Dubai on you own

Wayfairers

It looks as though we could do Dubai on our own. Has anyone done this? How easy is it to get around the city?

Easy...Dubai has a great metro system. http://dubaimetro.eu

Note the hours...it is closed Friday mornings. It can get crowded when the malls close, but easier than catching a taxi...lines can be long at that time.

I recommend the Hop On Hop Off bus. Easy. You see lots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hobar of Scottsdale

1957 Staten Island Ferry

1992 Norwegian, Caribbean

February 2002 Seabourn Legend, Costa Rica to Ft. Lauderdale (via Panama canal)

December 2002 SeaDream, Caribbean

July 2003 Seabourn Spirit, Istanbul to Venice

August 2003 Seabourn Spirit, Venice to Rome

March 2004 Silversea, Mexican Riviera

February 2005 Seabourn Spirit, Singapore to Hong Kong

April 2007 Seabourn Pride, Monte Carlo to Istanbul

July 2008 No cruise but visits to Malaga and Mallorca to the homes of new friends we made on Seabourn in 2005!

March 2010 Silversea, Singapore to Dubai

December 2011 Seabourn Sojourn, Santiago to Buenos Aires

August-Sept 2013 Seabourn Quest, Monte Carlo to Barcelona

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Anyone suggest Dubai hotels ?

We are cruising on the Ovation to Dubai and plan on staying for 2 or 3 nights

If you want to stay in the downtown area to be near Burj Khalifa, Dubai Mall and Dubai Fountains take a look at Vida or Manzil on Sheik Mohammed bin Rashid Blvd. They are both across the way and walkable. If you want to splurge, take a look at The Palace Hotel or The Address Hotel Downtown in this same area. The JW Marriott Marquis often has good rates and many fabulous restaurants. Though close to BK and the mall, it still requires a 5 minute taxi ride. Many hotels along Sheik Zayed Rd are also near metro stations. If you indicate more what you want to do while there or your budget other suggestions possible. Enjoy your time in Dubai!

• 3 weeks later...
If you want to stay in the downtown area to be near Burj Khalifa, Dubai Mall and Dubai Fountains take a look at Vida or Manzil on Sheik Mohammed bin Rashid Blvd. They are both across the way and walkable. If you want to splurge, take a look at The Palace Hotel or The Address Hotel Downtown in this same area. The JW Marriott Marquis often has good rates and many fabulous restaurants. Though close to BK and the mall, it still requires a 5 minute taxi ride. Many hotels along Sheik Zayed Rd are also near metro stations. If you indicate more what you want to do while there or your budget other suggestions possible. Enjoy your time in Dubai!

Hello,

We will be in Dubai to catch the Ovation next May. We are going in two days early, and are looking for a moderately priced hotel in a nice neighborhood, as we enjoy walking a city. I am a little confused about the various Malls. Is the main large one the Mall of the Emerates, or the Dubai Mall? Is the Dragon Mall worth visiting? I love to shop, but not pay high prices. We don't mind taking the Metro in most cities.

We could use some help and it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Edited by chloe kitty

Hello,

We will be in Dubai to catch the Ovation next May. We are going in two days early, and are looking for a moderately priced hotel in a nice neighborhood, as we enjoy walking a city. I am a little confused about the various Malls. Is the main large one the Mall of the Emerates, or the Dubai Mall? Is the Dragon Mall worth visiting? I love to shop, but not pay high prices. We don't mind taking the Metro in most cities.

We could use some help and it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Dubai Mall is the largest and a not to miss, even if you don't buy too much. It is connected to Burj Khalifa if you are visiting "At the Top." There are over 1000 shops and restaurants and they are currently adding on to make it even bigger! It includes a beautiful waterfall, ice rink, Gold Souk, Emirates A380 simulator, Sega Republic, and if you are traveling with children, Kidzania. It connects to Souk al Bahar via a pedestrian bridge. Souk al Bahar has about 15+ restaurants and many boutiques and souvenir shops. The Dubai Fountains are in the lake in-between the Dubai Mall and Souk al Bahar. Many of the stores in Dubai Mall are designer and priced accordingly. But, if you need a few things to bring home with an Arabic flavor or forgot some basics there are stores for that as well.

Mall of the Emirates is also a beautiful large mall, though smaller than Dubai Mall. It is famous for the indoor ski slope and penguins. Both of these malls have direct metro stops on the red line. In fact, you can ride metro between the malls and never go outside as both are connected to the stations through an indoor air conditioned walkway.

Wafi Mall and Ibn Batuta are smaller malls and architecturally beautiful but if you are only in Dubai for a couple of days I would not try to squeeze them in. There is usually a shuttle at the port that will take you to Wafi Mall and I think Burjman Mall. Burjman would be a good way to catch the Dubai Metro as the stop is right there as is the Big Bus Tour. Deira City Center is one of the older malls and also has a metro stop on the red line. It has a mix of mid-priced and higher end stores and easy to get around. Dragon Mart is huge and expanding as well. It reminds me of a Family Dollar or Poundland kind of store though it also sells large items like furniture and rugs. You will need to take a taxi or rent a car as it is on the outskirts of the city.

There is a Sheraton at Mall of the Emirates that might be priced more reasonably than the downtown hotels and you can take the metro to the Dubai Mall area from there. Also look at hotels on Sheik Zayed Road that are close to metro stations (Towers Rotana or Park Regis Kris Kin)

Hope this info helps:)

Dubai Mall is the largest and a not to miss, even if you don't buy too much. It is connected to Burj Khalifa if you are visiting "At the Top." There are over 1000 shops and restaurants and they are currently adding on to make it even bigger! It includes a beautiful waterfall, ice rink, Gold Souk, Emirates A380 simulator, Sega Republic, and if you are traveling with children, Kidzania. It connects to Souk al Bahar via a pedestrian bridge. Souk al Bahar has about 15+ restaurants and many boutiques and souvenir shops. The Dubai Fountains are in the lake in-between the Dubai Mall and Souk al Bahar. Many of the stores in Dubai Mall are designer and priced accordingly. But, if you need a few things to bring home with an Arabic flavor or forgot some basics there are stores for that as well.

