Petra by Princess Tour/Transportation out

Petra - using the tour offered by Princess. I know all the benefits of a private tour, just decided not to do that this time.

Has anyone taken a Princess tour and arranged for yourselves to take a donkey, camel or cart back up the hill? We will be fine walking in but are a little concerned about walking out - especially if it is hot that day. We will be going late March next year.

Please tell us about your experience riding a donkey, camel or in a cart?

Hi Julie,

Camels don't bring you out, not sure horses do either - the transport up the ravine is two-wheeled two-seat (+ driver up-front) buggies. They're available from outside the Treasury, to go up the siq (ravine). I don't know the prices, I think they're negotiable at a price which depends on demand at the time - a line of folk waiting for buggies means dig deep in your pockets, a line of buggies waiting for passengers means you should be able to barter the price down

JB :)

Hi Julie,

Camels don't bring you out, not sure horses do either - the transport up the ravine is two-wheeled two-seat (+ driver up-front) buggies. They're available from outside the Treasury, to go up the siq (ravine). I don't know the prices, I think they're negotiable at a price which depends on demand at the time - a line of folk waiting for buggies means dig deep in your pockets, a line of buggies waiting for passengers means you should be able to barter the price down

Thank you John! You helped me (a lot) a few years ago when we were planning our time in the UK. Here you are now, helping with Petra.

Do you know if we will need local money or could we pay with USD?

Thank you John! You helped me (a lot) a few years ago when we were planning our time in the UK. Here you are now, helping with Petra.

Do you know if we will need local money or could we pay with USD?

For admission to Petra I'm guessing it has to be Jordanian Dinars or plastic (we used plastic).

Which reminds me - ships' tours will include the admission fee, check whether quotes for private tours include admission, cos it's expensive. See the fees here:

http://www.visitpetra.jo/Pages/viewpage.aspx?pageID=138

(I don't know whether your ship overnites in Jordan, or if it does whether that's treated as being "accommodation in Jordan" - we visited just prior to this schedule of fees)

One Dinar is worth about $1.40.

For the buggies, camels, souvenirs, drinks & such, the vendors in Petra will accept any mainstream currency, including USD, euros & pounds sterling. And that includes one-euro and one-pound coins, & presumably two-euro/pound coins.

The cheapest price for anything is "one".

So if you want to be miserly, for silly little things you'll save a few pennies by using euros rather than dollars. ;)

Since street traders accept coins, but can't bank or exchange them, from time to time they ask visitors if they can exchange a little stack of coins for notes - for instance ten or twenty euro coins for a 10 or 20 euro note. This isn't a con, please help them out if you can.

Edited by John Bull