New to Azamara, anything I should know?

Wendy The Wanderer

Hi, just booked our first Az cruise, September 30th out of Rome on Journey.

We are excited since, although we love small ships and luxury, we've never been on one of the former R-ships. And we have heard such good things about the ambiance on the Azamara ships! Attracted by the all-inclusiveness and relaxed atmosphere.

We booked a Club Continent Suite since we got a great deal, and we are used to good-sized cabins. I'm hoping we will be very happy.

Several questions come to mind:

Do Azamara folks book private excursions jointly via roll-call, a là Oceania, or do they tend to book ship's excursions? How are the ship excursions? We're thinking that for Sorrento we'll book excursions with Az since there is always a risk of not being able to tender-in there.

How does specialty dining work? I see that since we have a suite, there won't be a charge for this. Do we book dining onboard, or can that be in advance? Is there a limit to visits to specialties? How is the food in the main dining room?

Thanks in advance for any advice and encouragement, although we hardly need the latter.

I see you can't reserve specialty restaurants in advance. Is there a limit on how many times you can use these restaurants (Aquilina and Prime C, right?) I presume there is--on Regent everyone gets "one kick at the can", and you can't reserve a second visit until later in the cruise, when availability is know. How do they do it on Az?

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

We are excited since, although we love small ships and luxury, we've never been on one of the former R-ships. And we have heard such good things about the ambiance on the Azamara ships! Attracted by the all-inclusiveness and relaxed atmosphere.

We booked a Club Continent Suite since we got a great deal, and we are used to good-sized cabins. I'm hoping we will be very happy.

Several questions come to mind:

Do Azamara folks book private excursions jointly via roll-call, a là Oceania, or do they tend to book ship's excursions? How are the ship excursions? We're thinking that for Sorrento we'll book excursions with Az since there is always a risk of not being able to tender-in there.

I do a mix of private, ship and just walking around on my own. i booked private for Sorrento in June. i figure i will get my money back and some tours is only a deposit

How does specialty dining work? I see that since we have a suite, there won't be a charge for this. Do we book dining onboard, or can that be in advance? Is there a limit to visits to specialties? How is the food in the main dining room?

you can only book on ship. i go the 1st day and book .i book more nights and cancel if needed . that happens when not hungry or i want the buffet. with the new LR Tapas find I am eating less dinners.

Thanks in advance for any advice and encouragement, although we hardly need the latter.

I see you can't reserve specialty restaurants in advance. Is there a limit on how many times you can use these restaurants (Aquilina and Prime C, right?) I presume there is--on Regent everyone gets "one kick at the can", and you can't reserve a second visit until later in the cruise, when availability is know. How do they do it on Az?

oh no! book all day 1 as your favorite time might be gone. this is not Oceania and Regent that limits you.

As many times as you like. Go and see one of the Maitre d's when you board. You'll also have free access to the Thelassotherapy Pool at the front of the spa. Make use of it if you like that sort of thing. It's a very relaxing large hot tub. There's also a nice private sun deck area there.

Phil

There is usually a desk at check in where you can book the speciality restaurants after as you check in, but if not then just pop up to either Prime C or Aqualina at 18:05 pm and speak to the Maitre D'. We are usually very lucky with our bookings and the good thing is that unlike Oceania, you can easily get a table for two. There is no limit on how many times you can book....it's all down to availability and its first come, first served. If you are in a suite then yes, you don't get charged for speciality dining at all, but you also don't get preference over anyone else, even in steerage. :D

I have always enjoyed the food in the MDR and Windows Buffet has great speciality nights too. The Italian and Indian nights are great...I love a good curry. One thing to think of is when is your White Night scheduled? The deck barbecue is fantastic and not to be missed. White Night is the best event on Azamara and so much fun....not to be missed. Your Azamazing evening will have an early buffet in the MDR before you depart and then nibbles on your return to the ship.

Ships tours are expensive, but nothing like Oceania's extortionate prices. Your roll call is a good way to join a private tour and as usual, it's best with a smaller group. If you are going to Livorno we can recommend an excellent driver.

