutes) so you don't have to wait for a taxi. Make sure you all have your Trusted Traveler for the airport so you can go through the faster security line OR fly First Class - either will get you Pre-Check status. If you self-disembark, have a dedicated car and driver and are Pre-Check, I don't think you will have any trouble making the 11:15am flight.

That is around the recommended flight time out of FLL for passengers arriving in Port Everglades, not Port of Miami, for some good reasons: your arrival time and/or disembarkation time may be delayed, customs and immigration may be understaffed resulting in long and slow lines, TSA at FLL may be understaffed resulting in lines out the door (I've seen that), etc. Those same reasons can hold up a departure from Port of Miami and you then have to add potential traffic problems getting to FLL. You didn't say what day of the week you are disembarking but weekends obviously have less traffic than weekdays.

If you like living on the edge and decide to go with it, make sure you have a well thought out Plan B in case you miss the flight. Will you be charged - and how much - to change your flight? When is the next scheduled flight and does it usually have available seats? Should you be traveling during the high season most flights - especially on the weekend - fly full. In an absolute worst case scenario are you willing to risk having to spend a night in FLL?

Yes, and I actually just booked my flights for my cruise out of POM and then flying into FLL. We've done this before and have never had an issue. ( I'm sure you understand that there can be issues, delays, etc.) In general it will be fine.

Our last cruise we had a 12:30 flight out of FLL. We self disembarked as soon as the ship was cleared. We did have a private van waiting for us (we had 6 adults and luggage so we did a transfer company). We hopped in and were checking into the airport before 8:00 am. While in line to check in they asked if anyone was going to Milwaukee (we were) and wanted to catch the 8:15 flight. We volunteered, scurried up to gate and were at home in Milwaukee eating lunch by 11:30 am. An hour earlier than we were scheduled to leave!!

Now I know that's not going to happen very often, but because it was a weekend, we disembarked with luggage in hand and had a car waiting, it worked out that way.

We've done this on other occasions and have made it with no issues. Plan on doing it again in January with an 11:15 am flight. It's on Southwest, so if worse comes to worse, we get on a later plane. There are plenty of them that day.

Edited by mrsfuzzmo

Hi there

This question or something similar is asked very often on this website. I would think almost weekly.

The answer is always the same. Of course you can make the flight. Many people will even tell you how they were at the airport by 09:00, maybe even earlier.

You hardly ever hear about the people that didn't make it for any number of reasons. Think about how often you hear about this ship or another being delayed. Not likely to happen to you, but it could.

It's so much easier (and cheaper) to just rent a car (or something like that) and do something for the day.

have a great cruise

Everyone who asks this question (at least every other day on CC) knows the answer already.

Maybe yes and maybe no. And you will have little control as you are at the mercy of the CBP (Customs and Border Protection) folks to quickly clear your ship. We have been on many cruises (dozens in and out of Miami) where the ship has been cleared by 7am. We have also been on cruises where CBP held the entire ship until around 9:30 (it has happened to us 3 times) for various reasons. You really need to be off the ship with your luggage by 7:30...and then have some kind of transfer waiting (or you have to wait in a possibly long taxi queue). This should have you at FLL by 8:30. So, are you feeling lucky today?

We would take the gamble if flying on Southwest (because there are no penalties for changing your flight) but would not want to take the chance with other airlines. And if you are doing this on a Sat or Sunday....keep in mind that the Security line at FLL for the Southwest flights..can be terrible.

Hank

It's possible but highly unlikely. Look at when you have to be at the AP not when your flight leaves.

For an 11:15 flight you need to be at the AP no later then 9:45, 9:15 would be better given the TSA lines. Do you really think you can be off the ship, through customs, with your luggage & on your way by 8:30? What if there is traffic? What if some terrorist does something somewhere in the world? Too many what ifs for me.

Remember - it is not the flight time but the required arrival time at the airport. You also need to work your way backward timewise instead of forward.

For an 11:15 flight, you have to be at the gate at 10:45 at the absolute latest or you may lose your seat. To be at the gate at 10:45, you should be at the airport at 9:30 considering check in lines, TSA, etc delays. I have been at FLL were there were almost no check in lines and I have also been there where the check in lines were very long. Same for the TSA lines. Having a TSA pre check on your reservation would help here.

