Journey Self Serve Laundry

Nova Scotia cruiser

I just heard from my sister who is currently on board the Journey. She advised the self serve laundry is still not up and running, she said they gave her a date when she could have a bag of laundry done by the ship gratis......sad to say it is on the final day of her cruise. She had packed in the belief that the laundry would be operational. She wanted to let me know to pack extra as I am sailing on the 25th.

I just heard from my sister who is currently on board the Journey. She advised the self serve laundry is still not up and running, she said they gave her a date when she could have a bag of laundry done by the ship gratis......sad to say it is on the final day of her cruise. She had packed in the belief that the laundry would be operational. She wanted to let me know to pack extra as I am sailing on the 25th.

Many thanks for this recent update from the ship. We are also on the 26th March sailing and will pack accordingly.

Hi, Bonnie. Would it be possible to check if washer/dryers with the correct electrical specs have been ordered for Quest--and will arrive in time to be installed in Singapore? One of many, I would guess, lessons learned from Journey's refit--which is, overall, terrific.

Thanks.

Edited by marinaro44

Hi, Bonnie. Would it be possible to check if washer/dryers with the correct electrical specs have been ordered for Quest--and will arrive in time to be installed in Singapore? One of many, I would guess, lessons learned from Journey's refit--which is, overall, terrific.

Thanks.

And will the self serve laundry be operational on the March 26 cruise?...

Hi, Bonnie. Would it be possible to check if washer/dryers with the correct electrical specs have been ordered for Quest--and will arrive in time to be installed in Singapore?

Thanks.

Surely they have learned by their mistake, putting it politely, this was huge blunder!

Edited by upwarduk

Surely they have learned by their mistake, putting it politely, this was huge blunder!

I wouldn't go as far as to say it's a huge blunder, merely an annoyance to some, the ship is after all giving everyone free laundry understandably on given dates, on our recent 16 day cruise, we managed fine with that free one, and we were also able to use our complementary Le Club Voyage laundry vouchers. To put this all into perspective on our Celebrity Solstice cruise last year, there was no free laundry!

I wouldn't go as far as to say it's a huge blunder, merely an annoyance to some, the ship is after all giving everyone free laundry understandably on given dates, on our recent 16 day cruise, we managed fine with that free one, and we were also able to use our complementary Le Club Voyage laundry vouchers. To put this all into perspective on our Celebrity Solstice cruise last year, there was no free laundry!

Agreed. "Huge blunder" is an exaggeration. The compensation is more than fair. I for one am surprised Azamara didn't do away with self service laundry entirely as there are plenty of lines (like Celebrity) that don't have it.

In more than 100 cruises I have never set foot in a self service laundry on a ship...and I never will! I pack enough clothes....some would say more than enough! :D

I also use the excellent laundry service on Azamara, with my free loyalty status bag and sometimes I send items to the laundry and gasp.....pay a few dollars for them! They come back perfectly pressed and not "boiled to death" as some pax have said in the past. There are so many better ways to spend your time on a cruise than doing laundry....imho of course. :D

In more than 100 cruises I have never set foot in a self service laundry on a ship...and I never will! I pack enough clothes....some would say more than enough! :D

I also use the excellent laundry service on Azamara, with my free loyalty status bag and sometimes I send items to the laundry and gasp.....pay a few dollars for them! They come back perfectly pressed and not "boiled to death" as some pax have said in the past. There are so many better ways to spend your time on a cruise than doing laundry....imho of course. :D

On the first couple of Azamara cruises I ventured in there to iron a jacket or shirt or something, but since then I avoid the place. The atmosphere was, erm, tense in there on both occasions!

Phil

I for one am surprised Azamara didn't do away with self service laundry entirely as there are plenty of lines (like Celebrity) that don't have it.

Oh please don't say that! Having access to a laundrette is very important to me when cruising. No, I don't spend hours doing frequent loads of laundry, but I do like to know I can wash my clothes when I want to. I never have and never will send my clothes to a commercial laundry (they're washed gently in cold water and air dried at home, so I don't want them suddenly to meet hot water) - but as a seasoned traveller, I pack light - never more luggage than I can comfortably carry.

And I sure hope that during the Quest refit, they put washing lines in the showers!!!!