I hope you love Azamara....just like we do. The only thing that I feel O does better is their spectacular afternoon tea.

I hope you love Azamara....just like we do. The only thing that I feel O does better is their spectacular afternoon tea.

IIRC Oceania's tea is a "high tea" with sandwiches etc. That doesn't float my boat no matter how well done. But if any cruise line had warm scones, strawberry preserves, and CLOTTED CREAM -- that would be the definition of true luxury for me!

IIRC Oceania's tea is a "high tea" with sandwiches etc. That doesn't float my boat no matter how well done. But if any cruise line had warm scones, strawberry preserves, and CLOTTED CREAM -- that would be the definition of true luxury for me!

On Journey this month they had a jar of clotted cream out in the Living Room with the scones and jam. Ok, the jam was in pre-sealed containers, but it tasted pretty good with a cuppa.:cool:

Phil

On Journey this month they had a jar of clotted cream out in the Living Room with the scones and jam. Ok, the jam was in pre-sealed containers, but it tasted pretty good with a cuppa.:cool:

Phil

Phil

I would dress up and go if thy did real afternoon tea with the Clotted Cream and real jam. i hate those containers vs small jars.

That would be afternoon tea on Cunard then Jazz. Warm scones, strawberry or raspberry jam and proper Cornish clotted cream. However the O afternoon tea has delicious scones, jam and cream, but it's not clotted cream.

Phil, Glad to hear the Living Room now has clotted cream for the scones. How very British! :D Looking forward to trying them soon.

There are four reservation times for specialty dining: 6:00, 6:30, 8:00, and 8:30. Because these reservations cannot be booked in advance, we book immediately after boarding. There is no limit to the number of reservations you can make and we make one for each night, preferring two reservations in Aqualina for every one in Prime C.

One BIG difference between Oceania and Azamara (we sail on both) is that in Azamara's specialty restaurants, you can't request to share with another two, four or six people. Let me clarify: If you have/make new friends on the ship, you can make reservations with them, but if you just want to do a random share and meet new people, it isn't possible. (I asked the maitre d' about this one night, and he told me that they had tried this and nobody was interested.) I guess that many people eat in the specialty restaurants to celebrate a special occasion and want to dine alone.

Your butler can handle any changes that you need to make.

Phil

No, sorry -- I've had clotted cream in a jar and it is not the same. Not even close. If it said "Kraft Mayonnaise" on the jar I wouldn't be surprised! ;) I mean real fresh clotted cream from the Cotswolds or Devon. Loved it so much in Broadway that we detoured there on the way back from the Lakes for a second round! I once found it at a tea shop in Toronto (flown in every few days), but they were gone on my next visit. It has started to call out to me, so I think a trip to the Cotswolds will rise on the bucket list.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

I guess that many people eat in the specialty restaurants to celebrate a special occasion and want to dine alone.

When the food is that good, the last thing I want to do is talk. [Another reason I love Inspector Montalbano.]

Is it possible to share large tables with strangers in the MDR? We tend to prefer set dining times at large tables (I'm an introvert so like having more people available to a) talk to my husband who is very social; and b) take the pressure off me:p)

We love to be served dinner and will likely eat most of our meals in the MDR on Azamara (we're not in a suite and don't see the need to eat at specialty restaurants) But we'd like to show up at 7 or whenever and ask to be seated at a table of 8 - is that done?

Is it possible to share large tables with strangers in the MDR? We tend to prefer set dining times at large tables (I'm an introvert so like having more people available to a) talk to my husband who is very social; and b) take the pressure off me:p)

We love to be served dinner and will likely eat most of our meals in the MDR on Azamara (we're not in a suite and don't see the need to eat at specialty restaurants) But we'd like to show up at 7 or whenever and ask to be seated at a table of 8 - is that done?

you can get a large table- but easier at 7 or 730. .i eat at 8 and find less sharing tables late vs early. many people on AZ like to eat early. other like late

Yes, sharing is very easy in the main dining room. When you arrive, you tell the person at the entrance that you'd like to sit at a table for 8.

