LCV cruise. Land discoveries. ...worries

welshfamily

Having just enjoyed another Azamara cruise with our adult children my husband and I are thinking of booking the LCV cruise for our 35th wedding aniversary. We had another plan which because of his work commitments has had to be cancelled.

We are looking at this cruise for the destinations and not as LCV members as this will only be our third cruise with Azamara, although we have lots of loyality points from Celebrity.

The cruise is the Arabian Gulf cruise from Dubai.

However we are concerned about the land discoveries as in this area we would do ship based excursions.

On our recent cruise several excursions were cancelled due to lack of interest. Surprisingly this included the insider visits with the Chef. My daughter had planned to buy this trip for us as a surprise but it was cancelled before the ship sailed and so were all of the chefs trips.

Of course there may have been an operational problem that we were not party to.

My question is, is there a minimum number of guests who have to sign up to a tour before the ship sails to avoid cancellation.

I had read that many people used OBC for excursions but the excursions I am talking about were cancelled before the ship actually sailed.

This happened on our first cruise also. Is this a regular occurrence on Azamara due to the small number of guests.

Having just enjoyed another Azamara cruise with our adult children my husband and I are thinking of booking the LCV cruise for our 35th wedding aniversary. We had another plan which because of his work commitments has had to be cancelled.

We are looking at this cruise for the destinations and not as LCV members as this will only be our third cruise with Azamara, although we have lots of loyality points from Celebrity.

The cruise is the Arabian Gulf cruise from Dubai.

However we are concerned about the land discoveries as in this area we would do ship based excursions.

On our recent cruise several excursions were cancelled due to lack of interest. Surprisingly this included the insider visits with the Chef. My daughter had planned to buy this trip for us as a surprise but it was cancelled before the ship sailed and so were all of the chefs trips.

Of course there may have been an operational problem that we were not party to.

My question is, is there a minimum number of guests who have to sign up to a tour before the ship sails to avoid cancellation.

I had read that many people used OBC for excursions but the excursions I am talking about were cancelled before the ship actually sailed.

This happened on our first cruise also. Is this a regular occurrence on Azamara due to the small number of guests.

You are LCV members - you have now sailed once with Azamara so your loyalty level will transfer over from Celebrity. Elite = Discoverer; Elite Plus = Discoverer Plus.

I totally agree with your concern, we are booked on this cruise and spent all of yesterday putting in place contingency plans, in our case we have a load of OBC which will be useless otherwise.

This level of cancellation is I am afraid a regular occurrence on Azamara at present, yes I hear it has not happened on the Norway trip but certainly my last four trips have had this issue each time.

We were on your cruise, I can add the information I had

a. Although advertised as a land discoveries trip, the lady on the desk on embarkation day knew nothing about them and said you had to talk to the chef

b. Later in the day, we saw the lovely Monica whom we know from previous trips and she said she had been expecting to do the trip in Livorno but had been told there was no interest

c. Later in the cruise the hotel director told us they had withdrawn offering the trips before the cruise because the concept needed to be refined. He was unaware they were on the website and said Land discoveries should not have done that.

d. Throughout the cruise the lady at land discoveries kept quoting 35 as a minimum number though when I pointed out this was impossible, not least because the trip we took on Day 2 which we had to book immediately as it was "the last two places available" only had 22 on it......they did say they would take that up with Miami.

e. When I asked could trips run below the minimum number in any circumstances I was told no, there were commercial targets to be met. I agree that Azamara is a business, but the profit focus should look at the overall big picture and not the profit of a small section. Again, the hotel director agreed this was something they would be looking at.

......make of it as you want but as I posted before, the start of our cruise was spoilt by land discoveries issues and I am now very reluctant to book another Azamara cruise where I am being offered land discoveries or onboard credit as an incentive.

Just over a week ago I was phoned by Miami and asked if I wanted to book any excursions, as my cruise was now almost 2 weeks away and I hadn't yet booked any.

I said " --and I won't be booking any, they are far too expensive."

Maybe this is the cut off time , as they too will have to cancel their sub contractors.

