What kind of bag do you take off ship with you?

mommykim

I have been looking at the case that came with my camera and it is very obviously a camera case. I am wondering what kind of case or whatever you guys take off the ship with you in port to hold the lenses and such you think you'll need for the day?

I have been looking at the case that came with my camera and it is very obviously a camera case. I am wondering what kind of case or whatever you guys take off the ship with you in port to hold the lenses and such you think you'll need for the day?

I take a backpack, it can hold two beach towels and whatever else we need to bring, plus I don't have to carry anything and can keep my hands free.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I carry a LowePro 100 AW sling bag that hold camera w/attached lens as well as water bottle, jacket, tripos, towel, etc. It is very lightweight, orange, and looks more like a hiking bag than a camera bag.

I recently purchased the LowePro Slingshot Edge 250 AW for my Fuji X-T1 and 16-55mm lens. I like the slender style of this bag. The mesh side pocket can hold a bottle of water and the top compartment can hold extra batteries, sunglasses, a small flash unit, etc. There's also a front zip pocket that can hold a cell phone, pens, media cards, etc.

I'm not a sling bag person and prefer backpacks, but this bag has a comfortable strap and the bag feels well distributed across my back. I bought mine at my local camera shop, but saw that Best Buy had a good price...which my camera shop price matched.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Since I shoot with Sony A6X00 cameras, I don't need much of a bag. I carry my primary camera on a BlackRapid strap and a waist pack with a second body with a complimentary lens mounted and a third lens depending on what the day might offer. It's large enough to pack batteries, an OpTech rain sleeve and a disposable poncho.

If it's a casual port or I want to be more discreet, I'll just take the one camera in the pack and take it out as needed.

Dave

I throw my 8-15mm in my cargo shorts pocket and leave the 28-300mm on my camera, hanging around my neck. I got tired of lugging a bag everywhere.

Were I to need a bag, I'd look at the ones mentioned above, plus Crumpler's offerings. Theirs tend to be less identifiable as camera bags, which might make you less of a target for theft. *Might*

It all depends on what you are hauling and the value of the equipment you want to protect.

I tend to go high end as I have a lot of gear to protect when I carry several components.

On a cruise when I may just go having fun at the beach or snorkeling a cheap bag for my point and shoot will do. For serious photos for the ship, landscapes, tours etc. I tend to carry a hefty bag for tripod, lenses, batteries, CF and SD cards, diffusers, flash units /brackets and so on.

I have several versions of styles except backpack styles, I don't like my gear on my back. I like it in my side or in my hand. That is just me. In foreign lands I just don't want to tempt some sticky fingers from getting into my backpack from my back especially in crowded situtations.

The SKB brand for DSLR is almost bullet proof. I even have SKB cases for my rifles and shotguns. They don't hold everything but for your go-to gear SKB camera case cannot be beat.

For a single kens and DSLR set up you can look at your brand and see if something like Nikon CF-DC4 suits your needs

For tossing in several items and having a bag that 'gives' a little the Billingham Hadley Pro bag or similar is a goid option.

Backpack styles abound, Lowpro is good if you want to go that route.

You can go low end somewhat basic protection and buy some bags as cheap as $25 for a dslr or $6 for a Nikon Coolpix AW130.

Best bet is to visit a good camera store and check out the variations of bags compared to your gear.

Good luck!

I second the Thinktank photo products http:http://www.thinktankphoto.com I use either the Airport International or Airport Advantage depending on where we are going and the size of the airplane. My newest the Advantage will fit in the overhead of a regional jet or under the seat. Once on the ship for shore excursions I use a Thinktank Lens Changer that I put in a regular backback

Jansport that I have had for 20 years with beach towels, sun screen, rain sleeves, water bottle, etc.

For light trips the Retrospective 7 but can add one of the lens changers to the side to increase the capacity or to hold a water bottle. None of these bags look like a "camera" bag especially the rollers more like typical rollerboard.

OK DW says I have as many camera bags as she has shoes, but you have to have the right bag to go with the trip!! Ok does sound a lot like shoes; the right bag to go with the outfit.

You did not say what type of camera you have and how much photo and other stuff you want to carry. This would affect one's answer to your question. I have a Sony A6000. I also take telephoto lens. I put the camera on a waste strap and I wear a photo vest with enough pockets to hold what I need to carry.

If I have to carry more stuff, I just throw it all into a non-descript backpack.

DON

I was just going to start a new bag thread but will instead build on this one. I am looking for a day bag for travel. I currently have a Think Tank Sling-o-Matic (no longer sold??) which holds all of my gear nicely, but is a little bulky. As I get older, I'm also moving away from the sling concept as I want to distribute weight better. I will probably still use the sling to get everything to/from where I'm going, but then move what I need into a smaller bag for the day. I'm particularly interested in the Think Tank modular systems and am looking for feedback on comfort, utility, and security for a full day's excursion. The Speed Demon series looks like a good compromise between a shoulder bag and a belt pack. Input on similar options for other brands would also be appreciated.

