What do you think of this itinerary?

barante

I never thought about a bucket list. We are approaching the mid-70s and have done 30+ cruises; the clock is ticking. So I was looking at itineraries and found this one.

14 Days South Asia

Celebrity Cruises • Celebrity Constellation

Abu Dhabi, Muscat, Cochin, Mangalore, Mormugao, Mumbai, Dubai, Abu Dhabi

1 departure date: Dec 19 2017

I have been to the middle east but never to the Gulf (except for airports). New Year in Dubai!

Got a good deal on one of those Deck 6 forward-facing OVs, 6001 to be exact. The price was very attractive and came with $350 in OBC and prepaid gratuities.

Now I can concentrate on more pressing things.

I never thought about a bucket list. We are approaching the mid-70s and have done 30+ cruises; the clock is ticking. So I was looking at itineraries and found this one.

14 Days South Asia

Celebrity Cruises • Celebrity Constellation

Abu Dhabi, Muscat, Cochin, Mangalore, Mormugao, Mumbai, Dubai, Abu Dhabi

1 departure date: Dec 19 2017

I have been to the middle east but never to the G.ulf (except for airports). New Year in Dubai!

That's a great itinerary! If you are in Dubai for NYE it won't get much better than that! If you are in Abu Dhabi, I'm sure they will have great fireworks too. By 2017 the museums should be open in Abu Dhabi. Please post again should you need more tips for this area, including your India ports

Tue Dec 19 Abu Dhabi: EMBARK

Day 2 Wed Dec 20 Abu Dhabi: DOCKED

Depart 1:00 pm

Day 3 Thu Dec 21 Muscat: DOCKED

Arrive 12:00 pm Depart 11:59 pm

Day 4 Fri Dec 22 Cruising: CRUISING

Day 5 Sat Dec 23 Cruising: CRUISING

Day 6 Sun Dec 24 Cruising: CRUISING

Day 7 Mon Dec 25 Cochin: DOCKED

Arrive 8:30 am Depart 6:00 pm

Day 8 Tue Dec 26 Mangalore: DOCKED

Arrive 9:00 am Depart 7:00 pm

Day 9 Wed Dec 27 Mormugao: DOCKED

Arrive 7:00 am Depart 6:00 pm

Day 10 Thu Dec 28 Mumbai: CRUISING

Arrive 9:30 am Depart 6:00 pm

Day 11 Fri Dec 29 Cruising: CRUISING

Day 12 Sat Dec 30 Cruising: CRUISING

Day 13 Sun Dec 31 Dubai: DOCKED

Arrive 11:00 am

Day 14 Mon Jan 1 Dubai: DOCKED

Depart 10:00 pm

Day 15 Tue Jan 2 Abu Dhabi: DEBARK

Arrive 5:00 am

Tue Dec 19 Abu Dhabi: EMBARK

disembark Arrive 5:00 am

I did a repositioning cruise that included the same India ports and we really enjoyed it. I highly recommend doing a Backwater tour in Cochin. We were somewhat unsure of how long it would take etc and though pricey, booked a small group tour through the cruise line (RCI) and there were only six of us. It was one of the many highlights of the cruise with a lot of photo opportunities. We booked two private tours with another couple on our roll call using Mumbai Magic for both Mumbai and Mormugao. Excellent communication in the planning process and we were able to customize a few stops on their planned tours. We had a private car and they met us outside the port gate.

http://mumbaimagic.com

You are in for one great vacation and planning is half the fun:D

Except for the 1967 Six-Day War, when I was sent to Israel and saw the Sinai all the way to Sharm al Sheikh, I have never been to the Middle East. So this will be absolutely fascinating. And the more research I do, the more excited I am getting.

It also turns out that the fastest air from my area to Abu Dhabi, is Etihad's nonstop flight from IAD, less than 14 hours. While I hate going to Dulles in all that traffic, shaving lots of hours from the itinerary makes sense.