We also don't have any OBC to use up, our booking was made almost 2 years ago, when a Quest sailing in Spain was cancelled, to take her across the Atlantic, in preparation for a 28 day charter, Montreal to New Orleans.

Just over a week ago I was phoned by Miami and asked if I wanted to book any excursions, as my cruise was now almost 2 weeks away and I hadn't yet booked any.

I said " --and I won't be booking any, they are far too expensive."

Maybe this is the cut off time , as they too will have to cancel their sub contractors.

We also don't have any OBC to use up, our booking was made almost 2 years ago, when a Quest sailing in Spain was cancelled, to take her across the Atlantic, in preparation for a 28 day charter, Montreal to New Orleans.

I had heard there was a three days before the cruise cut off time - which ignores everyone with all the land discoveries credit who can only book onboard and can only buy excursions with this benefit. In addition there are all those with OBC. Last night I was trying to work out for the next cruises what was LDC and what was OBC. On the recent cruise I ended up having a not very good and seriously overpriced wash and blow dry to use up $100 of OBC we had planned to put towards and excursion. As we are in a suite so restaurants paid for, and already had unlimited internet and upgraded drinks through the like promotion, it was impossible to think of anything else to do with the money!

For our cruise on Journey that we have just completed we had $400 LDC both the tours we had chosen one on the first full day and one today in Piraeus had been cancelled, we were talked into the Insider Access tour in Sorrento instead which as it was on the first day once booked could not be cancelled. The tour was OK and used most of the LDC leaving $42 which went to waste, yesterday we were able to complete booking forms for our current cruise and the only tour we wanted was sold out! Fortunately we had a second call saying there had been a cancellation and we were on it.

Also spoke to Ryszard last night who confirmed that it's not possible to pre-book a tour, cancel and then re book using OBC when onboard.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Also spoke to Ryszard last night who confirmed that it's not possible to pre-book a tour, cancel and then re book using OBC when onboard.

Yes that was also my understanding. I think the poster who said they had done it somehow sneaked under the radar. I am going to be really angry if I have to waste time once onboard trying to sort out excursions for the second and third legs when I will also be subject to the ships internet charges. I have tried to plan around alternatives but I really dread this now.

Can you use the credits for the shops?

Normal OBC can be used in the shops but Azamara are also giving credits that can only be used for Land Discoveries. We had the Like passage and this gives $400 of LDC, this does not show on your booking confirmation or onboard account but is used to cancel the cost of any tours purchased.

We also have some early booking LDC that is showing on our booking confirmation, so no idea how this will work and we won't find out for a year or so.

Normal OBC can be used in the shops but Azamara are also giving credits that can only be used for Land Discoveries. We had the Like passage and this gives $400 of LDC, this does not show on your booking confirmation or onboard account but is used to cancel the cost of any tours purchased.

We also have some early booking LDC that is showing on our booking confirmation, so no idea how this will work and we won't find out for a year or so.

I think we all confused by this.. I know I am. i believe all LDC must be booked on ship and not sued wasted. .so far I not had any that i know of. I canceled a tour on ship and it went into normal OBC. so far no cruises that i must book a tour on the ship. but i know it will happen.

We have no OBC or Land Discovery credit for use on our forthcoming Arabian cruise on 24 Oct, but we are becoming increasingly disillusioned and concerned over the Land Discovery program. The tour descriptions and timings show a lack of care and attention to detail, resulting in some being inaccurate or nonsensical, and quite frankly, being missold. I have queried the content of 2 tours with shorex@rccl.com.

Tour MC58 – “Hop On Hop Off Muscat” – states that it includes a shuttle service to Qaboos Grand Mosque. However the Big Bus Tour’s own website clearly states that clients must take a taxi to the Mosque. RCCL’s shore ex team have confirmed that the tour does not offer a complimentary walking tour or the shuttle to the Mosque. They provided a revised description by email, but the Land Discoveries brochure is still incorrect.

