Does RCCL still serve lobster on some of their cruises?

I was on the south bound Radiance cruise 18 May, they did serve lobster tails one night, they were pretty small though with a few shrimps. I had a second plate and one guy at the next table over had 5 plates.

I recently was on a cruise and no lobster was served. I also read other posts stating the same thing.

Does RCCL no longer have lobster on its menus?

Any RCI cruise of 5 nights or longer sailing out of a US port should definitely have lobster on the menu. Its part of the Fishermans platter and is served on the second formal night.

They do not serve lobster on 3 or 4 night cruises and I have no idea if the RCI ships over in the Med. serve it or not.

Any RCI cruise of 5 nights or longer sailing out of a US port should definitely have lobster on the menu. Its part of the Fishermans platter and is served on the second formal night.

They do not serve lobster on 3 or 4 night cruises and I have no idea if the RCI ships over in the Med. serve it or not.

That makes sense. We were on a 4-night cruise and the poster was on a Mediterranean cruise. We usually sail on 7-night cruises and have never been on a Mediterranean cruise.

However, for our 50th wedding anniversary, we're planning the 42-night Mediterranean cruise roundtrip from Ft. Lauderdale, in Oct 2014. :)

I was on the south bound Radiance cruise 18 May, they did serve lobster tails one night, they were pretty small though with a few shrimps. I had a second plate and one guy at the next table over had 5 plates.

The tails we were served during the May 18th cruise in MTD on Wednesday were huge, just like on the May 4th and May 11th cruise. Guess our definition of huge isn't the same.

The tails we were served in MTD were huge, just like on the May 4th and May 11th cruise.

Same way on Freedom Apri 22 - 29 and cooked perfectly too. At least my 2 were anyway :)

The tails we were served during the May 18th cruise in MTD on Wednesday were huge, just like on the May 4th and May 11th cruise. Guess our definition of huge isn't the same.

I was in the MTD on wednesday night, all of ours couldn't have been longer than about 5 or 6 inches each,

Just be aware that the quality varies significantly.

I've enjoyed wonderfully prepared, juicy lobster.

I've been totally disappointed in tough, chewy, flavorless lobster.

You never know what you will get.

I was in the MTD on wednesday night, all of ours couldn't have been longer than about 5 or 6 inches each,

If that was the size of the meat, outside of the tail, I would consider that to be of good size!

I have seen some quite small lobster tails on a few cruises, and then on a very few, crayfish were substituted for lobster. I'm glad to hear from Patty that the tails that they were served were some of the larger ones that she has enjoyed.

Now that the cruiselines are without escargot, they can spend the extra money on a better lobster tail!!:);)

Rick

Lobster is alive or should I say cooked on the Freedom. The tails were about three inches long out of the shell. Our waiter brought hubby two, and since I can't eat them a third one. Escargot was out of season and on the do not order menu. He did love the shallots.

Since I have an Iodine allergy I was more limited on this cruise menu than I have been in the past. I did find something every night that helped pack on some extra weight so can't complain to much. Just wish they would use a little less salt.

• 2 weeks later...

Your mileage will vary from ship to ship. I've had good and bad. Being from a coastal community, cruise ship lobster will never be great for me but I still feel its a treat on the ship as long as it's cooked right. Full disclosure, yes I've had bad lobster here too.

So far we New Englanders have been very well behaved on this lobster thread!;):D

Just be aware that the quality varies significantly.

I've enjoyed wonderfully prepared, juicy lobster.

I've been totally disappointed in tough, chewy, flavorless lobster.

You never know what you will get.

Be aware that the tails in main dining room are a lower priced alternative. That's the Caribbean kind, which are actually a type of warm water crab (aka "spiny lobster"). This kind also has no claws, and a totally different taste. (true Maine Lobster is much sweeter, etc)

We just got back from Liberty from Barcelona, and they did have real lobster in Portofino. You could also order Maine steamed lobster and Filet surf and turf in MDR any night, but I believe that had an extra price of about $34.95 It's on the last page of the MDR menu every night, with options to order in from Chops or Portofino.

I believe only the european sailings do not serve lobster tail. We were on the western med in september and no lobsters...but on our cruise in march on the liberty in the carribean, we had lobster tail.

Archived