There are four reservation times for specialty dining: 6:00, 6:30, 8:00, and 8:30. Because these reservations cannot be booked in advance, we book immediately after boarding. There is no limit to the number of reservations you can make and we make one for each night, preferring two reservations in Aqualina for every one in Prime C.

Toni

you just taught me something new. since i eat at 8 or 830 i never knew you could not get 7/730 for dinner as I never asked. i book when i get on but for all nigts minus overnights or super late night. .been told i can always get a table.

One BIG difference between Oceania and Azamara (we sail on both) is that in Azamara's specialty restaurants, you can't request to share with another two, four or six people. Let me clarify: If you have/make new friends on the ship, you can make reservations with them, but if you just want to do a random share and meet new people, it isn't possible. (I asked the maitre d' about this one night, and he told me that they had tried this and nobody was interested.) I guess that many people eat in the specialty restaurants to celebrate a special occasion and want to dine alone.

I am glad to know you still sail with AZ too. I asked if they had takers on the shared table and was told no.. also the new caviar dinner no one booked.. I still do a wine dinner like once a year. great fun! sell quickly on long cruises with sea days.

No, sorry -- I've had clotted cream in a jar and it is not the same. Not even close. If it said "Kraft Mayonnaise" on the jar I wouldn't be surprised! ;) I mean real fresh clotted cream from the Cotswolds or Devon. Loved it so much in Broadway that we detoured there on the way back from the Lakes for a second round! I once found it at a tea shop in Toronto (flown in every few days), but they were gone on my next visit. It has started to call out to me, so I think a trip to the Cotswolds will rise on the bucket list.

Host Jazzbeau if you are a clotted cream fan think you should add Cornwall to your bucket list next time you visit England.

And much as I love Azamara the thought of clotted cream in a jar doesn't float my boat either. Excuse the pun:)

When we were on the Quest in November you could book on a sharing table at a set time in both speciality restaurants. I can't say how well it worked as we didn't try it. We love sharing tables and usually eat with others every night in Discoveries.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

That would be afternoon tea on Cunard then Jazz. Warm scones, strawberry or raspberry jam and proper Cornish clotted cream. However the O afternoon tea has delicious scones, jam and cream, but it's not clotted cream.

Phil, Glad to hear the Living Room now has clotted cream for the scones. How very British! :D Looking forward to trying them soon.

Unfortunately, Cunard only has clotted cream in the Grills :(

I believe that the Oceania afternoon tea is much better organised than the Cunard offering.

I remember on our first Oceania cruise around the British Isles, some American ladies we were friendly with believed that the cream on Oceania was clotted cream.

When we stopped in Falmouth I visited M&S and bought some clotted cream and took it into afternoon tea, they soon appreciated the difference :)

I don't remember having afternoon tea on Azamara.

Edited by Glenndale

Host Jazzbeau if you are a clotted cream fan think you should add Cornwall to your bucket list next time you visit England

Almost all National Trust ( NT) properties in UK also serve cream teas. My husband always has one when we visit.

Next comes the question, do you put jam or cream on first.

When we were on the Quest in November you could book on a sharing table at a set time in both speciality restaurants. I can't say how well it worked as we didn't try it. We love sharing tables and usually eat with others every night in Discoveries.

When we were on the Journey TA a few weeks ago, I ask Laze about a sharing table. He said that they had tried it and nobody was interested. Perhaps things are different on the Quest.

Almost all National Trust ( NT) properties in UK also serve cream teas. My husband always has one when we visit.

For me, jam first then cream. I am now yearning for a warm scone with raspberry jam ( don't like strawberry jam) and clotted cream.

H....afternoon tea at The S is now a must for next week! :)

Jam then cream for me!:)

To the OP, if you like afternoon tea then your butler will come round with a trolley at about 3.30 to 4pm. If I'm not going to be there I will let him know not to bother, but have a standing order of tea and cookies just in case. If they have them the white chocolate and cranberry cookies are my favourite. Try the afternoon tea served in the Living Room. I think they make a nice job of it and since the refurbishment it's a much nicer space to be in.

Phil