Anyone taken the train to the port from Rome city?

wizdiz

I am getting to Rome 1 day early and staying near the center of the city. I see car service to the port can be way over 100$ but see can take a train for around 20$ Anyone ever done this? I will have a big suitcase. Will this make it tough? I see can reserve a seat if 1st class. Do they have luggage storage?

Easy peasey. If you leave from a Termini, you'll have good seat options. Good, reliable train service. With luggage, you'll want to take a short taxi ride to the pier.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Take the most expensive train rather then the cheaper local one. The latter has the reputation for luggage being stolen and pickpockets working as those trains get full of rich foreigners going to or from cruise ships!!

We did the train. There are also some reasonable shuttle services... way cheaper than private car. Lots of ideas on the PORTS OF CALL subforums.

Make sure you check out your roll call as well.

I did it ...never again ,the Civi track is the very last one .you will walk in Termini for endless blocks

You will need to drag your suitcase up stairs very quickly

No room to put it anywhere on the train

Its very crowded

Once in Civi ..more stairs ...cobble stones to port a few blocks away

Save yourself some heartache get a transfer with a reliable company .do not take the train .you will be exhausted ...

I've done it, obviously is not the most confortable way but is easy and cheap. There are lots of trains going to civitaveccia. Is true that the train will be full of other cruisers. I do not remember if there is any place to leave the suitcases but i prefer to have them by my side just in case. To go up and leave the train as I said, there are lots of cruisers you'll find yourself helping or being helped to take them up and down to the train stairs.

Once in civitavechia I think now they've change where you take the bus to your ship. But before that it was a 10-15 minute walk. Depending of the kind of weels of the suitcase you can walk or take a cab(never done it, but I suppose there are cabs).

For disembarkation day I'd recomend a shuttle, car...

We took the cheap train. Yes, longest train platform in history, yes there are pickpockets. Would i do it again? Yes of course. It's a straight through journey, great price.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes We took the train. It is a wee walk to the train but once on very easy. Once we arrived we paid (not much) for the bus outside the station which took us to the free ship transfer bus outside the port.

I would do it again, much cheaper.

For the way back to the airport we booked a private transfer.

Not many people embark at Rome so it is not al all busy, we had no queues at all to get on or off.

We took it in from city centre and managed fine--until we got off and walked FOREVER to get to the busses to take us to the cruise terminal (I use that lightly as it wasn't a terminal when we were there 2 years ago, as Rome had very few people embarking). I wouldn't do it again though, I would book a shuttle service, which isn't too expensive. Our large suitcases weren't able to be kept next to us and there is some substantial walking in the terminal and then to the port, on some cobble stone and uneven terrain and a recipe for disaster with the wheels on your luggage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks, everyone! Sadly this is the first cruise that I have ever been on that no meet and greet is planned. There is a thread opened but no one has written on it in weeks. I think I will pay more and be comfortable since this is a vacation.

We just did the opposite last week, taking the train from Civitavecchia to Rome Termini after our cruise was over. I just purchased the train tickets online direct from the official Italian train operator, and since it was several months in advance (I believe that I booked the train tickets in February and used them in May), I was able to do a super bargain on 1. class tickets - paid less than EUR 10 p.p. Very nice train experience - no sign of "pick-pockets" in the wagon, it seemed like mostly business people apart from us.The train was on time, had no stops and used only 45 minutes to Rome Termini station. I believe they just offer a few of the the "super-deal" for 1. class tickets, and only when you book several months in advance.

PS: We planned on taking a taxi from the pier to the Civitavecchia train station - but absolutely no taxi driver wanted to take us for such a short distance, so we ended up having to wait in a long line for the bus instead (I believe the bus ticket was EUR 2,00 p.p. and you had to purchase it before you boarded the bus). Just be prepared that the situation might be the same when wanting to go from the Civitavecchia train station to the cruise port. It is not a long distance - less than a mile, but long enough to walk if you have to drag suitcases along...

It really is easy from the Termini train station and inexpensive. Pickpockets are all over Europe`s larger cities. I got pinched in Paris 4 years ago and vowed never again. I now use a wallet that hooks on my belt and tucks in on the inside of my shorts. It`s really not that inconvenient and I feel safe with passports, cash, CCs etc.

Also we bought small metal locks for carry-ons and suitcases, as we knew a couple, where the dirtbag pickpocket`s kids unzipped their bags and clothes, iPads, phones, etc. spilled out and of course were "collected".

A few lit`l hacks and we now worry much less and enjoy our trips more.

I am getting to Rome 1 day early and staying near the center of the city. I see car service to the port can be way over 100$ but see can take a train for around 20$ Anyone ever done this? I will have a big suitcase. Will this make it tough? I see can reserve a seat if 1st class. Do they have luggage storage?

We've done this twice. Give yourself plenty of time at the Termini rail station. The trains to Termini are quite a walk once you're in the station. Maybe 10 minutes. The train will be full of others going to the cruise terminal. Ride is smooth and easy. My recollection is that we simply walked to the boat. But we have very reasonable luggage. One 24" rollable and one carry on, also rollable. Never talk luggage you can't handle on any trip. And we did these voyages at the finish of a month traveling in Europe.

Thanks for asking the question! I'll need to get to the port from Rome for my cruise in Sept. Fortunately, we have a pretty active roll call and there are several of us coming in early and sharing a private service to the port. Looks like we made the right decision!! :D

We have taken the train to port several times. However, we have boarded at the St. Peter station at the Vatican and have avoided Termini. There are stairs to get up to the train, but we pack light and it has not been a problem. If you leave mid to late morning, the train is usually not crowded. Many times we have been able to keep our bags next to our seat. Once the train arrives, you can take a taxi to the shuttle buses to the cruise entrance. In fact, we shared a taxi with other people on the train. we avoid Termini because of the long walk to the train and the eager young men who want to help you with your luggage and then demand a large tip. The train is economical and arrives at the port in 45 minutes.