Google says that it takes 38 minutes to get from the Miami cruise ship terminal w/o any traffic. Figure a bit of traffic and make it 60 minutes. That means that you you have to be in your taxi or van and moving at 8:30. If there is any accident or any major event occurring that will slow things up, that figure is out the window.

When is your ship due in? How long will it take to disembark? Do you plan to do walkoff or a normal disembarkment? Are there alternative ways to get home if you miss the 11:15 flight. What are the odds that if you will get on one of the alternative later flights or are you possibly looking at a $150 motel stay plus meals to stay over and make a flight the next day.

You may make it but if you do, you will be frazzled with worry. If it were me, I would relax. Get off the ship after the big rush. Buy a good book to read at the airport and have lunch there. Then if you do get to the airport early enough and there is space on the early flight, ask if you can switch your reservation at no cost.

I want the end of my strips to be sort of relaxing and not to have to worry about whether I will make the flight home. However, that is just me.

DON

Does a ship usually dock at 9? If so then ignore my comment.

Ships usually dock around six or seven - but passengers cannot debark until cleared - which often takes an hour or so - and sometimes significantly more - so getting off "as soon as possible" has little firm meaning.

Ships usually dock around six or seven - but passengers cannot debark until cleared - which often takes an hour or so - and sometimes significantly more - so getting off "as soon as possible" has little firm meaning.

The ships I've been on have all arrived by 6:00AM. Guess just lucky.

In May, we had a noon flight scheduled out of FLL. We self assisted at POM as soon as clearance given. Literally maybe 5th group off ship. No delays at customs, etc. Had pre-arranged shuttle waiting for us. And off we went by 8:30.... BUT we hit standstill traffic on I-95.... accident. Sat for quite a while. Driver eventually able to exit freeway, and used side roads (frequent traffic light stops, etc)... finally arrive at FLL only to find security lines HUGE!!!

Yes, we made our flight.... but I'll never put us on a flight that early again. After a cruise we are ready to get home ASAP, but I would rather wait than experience nerve wracking "what ifs" again. Next cruise our flight not til later in day; yes we will have some "down time" but at least we avoid hassle of trying to re-book or find a new way home.

Good Luck - it may work, but it may not.

It does not only matter when the ship arrives - most do arrive by 6:00 or 7:00. Nobody gets off the ship until it is cleared by CBP - and there have been times when no one gets off until 9:00. The more ships arriving that day, the better the chances of slower CBP clearance - also the greater likelihood of traffic between Miami and FLL - and, finally, the greater likelihood of significant delays at the airport.

If the recommended is 2:00 why would you even consider nearly 3 hours earlier?

In May, we had a noon flight scheduled out of FLL. We self assisted at POM as soon as clearance given. Literally maybe 5th group off ship. No delays at customs, etc. Had pre-arranged shuttle waiting for us. And off we went by 8:30.... BUT we hit standstill traffic on I-95.... accident. Sat for quite a while. Driver eventually able to exit freeway, and used side roads (frequent traffic light stops, etc)... finally arrive at FLL only to find security lines HUGE!!!

Yes, we made our flight.... but I'll never put us on a flight that early again. After a cruise we are ready to get home ASAP, but I would rather wait than experience nerve wracking "what ifs" again. Next cruise our flight not til later in day; yes we will have some "down time" but at least we avoid hassle of trying to re-book or find a new way home.

Good Luck - it may work, but it may not.

And what non-frequent flyers may not realize is that, in this day and age of packed aircraft, that "rebook" could be the day after tomorrow.

What navybankerteacher is trying to tell you is that it doesn't matter what time a ship ARRIVES, but when it is CLEARED so that pax can debark. Sometimes the clearing process can hit snags...not the norm, but it can and does happen.

Hi, 11/19/15 returning on CCL Victory, we self assisted disembarkation, pre-reserved SAS transportation from the Port of Miami to FLL. We checked in at FLL a 8:58 am.