Tour MC49 - "Mystical Muscat" – for Friday 28 October says " Enter Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque". However the Mosque is closed to non-Muslims on Fridays. In addition, the "Mystical Muscat" tour and MC52 - "Cultural Museum Tour" - for Friday 28 October include the "Bait Al Zubair" museum but, according to its website, it is closed on Fridays. RCCL’s response is “Friday is the weekly holiday in Oman and most of the sites are closed. Also 28 Oct’16 is a Friday and on Mystical Muscat (MC49) Sultan Qaboos. Mosque remains closed and no one is allowed to enter the same, however you will be allowed to view and take pictures from outside only. Bait Al Zubair Museum is also officially closed on Friday, however the operators contact the museum, closer to date to request the opening of the museum with special permission for our Azamara guests on 28 Oct’16.” The Land Discoveries brochure remains misleading.

Examples of nonsensical descriptions are Tour DA19 “Cosmopolitan Dubai with High Tea” at 09.00 on 25 Oct and Tour UD26 “High Tea at Emirates Palace” with departures at 09.30 on 1 Nov and 08.30 on 2 Nov.

Azamara’s website claims it has “In Depth Destination Expertise” but sadly this is not evidenced by the Land Discovery offerings.

Bonnie

Can you also help with the excursions on 7th Oct cruise.

SH07 Serene Salalah

Your tour starts with an outside visit of Grand Mosque at what may be the most exquisite mosque in Oman. The instructions for building the largest mosque were issued by His Majesty Sultan Qaboos bin Said. The invested patronage of His Majesty Sultan Qaboos, accompanied by his instructions to the team overseeing the project at the Diwan of the Royal Court, has endorsed the spiritual and architectural role of the Grand Mosque in marked tribute to the distinguished and noble Islamic heritage.

Important Notes: The Grand Mosque is open from Saturday to Thursday from 0800 hrs to 1100 hrs only. The visit to the Mosque is subject to change, in case the mosque is closed for tourists due to the visiting officials, holiday

celebrations or prayer, the guide will give a complete explanation from outside the mosque.

Problem is this excursion is being offered as a 4 hour trip from 1330. So what exactly happens on this trip as it seems it would be a reduced outside trip only

Hi Bonnie, I've highlighted some discrepancies and inaccuracies in the Land Discovery offerings for the 24 Oct Arabian cruise, and UKtog has now raised a query on another. Can these issues be escalated?

Edited by Wacktle

Hi Bonnie

Can I echo Wacktles plea

Tonight I tried to work on my plans and I have another query.

Nights in Cool Places, Best of Bahrain J209 is showing as starting at 1900 and is a 2.5 hours excursion. However, the ship leaves at 2100. We might be interested in this event but probably not if it is leaving earlier in the evening as we have day time plans, Or is it a much shorter trip than advertised.

I am trying to be positive about the land discoveries on the three cruises and am building lots of either or plans but honestly it is so frustrating when the discoveries information for the two cruises in the Middle East is so full of problems.

How can we get a correct version of the options for the 7th and 24th October?

Hi Bonnie

Can I echo Wacktles plea

Tonight I tried to work on my plans and I have another query.

Nights in Cool Places, Best of Bahrain J209 is showing as starting at 1900 and is a 2.5 hours excursion. However, the ship leaves at 2100. We might be interested in this event but probably not if it is leaving earlier in the evening as we have day time plans, Or is it a much shorter trip than advertised.

I am trying to be positive about the land discoveries on the three cruises and am building lots of either or plans but honestly it is so frustrating when the discoveries information for the two cruises in the Middle East is so full of problems.

How can we get a correct version of the options for the 7th and 24th October?

Let me start by saying that I have been on several Azamara cruises and have enjoyed them all. But, I agree with you that it is frustrating to deal with the land discoveries information. Unfortunately, I find that the types of things you and Wachtle mention have been the norm for me.

I will add even another oddity for the October 24th cruise, which I am also on. On October 24, we have several options. Two of those involve airport drop offs. Huh? Clearly these are meant for people getting off the prior cruise, but these options are not shown in their land discoveries brochure. Also, there is an excursion shown for 10 am. How does this work as persons embarking in Dubai will not even be on the ship yet?

I am also continuing on the November 3rd cruise. One of the tours in Cochin on November 10 states in bold print: The Pradesi Synagogue is closed on Fridays, Saturdays and Jewish Holidays, therefore guests will not be able to visit the same during Azamara Journey's call on April 12, 2014.I believe it is now 2016. You think they just pulled out some description for a tour on a past visit?

