Voom surf and stream?

Paying for streaming is a waste of money unless you are on a ship with O3b service (i.e. Allure, Oasis and a few other). For example, I've been on the Independance for two weeks and I'm not able to stream "Fox News". The Indy uses high orbit garbage provided by Harris Caprock. Passengers and crew on this great ship suffer with this inferior service.

To your question, Surf and Surf and Streaming was available on this ship. I always pay for Surf and Streaming since I get the D+ discount.

Edited by serialcruiser48

Yes many did, however that was over 6 months ago and more recently surf has no longer been available to purchase through the cruise planner.

Surf & Stream was the only thing offered thru the cruise planner for a TA this coming April and October.

Paying for streaming is a waste of money unless you are on a ship with O3b service (i.e. Allure, Oasis and a few other). For example, I've been on the Independance for two weeks and I'm not able to stream "Fox News". The Indy uses high orbit garbage provided by Harris Caprock. Passengers and crew on this great ship suffer with this inferior service.

To your question, Surf and Surf and Streaming was available on this ship. I always pay for Surf and Streaming since I get the D+ discount.

If you can't stream anything, did you visit guest services? That's a big deal if they advertise streaming, and you can't.

I was on the Anthem and I suspect they have the O3b as its one of the newer ships, and I had to visit guest services for my streaming issue. Data came and I could actually scrub the video and see where the video was, but it would not actually play, it was weird. But when the IT guy tried to do it with his own device, it was the same. He said he would have to "diagnose it further" and let me know. That was like day 5 of my cruise and since that visit, I had no further problems streaming.

I'm going on the Grandeur in about a month. I got the internet surf and stream package again because it was on sale, and I liked the streaming capability (I will be sailing solo). If it can't stream, I'm going to have it removed.

Isn't surf and stream $17.99/day total on board? On the UK cruiseplanner it's saying £12.60/day for surf and stream 1 device, that works out at about $15.51. I'm platinum so would get 15% discount on board so that works out at $15.25 with the onboard discount, so in my case, there is no advantage to purchasing prior to the cruise?

That is correct, for one a one device package.

Thought so, there isn't anything added onto the $17.99/day like a gratuity or anything right? I can't quite remember as last year I managed to get the 30% discount by purchasing on the cruise planner, seems like that has stopped :(

Thought so, there isn't anything added onto the $17.99/day like a gratuity or anything right? I can't quite remember as last year I managed to get the 30% discount by purchasing on the cruise planner, seems like that has stopped :(

No gratuity added to VOOM packages ... yet. All those poor IT folks down in the bowels of the ship are being stiffed.

I can't quite remember as last year I managed to get the 30% discount by purchasing on the cruise planner, seems like that has stopped :(

Without the discount pre-cruise, you may as well wait to get on board and get the Surf tier which is not available online.

Edited by Biker19

Without the discount pre-cruise, you may as well wait to get on board and get the Surf tier which is not available online.

I could do that, I'm going on the Jewel of the Seas in August which I believe still has the old Satellite stuff so maybe the speed won't be that much different, it was pretty slow on Surf and Stream on Vision of the Seas last August (maybe 2Mb/s down but the latency played the biggest part probably as always).

I could do that, I'm going on the Jewel of the Seas in August which I believe still has the old Satellite stuff so maybe the speed won't be that much different, it was pretty slow on Surf and Stream on Vision of the Seas last August (maybe 2Mb/s down but the latency played the biggest part probably as always).

Surf will have you throttled down to about .5 Mbps but you are correct that it's the latency that kills general performance.

Surf will have you throttled down to about .5 Mbps but you are correct that it's the latency that kills general performance.

I'll just be web browsing since watching Youtube etc was hopeless on Surf and Stream last time so 0.5Mb/s will probably be fine and same as before.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Majesty has O3B and it was pretty sad for Stream

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2545343593

3.87 Mb/s download

2.31 Mb/s upload

199 ms for the ping

Oh that's a shame :( I had Surf and Stream on Allure in 2015 and it was 25Mb/s down and 10Mb/s up, I loved it!

Edited by cuddylier

That's much better than many other ships.

OTownNick is able to Periscope at that speed. Kind of spotty some of the time.

I seem to remember getting almost 7 on Freedom this summer. I have not tried it on Oasis yet.

I think its cruise specific or region specific. They are still offering 30% off both my Grandeur cruises this year.

Oh that's a shame :( I had Surf and Stream on Allure in 2015 and it was 25Mb/s down and 10Mb/s up, I loved it!

Those were the days. It seems that even on the newer ships, speed is being throttled - to about 5 Mbps for Stream, though some ships have higher limits. Have not seen 25 Mbps reported in the last year.

OTownNick is able to Periscope at that speed. Kind of spotty some of the time.

I seem to remember getting almost 7 on Freedom this summer. I have not tried it on Oasis yet.

We had no luck trying to Periscope on Brilliance last month.

Majesty has O3B and it was pretty sad for Stream

3.87 Mb/s download

2.31 Mb/s upload

199 ms for the ping

4-5 Mbps down seems to be the new norm for Stream with a few exceptions. That low ping, though, makes a diff on overall perceived performance.