Port Blair-Permit Requirements

tabatha1

Hi

We are UK passengers calling at Port Blair on a Nov cruise. Just wondering if anyone has experience of this and whether they were able to get the Restricted Area Permit (RAPS) on arrival. Info on this is fairly minimal and Azamara Customer Service is being rather unhelpful and directing us to visa agents. We have received our Indian visas but despite including applications for RAPs they haven't provided them. We have queried this but no response as of yet. Thanks.

What is a Restricted Area? This is a new query for me.

Thanks Bonnie and Marinaro for your interest.

Bonnie, If you could investigate this it would be very helpful. P Blair is not a maiden port for Azamara and so the knowledge must be somewhere. I have posted this on the roll call for 17 Nov Journey in case others are also looking at it or maybe already have the answer.

Hi

We are UK passengers calling at Port Blair on a Nov cruise. Just wondering if anyone has experience of this and whether they were able to get the Restricted Area Permit (RAPS) on arrival. Info on this is fairly minimal and Azamara Customer Service is being rather unhelpful and directing us to visa agents. We have received our Indian visas but despite including applications for RAPs they haven't provided them. We have queried this but no response as of yet. Thanks.

We visited Port Blair on Azamara Quest in December 2014. We only had our Indian visas prior to arrival (Thai and UK passports). Indian immigration officials were onboard to check our documents as we left the ship in Port Blair. If we required Restricted Area Permits they must have been issued at that time.

We also visited Port Blair on Azamara. When we applied for our Indian Visa in the UK we also applied for a permit for The Andaman Islands which was stamped on our passport at no additional cost. Not terribly sure if Indian immigration paid any attention to it, and don't think anyone was prevented from going ashore.

Took the shuttle to the town and fought off the tuktuk drivers, eventually agreed on $10 with one which was a fortune to him, and after we had seen enough and wanted to walk the town, he followed us about in case we wanted to use him again.

Thanks Bonnie and Marinaro for your interest.

Bonnie, If you could investigate this it would be very helpful. P Blair is not a maiden port for Azamara and so the knowledge must be somewhere. I have posted this on the roll call for 17 Nov Journey in case others are also looking at it or maybe already have the answer.

I'm hearing from the ship personnel past experience that your Indian Visa will suffice.

That said, I must reiterate..."Azamara Club Cruises® requires guests to be personally responsible for bringing aboard all required documents, including passports, visas and proof of vaccinations."

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/booked-guests/you-board/travel-documents

Thanks very much Kamlee, Alfredo1 and Bonnie for the info. Much appreciated. Azamara Customer Services UK has also been back in touch to clarify the position.

CC is a fabulous resource and Bonnie's input is invaluable.

Thank you tabatha1; that's sweet of you.

And I agree that the CC community is a fabulous resource.

Yes, last time we had an Indian visa it started on the day of application, so no good applying until 3 months before the end date of the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You can get 6month Indian visas from the UK at no extra cost