For reference, I have a Canon 7D (no grip) with a 17-85 that I use as my walk around lens, plus a 70-200 2.8, a nifty 50, a 580 speed light, and a CF tripod with ball head. I go back and forth on the 70-200, the flash, and the tripod between leaving in the cabin to save weight, and bringing it along just in case I need it. Oh yeah...toss in a GoPro. And yes...life would be much easier with a mirrorless. I'm still in love with my 7D and haven't spent nearly enough money yet on accessories that I will no longer be able to use when I finally decide to make the switch. :rolleyes:

Think Tank....Think Tank. Bags made by photographers for photographers. Before I retired I used an Airport Security roller day in and day out. For vacations or jobs I needed a bag on my shoulder I have a Retro 50. The bags are great designs, they hold up well. I now work with a Canon 5D III, with or without the grip, 16-35mm 2.8, 24-105 4, 70-200 2.8 and a 1.4 TC III plus a flash. It all fits nicely in the Retro 50 with easy access for anything I need quickly. Personally I am not a fan of back packs, just too hard to get to my gear when I see something and I need a lens quickly. Think Tank, not cheap but damn good stuff.

I have an assortment of Thinktank bags. I normally use either a Glasstaxi or Glasslimo backpacks for hauling gear to the ship. Either will fit under a plane seat if needed. Now when going on excursions I love Thinktank's belt system, w/lens drop, skin 75 pop down, rarely used a skin strobe pack. I'm using a modified Thinktank's Pro Speed Belt with a shoulder strap. It has been the best at hauling gear ready to use comfortably. Backpack normally stay on the ship not have been used when needed.

framer

Thanks framer. Good to hear that you love the ThinkTank belt system. Do you think that the shoulder strap is necessary with only a couple of modular units attached (e.g. a digital holster and a lens changer). I'm also thinking of going with a Speed Freak since I can carry my 7D with the 17-85 attached plus the 70-200 2.6 and use it as a shoulder bag Or attach to a belt. Thoughts?

Thanks framer. Good to hear that you love the ThinkTank belt system. Do you think that the shoulder strap is necessary with only a couple of modular units attached (e.g. a digital holster and a lens changer). I'm also thinking of going with a Speed Freak since I can carry my 7D with the 17-85 attached plus the 70-200 2.6 and use it as a shoulder bag Or attach to a belt. Thoughts?

YES YES YES to the shoulder strap. Even with one thing on I would use it.

You could use the strap from any old bag save $$. I sewed a couple of d rings to my belt for free and use a strap from another old bag.

With my pro speed belt I carry the minimum and use a Black Rapid speed strap for my camera and lens ready to use. If I need to change my std lens it gets put in the drop and I pull the other one out of the skin 70 pop down. I tend to place it all in front so I can sit down on a bus. Anything else I need must go into my pockets or into a small pocket in the skin pop down. It's a fast system that doesn't slow you down and is comfortable.

The speed freak is a convertible bag the belt is built in and can't be used without the bag, it does allow you to add attachment modules.

I've have used convertible bags years ago and would not even consider another. If you want to use the belt the whole bag has to be carried.

I transport the belt stuff in my checked bag. It all collapses nicely and weight very little.

framer

You should checkout a company called Thinktank or Thinktank Photo. They have a large assortment of camera and travel bags that just plain rock.

framer

Love Thinktank. Get them at thinktankphoto.

I use a Speedfreak to haul my kit around. Great zippers!

For shore excursions, I make sure I have a waterproof body + waterproof lens. Then carry it around w/o a case.

ND filters go in our save your back bag.

Be sure to carry your camera in your hand w/ a finger on the lens, so you know when someone tries to fiddle w/ it.

Edited by knittinggirl

The Speed Demon series looks like a good compromise between a shoulder bag and a belt pack. Input on similar options for other brands would also be appreciated.

:rolleyes:

I have the speed freak which is the middle of the Speed Demon Series. I usually have two bodies, and 3-4 lenses. I use it as my personal item. Once it gets to the room, it pretty much stays there. I used to try to travel w/ the Speed Freak on top of my wheelie, but it kept falling off. I consulted Thinktankphoto, and asked if I could just cut the flat pocket and make it slide through the luggage handle. They said "no." And sent me a Low Rider strap. This moves the speed freak down to rest at the bottom of the bag, so all the weight isn't on my hand. Makes it so much easier to haul around.

For years I have used a small nylon bag purchased in the Galapagos (DarwinFoundation) and is probably designed more as a lunch bag than camera bag. Nylon is thick and stays formed as a bag. Has one compartment in the front. Bag holds my D7200/18-300mm lens combo plus the extras like lens cloth, extra battery, etc. It is very light to carry and easy to use: top two-way zippers and zippered front pouch. It does not look like a camera bag which is another reason I like it.

• 4 months later...