Edited by barante

Except for the 1967 Six-Day War, when I was sent to Israel and saw the Sinai all the way to Sharm al Sheikh, I have never been to the Middle East. So this will be absolutely fascinating. And the more research I do, the more excited I am getting.

It also turns out that the fastest air from my area to Abu Dhabi, is Etihad's nonstop flight from IAD, less than 14 hours. While I hate going to Dulles in all that traffic, shaving lots of hours from the itinerary makes sense.

Etihad and Emirates both fly n/s out of Dulles but since you are sailing out of Abu Dhabi, Etihad is the perfect choice. For price comparison, also check out Qatar as they will fly n/s to Doha and then less than an hour flight into Abu Dhabi. An easy transfer if the savings are there. If it is less to fly Emirates into Dubai, there is coach service to Abu Dhabi provided from DXB. All three airlines are comparable in service.

• 1 month later...
I did a repositioning cruise that included the same India ports and we really enjoyed it. I highly recommend doing a Backwater tour in Cochin. We were somewhat unsure of how long it would take etc and though pricey, booked a small group tour through the cruise line (RCI) and there were only six of us. It was one of the many highlights of the cruise with a lot of photo opportunities. We booked two private tours with another couple on our roll call using Mumbai Magic for both Mumbai and Mormugao. Excellent communication in the planning process and we were able to customize a few stops on their planned tours. We had a private car and they met us outside the port gate.

Hi, I am also looking at doing a cruise with Celebrity that offers the same ports. Any information would be appreciated. Did you find it difficult to secure visa for India ? My e-mail is gdpetinoatverizondotnet.

Thanks in advance for any information, GG

Hi, I am also looking at doing a cruise with Celebrity that offers the same ports. Any information would be appreciated. Did you find it difficult to secure visa for India ? My e-mail is gdpetinoatverizondotnet.

Thanks in advance for any information, GG

India now allows e-authorization for tourists visiting for less than 30 days holding passports from many countries, including the US.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/india.html

https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/tvoa.html

Will your itinerary also include a stop in Sri Lanka? As I recall, we did a tourist e-visa for that.

Let me know what kind of information you are looking for and I am happy to respond here or email. If it less Middle East related, also post on the Asia port forum. It is a rich experience ranging from a little more sedate Goa or Cochin and chaotic Mumbai :)

India now allows e-authorization for tourists visiting for less than 30 days holding passports from many countries, including the US.

Will your itinerary also include a stop in Sri Lanka? As I recall, we did a tourist e-visa for that.

Let me know what kind of information you are looking for and I am happy to respond here or email. If it less Middle East related, also post on the Asia port forum. It is a rich experience ranging from a little more sedate Goa or Cochin and chaotic Mumbai :)

After reading through the application I see this e-visa applies for airport arrivals but it doesn't mention arriving by sea. Perhaps you can email the Indian embassy or consulate for clarification or maybe Celebrity. If you have to apply through the consulate look for processing through an expedited service. (I tried to edit my previous response but timed out :mad:....sorry)

Thanks for the info. Do you have any recommendations for New Mangalore ? :D

Etihad and Emirates both fly n/s out of Dulles but since you are sailing out of Abu Dhabi, Etihad is the perfect choice. For price comparison, also check out Qatar as they will fly n/s to Doha and then less than an hour flight into Abu Dhabi. An easy transfer if the savings are there. If it is less to fly Emirates into Dubai, there is coach service to Abu Dhabi provided from DXB. All three airlines are comparable in service.

I'm on Celebrity Constellation in 2018, Qatar seems to be the best option for me out of Miami.

After reading through the application I see this e-visa applies for airport arrivals but it doesn't mention arriving by sea. Perhaps you can email the Indian embassy or consulate for clarification or maybe Celebrity. If you have to apply through the consulate look for processing through an expedited service. (I tried to edit my previous response but timed out :mad:....sorry)

Thanks again for all the wonderful info.

