?s Re: Times on Emerald Waterways, Basel to Amsterdam: Boarding? Actual departure?

mlbcruiser

We'll be doing an Emerald Waterways Jewels of the Rhine (Basel to Amsterdam) cruise in a few weeks. Boarding "officially" is supposed to start at 2 p.m. Can anyone comment as to whether the line is strict about this? (I'm hoping they will take luggage drop offs prior to 2 pm, or if they sometimes allow passengers to board earlier than 2 p.m.?)

Also, what time does the boat actually leave the dock?

I'm asking because we have to return a rental car by 11 a.m. to a location in the city of Basel (about 10 minutes by car or taxi south of a couple of the northern river cruise docking locations). I definitely want to avoid having to take a taxi to a location to stash our bags and then use another form of transportation to get to Old Town to hang out for a couple of hours prior to boarding. We'd have to retrace our steps to go back and get the luggage then go back to the docking location to board! (My spouse has a physical limitation that would make doing that a huge inconvenience.) It sure would be a lot easier to drop our bags at the ship before returning the car.

Thanks for any info!

Edited by mlbcruiser

The reason I haven't called them about this is that I think they would reiterate their "official" boarding time (as most ocean cruise line reps would) and likely wouldn't want to encourage people to show up earlier. I could be wrong though.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, though!

The reason I haven't called them about this is that I think they would reiterate their "official" boarding time (as most ocean cruise line reps would) and likely wouldn't want to encourage people to show up earlier. I could be wrong though.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, though!

I called Emerald's sister company, Scenic, a few days before our May 1 cruise and they told me that we could board as early as 11 although we would not be able to get into the cabin. Hard to believe the cruise is already over!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...