Random Getaway questions

goldne

Hi, I have some questions about the Getaway! Sorry for so many, NCL newbie...

-How exactly does "freestyle" cruising work? Can you really just choose any restaurant to go to anytime and get seated with minimal wait?

-What specific restaurants are complimentary?

-Is room service offered? Is there a charge?

-Any soft serve ice cream machines? If so, where could we find this?

-Are there any formal nights?

-Are staterooms cleaned once or twice a day?

-Which deck is preferred for a standard balcony cabin? Any specific deck to avoid?

-Do balcony cabins receive bathrobes?

Thank you in advance!

-How exactly does "freestyle" cruising work? Can you really just choose any restaurant to go to anytime and get seated with minimal wait?

You can show up at complimentary restaurants and be seated shortly.

Tropicana room MDR, Taste MDR, Savor MDR, o'sheans, garden Buffet, Shanghai noodle bar.

Complimentary continental breakfast. All other food is delivered with a $8 delivery charge per order

Buffet during lunch and dinner hours.

No

Cleaned in the morning. Turndown in the evening. Fresh towels.

-Which deck is preferred for a standard balcony cabin? Any specific deck to avoid?

Check what is above and below you.

If not in your cabin, ask your room steward.

Thank you in advance!

Enjoy your cruise

We are headed out in a few weeks on the getaway but from what I've learned so far, you do need to make reservations at the specialty restaurants. We are just doing the free restaurants (there seem to be plenty) and saving our money on other things (though I've heard that these are really good). I'm bringing one nice dress (not passing up the opportunity for a nice family photo) but it doesn't seem there is a specific formal night- it sees to be a bit more laid back.

I'll try and remember to post more when we return from our trip next month.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I blogged about this-http://thecheerfulcruiser.blogspot.com/2016/06/what-is-freestyle-dining-on-norwegian.html

Taste, Savor, Tropicana, O'Sheehan's, the Garden Buffet and Shanghai Noddle Bar

Yes and yes, unless you are staying in the Haven

Yes and there is also hard scoop ice cream, sherbet and frozen yogurt in the buffet! The flavors vary a bit daily too!

There is a night dedicated to dressing up if you wish-with photo booths set up, but it is not mandatory

Twice Daily

We have been on deck 12 mid ship on the Getaway and also deck 8 forward. Both locations were ideal for different reasons. If you have little ones deck 12 works great as it is near the kids clubs.

I don't recall them- I think only Spa cabins or Haven cabins.

Thank you in advance!

Have a great cruise!!!!

Thank you this is all very helpful!

Hmm...no formal nights...what do people usually wear to dinner?

Formal = Gowns and Tuxes (very, very few left on NCL). Men in suits are also becoming less and less.

Resort Casual = Slacks/Summer Dresses/Skirts and Trousers/Collared Shirts/Shoes

Shorts are "allowed" in all restaurants except Ocean Blue and Le Bistro. That being said, you don't see that many shorts in the Specialty Restaurants or the Tropicana Room. Tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants.

Basically dress like you were going out to a club. If you are too mature for the clubbing scene, then dress as if you were going out to a nice restaurant for dinner (which you are).

On nights 2-6, there will be photographer stations all over decks 6,7,8 with various backdrops taking pictures if you wish. And the photographers roam the dining room. Best advise is to take as many pictures as possible. Nothing forces you to buy any,,, but you may come across one that will be a lasting memory of your time on the Getaway.

Thank you this is all very helpful!

Hmm...no formal nights...what do people usually wear to dinner?

For the buffet.. pretty much anything goes. as does pub

You'll see a big variety of clothing at night depending where people are dining. Some wear dresses from cocktail to summer, some wear capris with a nice shirt, some wear a nice pair of shorts and shirt. There truly is no dress code.

For the specialty dining you'll see a wide variety from really dressed up to pretty casual. But most in these resturants dress up a bit more. I wore a nice black pair of shorts, blouse, fancier sandals (its all in the accessories to dress u up or down! lol)

For men at specialty you'll see everything from full on suits, to slacks with a button down, to nice shorts with a polo and boat shoes.

Basically where what you would if you were going to this caliber restaurant on land.

• 3 weeks later...
Can someone tell me if there is a jacuzzi on the 17th deck, public side of the Vibe bar similar to the public jacuzzi at the Vibe bar on the Escape? Not within Vibe.

2 public Jacuzzi's on deck 16 in Spice H2O. Also waterfalls to cool off in.

When we were on the Jade in April --The Grand Pacific-- one of the 2 complimentary dining rooms REQUIRED pants on men/boys 13 and older (dinner only). My boys had to go back and change, which was fine. I didn't see this anywhere online before we went. Does the Getaway have this rule in any of their complementary dining rooms? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I hope they require ALL passengers to have on pants. I do not want to see anyone with their private stuff on display! :D

Guess I should specify...they had to change out of their shorts and put on long pants instead [emoji3]

When we were on the Jade in April --The Grand Pacific-- one of the 2 complimentary dining rooms REQUIRED pants on men/boys 13 and older (dinner only). My boys had to go back and change, which was fine. I didn't see this anywhere online before we went. Does the Getaway have this rule in any of their complementary dining rooms? Thanks!

It applies in the Tropicana. They have a FAQ here. There are also stricter requirements for Le Bistro and Ocean Blue.

It applies in the Tropicana. They have a FAQ here. There are also stricter requirements for Le Bistro and Ocean Blue.

Ohh, I see it now, I clearly misread it before. Required in "Aft Main Dining Room" all nights on cruises >/= 5 days....that IS The Grand Pacific on the Jade! I assume Tropicana must the the Aft main dining room, Thanks for the info!