Thanks for the info. Do you have any recommendations for New Mangalore ? :D

When we stopped in Mangalore, we visited the Jain Temple in Moodabidri which is 37 KM northeast of Mangalore. We also visited the Kudroli Gokarnath Temple. We joined a small group from our roll call. One couple had lived there previously and made the arrangements so I can't give more specifics. One company that I previously used and posted about also does a tour in Mangalore. I got some of my best India pictures driving around the area. I will share the best advice I was given though....when riding in a vehicle in India, only look out of the side windows!

http://www.mangaloremagic.com

If Cochin is a stop on your itinerary, be sure to tour the back waters of Alleppy.

We did a ship tour as I was concerned about getting back on time. It was a little pricey but there were only six of us on the boat and what a great experience.

P.S. I think you will like flying Qatr:)

Hi Barante. Take a look at Oceania April 14, 2017 Singapore to Abu Dhabi. Many of the same ports as you have mentioned. For about $4.5K each we get 18 days deluxe ocean view, pre-paid gratuities, drink package (non-alcoholic), Wi-Fi, 5 shore excursions each (our O life choice also alcohol pkg available) plus ship board credit and other things to worth about $900. We always do our own air -- Ethiad has a flight from IAD to AUH (Abu Dhabi) to Singapore and back for $1,300. Option for very inexpensive layover (hotels for $37/night though not sure of star rating). We are pretty much settled that we are going to spend a few days in Sri Lanka (Colombo) so would fly less than 2 hours from Abu Dhabi (or Doho, or Dubai depending on airline) then on to Singapore after stay in Colombo. Lots of great options with Singapore depending on where you have been. Loved Taiwan, Bali, Yokyakarta Indonesia, which are about 2 hours from Singapore but if you have not been in Bangkok for several days (more than a shore excursion) that would be where I would start. Found it doable to take a local airline to where needed to go from major airports.

This India will surely melt the Ice of Greenland and Iceland this summer.:D

When we stopped in Mangalore, we visited the Jain Temple in Moodabidri which is 37 KM northeast of Mangalore. We also visited the Kudroli Gokarnath Temple. We joined a small group from our roll call. One couple had lived there previously and made the arrangements so I can't give more specifics. One company that I previously used and posted about also does a tour in Mangalore. I got some of my best India pictures driving around the area. I will share the best advice I was given though....when riding in a vehicle in India, only look out of the side windows!

http://www.mangaloremagic.com

If Cochin is a stop on your itinerary, be sure to tour the back waters of Alleppy.

We did a ship tour as I was concerned about getting back on time. It was a little pricey but there were only six of us on the boat and what a great experience.

P.S. I think you will like flying Qatr:)

Thank you :D:D:D

An interesting itinerary, particularly since I have been to Sri Lanka twice before. However we are locked into the following schedule. This July, as you know, HAL Rotterdam from that city to Norway, Shetland Island, Iceland, Greenland etc. to Boston.

During the coming Christmas/New Year we'll take the Zaandam Antarctic sail-by from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires. Then in April, 2017, we'll take the Norwegian Sun from Valparaiso to San Francisco.

This schedule enables us to take the 2017 Celebrity Constellation Christmas/New Year sailing from Abu Dhabi to Southern India and back, with fireworks in Dubai. Is this the cruise to end all cruises?

Hope not, but medical issues may force us to curtail future cruising to destinations that don't require long flights.

Barante I am envious of your schedule! It is indeed a beauty. We too are trying to cram in those long flight itineraries while the body will endure the long flights to the starting line. I am trying to ignore that birthdays will now start with a 7! If we would buy first class/business that might be better but that puts the exotics out of our comfort price range. We have been lucky to see the things of this world as much as we have. A little girl in the west of Kansas never dreamed she would see in person the far off places in the books of that small library. To travel is to educate your mind. Looking forward to sharing stories with you in July on Rotterdam.

I never thought I would be able to do all this cruising on my own dime. A good thing, too, because my wife's memory issues make other modes of traveling pretty impossible.

. . . and just to think that on all our HAL travels we can enjoy wonderful ships' libraries -- and a free access to the NYT. We are no longer in Kansas . . .