Edited by jollyjones

Oh please don't say that! Having access to a laundrette is very important to me when cruising. No, I don't spend hours doing frequent loads of laundry, but I do like to know I can wash my clothes when I want to. I never have and never will send my clothes to a commercial laundry (they're washed gently in cold water and air dried at home, so I don't want them suddenly to meet hot water) - but as a seasoned traveller, I pack light - never more luggage than I can comfortably carry.

And I sure hope that during the Quest refit, they put washing lines in the showers!!!!

Agree, it's not about time and money! we pack lightly, but hubby is 6 foot 6 with lots of custom made and specialty clothing- he can't afford to lose even 1/4 of an inch, and if he does, he can't easily replace the item locally, as I might. Luckily, we can do some basics in ships laundry, but being able to wash and hang dry somethings is helpful. Rarely do our trips only involve just the cruise (where you can easily bring dozens of bags) Usually our cruises are only one part of a trip that also includes very active land touring (biking, hiking, kayaking) that requires us to be more nimble with baggage.

It's not that Azamaras lack of passenger laundry is a problem, it's just the loss of a convenience for some passengers.

I wouldn't go as far as to say it's a huge blunder, merely an annoyance to some, the ship is after all giving everyone free laundry understandably on given dates, !

As one who plans vacations on having laundry available (whether it's by hand in the sink or using a machine) it's definitely a consideration for me (machines and clotheslines on Journey post-dry dock) I understand it doesn't matter to some people. Fine. But for others, it does matter, so please don't demean our priorities simply because they are not yours. Will it ruin my vacation? No. But knowing what's going on ahead of time DOES help me better plan what to pack (my travel clothesline and a little more hand wash detergent than I would have packed:rolleyes:)

I'd say offering someone their free bag of laundry on the last day of their cruise (as reported by the OP's sister) is quite a blunder indeed, and not at all convenient.

Ive just learned that unfortunately the self-service laundry on the Azamara Journey is out of service until the end of April. We are very sorry about this.

Here's the message that had been posted on our website under Laundry & Dry Cleaning tab:

LAUNDRY AND DRY-CLEANING

Please note: Self-service laundry is not available on Azamara Journey until the end of April 2016. We apologize for the inconvenience.

For me the lack of an iron is big problem. On the first day I always have to iron items that have got creased in the case, especially linen shirts and trousers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Have you tried rolling your linen items? I have found that they don't crease anywhere near as much that way.

LAUNDRY AND DRY-CLEANING

Please note: Self-service laundry is not available on Azamara Journey until the end of April 2016. We apologize for the inconvenience.

That's too bad! My engineering husband has rubbed off on me after all these years and I find myself wondering if they're going to make the electrical fit the replacement machines or get replacement machines (for the replacements...) that fit the existing system :o

On the first couple of Azamara cruises I ventured in there to iron a jacket or shirt or something, but since then I avoid the place. The atmosphere was, erm, tense in there on both occasions!

Phil

Great comment.

Sometimes there is a sense that one's behaviour and decisions in the laundry room are under strict scrutiny lest one violate the supposed norms of that institution.

It can seem a little stressful.

and a little more hand wash detergent than I would have packed:rolleyes:)

Absolutely no need to bring detergent - just use the provided shampoo. All detergents are very much the same, despite what 'enhancements' they may claim on the label. And if you really feel the need to use a 'fabric softener', just use a little hair conditioner in the final rinse.

Well, in general, I do like the option of having a self-service launderette. And I am not too fond of the ships that don't have this available. We will board the Journey April 5 and will get some free bags, but I will be curious to see if there is any compensation for PAX who would have otherwise used the launderette.

=BBMacLaird;49461886]Ive just learned that unfortunately the self-service laundry on the Azamara Journey is out of service until the end of April. We are very sorry about this.

Here's the message that had been posted on our website under Laundry & Dry Cleaning tab:

LAUNDRY AND DRY-CLEANING

Hello Bonnie, Would you please ask whether irons/ironing boards are still available?

Thank you

Edited by workingtocruise-59

Well, in general, I do like the option of having a self-service launderette. And I am not too fond of the ships that don't have this available. We will board the Journey April 5 and will get some free bags, but I will be curious to see if there is any compensation for PAX who would have otherwise used the launderette.

Surely the compensation is the offer of free laundry? We received this last week on the Journey and the items came back nicely ironed as well. :)