World Tourism Day is promoting Universal Accessibility

BBMacLaird

World Tourism Day is September 27.

This year World Tourism Day is promoting Universal Accessibility. Nearly 1.2 billion people travel abroad each year. Yet so many people around the world live with disabilities that can present obstacles when traveling. We’re proud to help spread the message that travel should be for everyone.

Check out our blog "CELEBRATING WORLD TOURISM DAY WITH TEN INCREDIBLE TRAVEL PHOTOS"

Any chance that the Quest now has a more disabled friendly gangway then when we were taking our pictures of koalas in Tasmania back in January? And can we see a picture of the new gangway?

I haven't heard that we've replaced the gangways since January, northernlite. I'll inquire for you.

Thank you Bonnie. I've seen several cruises that look great but the spouse refuses to go through having 4 people trying to squeeze onto that little thing to carry me in the chair up and down. And I'll admit it scares me too as well as worrying about the crew members' safety.

Why the Journey has a fairly flat one while Quest has the dozens of tiny little steps makes no sense. The newer ones with the rubber center inbedded with a sandy surface to prevent slipping is the safest we have encountered on other lines.

Edited by NorthernLite

Any chance that the Quest now has a more disabled friendly gangway then when we were taking our pictures of koalas in Tasmania back in January? And can we see a picture of the new gangway?

Hello NorthernLite,

here's the answer I've received:

"Which gangway we use depends very much on the port and the tides. Sometimes there is a jetway to a terminal building, sometimes the gangway is a very flat walk-off from deck 3, and sometimes it is the stairs from deck 4. This is not something we can control."

Under this scenario, I presume the last option is the problematic gangway for you? I'm told there has been no replacement of the existing gangways, but I'm assured the ship personnel are always available to assist guests. Has this not been your experience?

In Antwerp, it was like climbing Mt. Everest to get back up the gangplank; not stairs, but a very steep slope. I think it was to Deck Five for that port, for whatever reason. As we got back from Paris, in Honfleur, they were replacing the stairs with the "flat" slope.

Hello NorthernLite,

here's the answer I've received:

"Which gangway we use depends very much on the port and the tides. Sometimes there is a jetway to a terminal building, sometimes the gangway is a very flat walk-off from deck 3, and sometimes it is the stairs from deck 4. This is not something we can control."

Under this scenario, I presume the last option is the problematic gangway for you? I'm told there has been no replacement of the existing gangways, but I'm assured the ship personnel are always available to assist guests. Has this not been your experience?

On the Journey we often used the crew exit on deck 3 which was a straight across when docking in most places. On a few it was from deck 4 but again, it was a flat gangway but sloped down to the pier. The Quest never used the crew exit on deck 3 and we did talk to the Hotel Manager about this. He said he knew what we were talking about as he had also worked on the Journey and did not understand why the Quest was different. On the Quest all of the ports were done using deck 4 with the stepped gangway and the crew exit was never opened. We thought there might have been a shortage of security or screening machines to operate both.

It is not a matter of assisting me down the gangway when it is a ton of tiny steps but the danger to both the crew and the passenger, me, on such narrow gangways. At almost every stop it appeared that a third deck exit would have made more sense to everyone as the tides were with an even over both arriving and leaving. There were no jet ways except for embarking in Sydney before going over to Circle Quay for the overnight until we left in Aukland.

Is it possible that there is no working exit on deck 3 of the Quest? Deck 4 was a climb for many of the ambulatory guests too. We loved every other part of the cruise and overall access is excellent.

Sue

Edited by NorthernLite