Mall of the Emirates is also a beautiful large mall, though smaller than Dubai Mall. It is famous for the indoor ski slope and penguins. Both of these malls have direct metro stops on the red line. In fact, you can ride metro between the malls and never go outside as both are connected to the stations through an indoor air conditioned walkway.

Wafi Mall and Ibn Batuta are smaller malls and architecturally beautiful but if you are only in Dubai for a couple of days I would not try to squeeze them in. There is usually a shuttle at the port that will take you to Wafi Mall and I think Burjman Mall. Burjman would be a good way to catch the Dubai Metro as the stop is right there as is the Big Bus Tour. Deira City Center is one of the older malls and also has a metro stop on the red line. It has a mix of mid-priced and higher end stores and easy to get around. Dragon Mart is huge and expanding as well. It reminds me of a Family Dollar or Poundland kind of store though it also sells large items like furniture and rugs. You will need to take a taxi or rent a car as it is on the outskirts of the city.

There is a Sheraton at Mall of the Emirates that might be priced more reasonably than the downtown hotels and you can take the metro to the Dubai Mall area from there. Also look at hotels on Sheik Zayed Road that are close to metro stations (Towers Rotana or Park Regis Kris Kin)

Hope this info helps:)

Thank you for all the wonderful info. After posting this last night and prior to your response, I looked at Hotels.com. There were a few near the Emirates Mall that looked interesting, as well as some in the business district. I will go back and check on the areas that you mentioned. Thanks again.

• 1 month later...

I am just back and I would not recommend the HOHO. I was disappointed by it because it's slow getting around in traffic, and the narration was repetitive and lacking any good knowledge or factoids.

For day two of our Dubai visit we spent about $5 each for all-day metro/bus passes and got everywhere we wanted to, with the help of one or two taxis. Taxis were surprisingly reasonable compared to places in the USA like Vegas or NYC.

I am just back and I would not recommend the HOHO. I was disappointed by it because it's slow getting around in traffic, and the narration was repetitive and lacking any good knowledge or factoids.

For day two of our Dubai visit we spent about $5 each for all-day metro/bus passes and got everywhere we wanted to, with the help of one or two taxis. Taxis were surprisingly reasonable compared to places in the USA like Vegas or NYC.

Great information. Thanks for the approx amount you spent for the metro/bus passes.

We are now considering taking a train from the airport to a hotel in the Deria area which is very close to the metro stop. We are looking at the Hyarr Place hotel, or a few others too. We thought that we might catch the Big Bus the next AM. Spend all day sightseeing from the bus with occasional stops at the larger malls. The bus also offers an evening tours which we thought might be nice. The next day we have to board the ship, but the ship overnights in Dubai. We thought we would check in then go out again on the Big Bus for more touring.

Does this sound as if it would work out??

Thank you/

Edited by chloe kitty

We are now considering taking a train from the airport to a hotel in the Deria area which is very close to the metro stop. We are looking at the Hyarr Place hotel, or a few others too. We thought that we might catch the Big Bus the next AM. Spend all day sightseeing from the bus with occasional stops at the larger malls. The bus also offers an evening tours which we thought might be nice. The next day we have to board the ship, but the ship overnights in Dubai. We thought we would check in then go out again on the Big Bus for more touring.

Does this sound as if it would work out??

Thank you/

That all sounds good except I would get a taxi to the hotel. The trains can be VERY crowded so might not be a good idea with luggage. Taxi's are very inexpensive.

Ditto Gemini108's suggestion about taking a taxi. From the airport to Deira it will be about 50AED, less than $15. Taxis are metered and there is a taxi rank right outside the arrival area. The "pink top" taxis for woman and families are slightly more and there will also be town cars available that are more. The beige taxis with all the other roof-top colors will cost the same. Leaving from the airport or cruise port there is a 20AED ($5.45) surcharge but not when you are dropped off.

Dubai is one of the easiest foreign cities we have ever visited. It is safe, uber clean, and there are always people who speak English. The subways are modern and clean and in some cases works of art.

The Hop On Hop Off is great and has free wifi. Yes, there are times when it is a bit slow, but you can always entertain yourself on the wifi if you get stuck in traffic.

Make sure you take the boat ride which is included in the Hop On Hop Off it is very educational and pleasant.

There is always lots to do. Once we did the indoor ski thing and another time we just jumped on a train and went to the end of the line to look at the architecture.

We have been several times and plan to visit again in December on our return from Asia.

• 4 weeks later...
Great information. Thanks for the approx amount you spent for the metro/bus passes.

You are most welcome! We bought our one day ticket from a kiosk at the metro, just like you would in NYC or London. I don't know how you would do it if you were taking the bus, but all "customer facing" people, if not everyone in Dubai, spoke English.

I wanted to reiterate that taxis are a surprisingly inexpensive option in Dubai. The fares are only a few Dinar per kilometer, although the minimum fare is 12 Dh. But even that works out to < $3.50 which is the flag drop in Las Vegas, NV.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Do we need to exchange USD for AED or can we operate on credit cards? We will get our 48 hr. HOHO tickets online beforehand.

Lots of great information on this thread - thanks to all of you!

Cards are widely accepted but you might want to have a little money in AED for a taxi perhaps to the port or hotel if you are staying pre or post cruise. ATM's are everywhere including all of the malls. The additional charge would be if your bank charges to use another bank's machine but not from the local bank. Have a great time!