I have also had tours on past cruises where the description did not match what was delivered. But, usually what was delivered was fine and sometimes seemed like an improvement.

All in all. I'm sure everything will turn out fine. I will ultimately see things I have not seen before and enjoy the tours. But, I share your frustration about what seems like a sloppily run part of Azamara.

We still haven't mind up our minds re this cruise as it all may end up being a bit rushed. However I have still been doing some research as the flights I am looking at would get us into Dubai around about 7am. This would include transfers to the ship as it is with Azamara ( and may well be the day before with a hotel stay ). My TA mentioned cruise ships usually offering a tour to save you hanging around in some sort of holding area. Could this be the 10am tour?

Unfortunately my husband hasn't enough holiday left for an extended stay and this is adding to the complications.

We still haven't mind up our minds re this cruise as it all may end up being a bit rushed. However I have still been doing some research as the flights I am looking at would get us into Dubai around about 7am. This would include transfers to the ship as it is with Azamara ( and may well be the day before with a hotel stay ). My TA mentioned cruise ships usually offering a tour to save you hanging around in some sort of holding area. Could this be the 10am tour?

Unfortunately my husband hasn't enough holiday left for an extended stay and this is adding to the complications.

The 10am tour is an Insider Access trip (ie one with lower numbers) so I am not sure it is. Hope you can sort the plans out but I can understand how you would be nervous last minute without all the information you need.

We are booked on B2B 3 Nov & 17 Nov and am concerned to see that there are issues regarding tour cancellations. This is an itinerary driven cruise for us and would like to feel confident that tours will go ahead as booked. We generally do our own thing and book private tours but this time have also booked a few Land D's. I understand that tours do get cancelled from time to time due to lack of demand but it does seem that cancellations are becoming more common place.

We can only hope that some joined up thinking takes place in Miami asap. We don't have Land D's OBC credit so that is not our direct issue but if it is causing cancellations due to guests holding off tour bookings until boarding then Miami needs to resolve it so that we can actually "immerse" ourselves in destinations as promised.

We have a very large OBC on an upcoming cruise. We cannot book tours in advance and some tours have already been cancelled. Azamara knows how many /how much of an OBC passengers have. It is a shame that they cannot hold off on cancelling tours until after the 1st day of the cruise. This would give everyone that can't book in advance an opportunity to book. This would minimize cancelling due to low numbers , especially for those that have booked in advance because they do not have an OBC. Just a thought. 😄

We have a very large OBC on an upcoming cruise. We cannot book tours in advance and some tours have already been cancelled. Azamara knows how many /how much of an OBC passengers have. It is a shame that they cannot hold off on cancelling tours until after the 1st day of the cruise. This would give everyone that can't book in advance an opportunity to book. This would minimize cancelling due to low numbers , especially for those that have booked in advance because they do not have an OBC. Just a thought. 😄

I agree.

We were told onboard this is not possible because they cannot wait until then to cancel if they do not get take up, their suppliers need longer notice

I agree.

We were told onboard this is not possible because they cannot wait until then to cancel if they do not get take up, their suppliers need longer notice

That's interesting. I wonder if that is a policy that is going to be enacted through-out the cruise industry? We have been on all the main-stream cruise lines, and many others over the past 45 years, and have never had that as an issue! So many people select an excursion after they are on-board, so if it is now going to be the only option to book and pay before boarding on all excursions and lines, won't people just turn to doing their own thing, and not use the cruise-line's program? It doesn't seem to be the economical thing to do for the cruise-lines. Unless they just intend to eventually get rid of land excursions all-together?

I agree.

The obvious solution is for Azamara to allow people with Land Discoveries only OBC credit to pre-book so they have a headcount, so that tours can go forward. Then credit back the amount of their Land Discoveries OBC to their closing statement on departure. What is so hard about this?!?

That is a great solution! I understand about canceling and having to pay the tour providers… But they have been canceling tours months in advance. If we were allowed to pre-book like Pvkatmom suggests, they would just credit back the account and it would be a win win for everyone.