Private Wadi Rum Tours from Aqaba

worldtravellerrus

The main feature of an excursion to Wadi Rum is a 4x4 drive across the desert. And it's excellent.

It's done in open trucks - type "Toyota land cruiser Wadi Rum" into google images to get some idea. There's one seat in the cab, next to the driver for those unable or unwilling to sit on the back.

We did the excursion on a half-day ship's tour. About an hour by ship's coach to Wadi Rum (but it's no problem getting to Wadi Rum by taxi) then split into small groups for the 4x4 experience which lasted about 2 to 3 hours.

Those trucks take about 8 people - and it's a pretty safe bet it'll be expensive for just 2 or 3. I don't know whether parties can be put together on-the-fly on-site, or whether you need to get a group together. There are a lot of trucks there, but I don't know whether you need to pre-book.

What I do know is that it's a complete waste of time going to Wadi Rum without taking a 4x4 trip. You'll get a distant photo of The Seven Pillars of Wisdom and that's about it.

Don't worry too much about transport from Aqaba, but get trawling the net for info about fixing up a 4x4 tour.

Here's one website I found

http://wadirumjeeptours.com/transport-in-jordan/

Hope this helps

JB :)

The main feature of an excursion to Wadi Rum is a 4x4 drive across the desert. And it's excellent.

It's done in open trucks - type "Toyota land cruiser Wadi Rum" into google images to get some idea. There's one seat in the cab, next to the driver for those unable or unwilling to sit on the back.

We did the excursion on a half-day ship's tour. About an hour by ship's coach to Wadi Rum (but it's no problem getting to Wadi Rum by taxi) then split into small groups for the 4x4 experience which lasted about 2 to 3 hours.

Those trucks take about 8 people - and it's a pretty safe bet it'll be expensive for just 2 or 3. I don't know whether parties can be put together on-the-fly on-site, or whether you need to get a group together. There are a lot of trucks there, but I don't know whether you need to pre-book.

What I do know is that it's a complete waste of time going to Wadi Rum without taking a 4x4 trip. You'll get a distant photo of The Seven Pillars of Wisdom and that's about it.

Don't worry too much about transport from Aqaba, but get trawling the net for info about fixing up a 4x4 tour.

Here's one website I found

http://wadirumjeeptours.com/transport-in-jordan/

Hope this helps

Many thanks! Do you think that the 4x4 might be difficult for someone with a bad back?

Many thanks! Do you think that the 4x4 might be difficult for someone with a bad back?

Sandy rather than rocky, so bounces around a bit but unlikely to get any bone-jarring crunches.

Best bet is to dial "Wadi Rum 4x4" into google-videos / youtube & see a few vids for yourself.

Here's a typical one

Sandy rather than rocky, so bounces around a bit but unlikely to get any bone-jarring crunches.

Best bet is to dial "Wadi Rum 4x4" into google-videos / youtube & see a few vids for yourself.

Here's a typical one

Many thanks! You have given me a very good idea of what to expect, which is very much appreciated!

• 4 weeks later...
I have found a good company called ViaJordan.com and have sent an email to find out info as to costs,, regular tour vs Private Tour.

If you are interested, I will let you know what I find out.

QUOTE=notjaded;49162971]Have you uncovered a good resource?

Many thanks.