Bringing Medications to Dubai

notjaded

To find some previous threads on this, you might try clicking =32&childforums=1&titleonly=0&showposts=0&searchdate=0&beforeafter=after&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending&replyless=0&replylimit=0&searchthreadid=0&saveprefs=1&quicksearch=0&searchtype=0&nocache=0&ajax=0&userid=0&operand=0&ctextprocess=0&"]here and then clicking Search Now. Some of those old threads have links to other web pages on the subject, although you may then want to Google using similar search terms to see if there are up-to-date lists.

The three main things to remember are that:-

1. prohibited means prohibited;
  2. the list should be regarded as a guide, and not necessarily as an exhaustive catalogue;
  3. the risk of detection is relatively low, but the penalties if you are detected can be extremely harsh.

I've had a quick look at a copy I have of an old list. That suggests that zolpidem (Ambien) and alprazolam (Xanax) are prohibited, which does not surprise me given what they do. And although the ingredient hydrocodone in Tussionex doesn't itself appear on that copy of the list, given what it is I would not be surprised to find that it is prohibited (and might be regarded as prohibited even if it does not appear on the list).

One thing I can say with some confidence is that salbutamol (eg Ventolin) should be fine. That's because you can buy it over the counter in Dubai without needing a prescription. That used to be a useful source for me, as it saved me the hassle of having to get a prescription here in the UK.

Common blood pressure medications prescribed in the US, Canada, and Europe are also available in Dubai pharmacies. Keep your medication in the original packaging and if possible bring a copy of your recent prescription. Another medication I would not bring in is codeine. The link below is the latest I could find for controlled drugs so hope it helps.

http://www.uaeinteract.com/travel/drug.asp

Searched the UAE and Dubai websites and they were less than specific.

Anyone have any good information/experiences bringing in these medications for personal use? Ambien, Xanax, Tussionex.

Thanks.

I decided to get more specific by writing to the appropriate authorities. I wrote to the ministry of health (Google "Guidelines for Carrying Medecines to UAE") [note above spelling is correct] On page three, there are emails for inquiries.

I specifically asked whether these drugs were permissible to bring into the country for our personal use:

Alprazolam (Xanax); Zolpidem (Ambien); Tussionex (Hydrocodone and Chlorpheniramine)

This was the email response I got from Amir Osman of the Ministry of Health:

"As per your mail, there is no objection to keep the medicines for the personal use to cover your staying in the UAE (maximum for a period not more than one month) provided that you have to keep a certified medical letter from your doctor along with a valid prescription."

This response is nearly identical to one obtained five years ago by a participant on another forum (scroll down half-way):

http://www.forumforpages.com/facebook/teach-away-inc/perscriptions-in-uae/901462142/1

I encourage anyone to write to the Ministry themselves if they have a question about their specific case. The Ministry appears to be very responsive to inquiries.

Edited by notjaded

I decided to get more specific by writing to the appropriate authorities. I wrote to the ministry of health (Google "Guidelines for Carrying Medecines to UAE") [note above spelling is correct] On page three, there are emails for inquiries.

I specifically asked whether these drugs were permissible to bring into the country for our personal use:

Alprazolam (Xanax); Zolpidem (Ambien); Tussionex (Hydrocodone and Chlorpheniramine)

This was the email response I got from Amir Osman of the Ministry of Health:

"As per your mail, there is no objection to keep the medicines for the personal use to cover your staying in the UAE (maximum for a period not more than one month) provided that you have to keep a certified medical letter from your doctor along with a valid prescription."

This response is nearly identical to one obtained five years ago by a participant on another forum (scroll down half-way):

http://www.forumforpages.com/facebook/teach-away-inc/perscriptions-in-uae/901462142/1

I encourage anyone to write to the Ministry themselves if they have a question about their specific case. The Ministry appears to be very responsive to inquiries.

Correction: Google: "Guidelines for Carrying of Personal Medicines"

• 3 weeks later...

I travel and stay in the UAE on a regular basis if you have your medications in original packaging and a prescription ,letter from doctor that will cover it.

I do believe Canadians need a visa however unless this has changed recently .The UAE is a wonderful place just remember to watch out of for heat if you are visiting March to November.

Thanks, greengrunt8! I appreciate your reply. Visa requirements for Canadians were dropped a couple of years ago. By the way, I have been to Tasmania and loved it! Stayed a few days in Hobart before going on a mine tour up north and was thrilled to come back from dinner to our cabin in the mountains to find it infested...with wallabies. It was my favourite memory of a 3 week trip to the Antipodeans.

[

Great to hear your are back in the good books with the UAE ,We have had the pleasure of travelling to Alberta 4 times now ( skiing ) and normally base in Canmore

I actually have a friend who is a Canadian geo here ( I live in the North of the Island) don't suppose your tour was Savage River

All The Best

Tony

QUOTE=weelee;47909742]Thanks, greengrunt8! I appreciate your reply. Visa requirements for Canadians were dropped a couple of years ago. By the way, I have been to Tasmania and loved it! Stayed a few days in Hobart before going on a mine tour up north and was thrilled to come back from dinner to our cabin in the mountains to find it infested...with wallabies. It was my favourite memory of a 3 week trip to the Antipodeans.

Well, I am a Canadian geo also, and my husband is a pommie/Canadian who did his Ph.d. at ANU. We were in Oz for a lecture tour and went on the tour with a Canadian geo from James Cook, named Bruce (ironically!). We are a bit further north than Canmore and, because I am originally from Saskatchewan, my skiing skills are pretty pathetic. Small world, eh?

Cheers, Lee

The UAE is interesting it takes awhile to get a feel for the place the Dubai airport is very efficient and looks like a 5 star hotel all the staff including security are helpful and approachable if you have questions ,my DW loves the Dubai silk souk and comes home with some fantastic stuff .Abu Dhabi is more conservative but the locals are really helpful and the place has a nice family feel to it .My son and I are car fanatics so Ferrari world is often our first stop.

Indeed Lee it sure is my skiing skills are enthusiastic but unskilled

We have been over most of Alberta and BC my son wants to go to University in Calgary (more about skiing than study we suspect) All The Best Tony

• 3 weeks later...
I have a copy of each prescription and a letter from my doctor but am unclear as to whether this constitutes "certified"so am still a bit concerned. Can anyone clarify?

Have run into this before and a letter on the MD's letterhead with an original signature (I also had copies) was accepted without question. It needs to be clear which medications and that they are medically necessary.

Edited by take us away

I just got off Explorer of the Seas in Dubai. I was concerned about my medications two I need are on the "prohibited" list. ****** and Xanax. There was so much conflicting information I was worried. No problem getting off the ship. Did not have a problem with medications at the airport. They did take our universal power strip saying it was not allowed. Go figure. I had my meds in original containers from the pharmacy, copies of the prescriptions, and a letter signed by my dr stating the medication, dosage, and medical condition used for.

Debrinski

• 2 weeks later...
I just got off Explorer of the Seas in Dubai. I was concerned about my medications two I need are on the "prohibited" list. ****** and Xanax. There was so much conflicting information I was worried. No problem getting off the ship. Did not have a problem with medications at the airport. They did take our universal power strip saying it was not allowed. Go figure. I had my meds in original containers from the pharmacy, copies of the prescriptions, and a letter signed by my dr stating the medication, dosage, and medical condition used for.

Debrinski

Who took your power strip? Royal or someone in Dubai?

Edited by willing292

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

FYI, followed the Dubai rules re meds. On arrival, luggage/hand carry never opened. Used Marhaba greeting service, so went through private immigration line in which we were only passengers. Took 20 seconds. Great value for the $30 fee after a super-long journey.