Football on the Getaway with a Child?

Most of the (for lack of better term) sports you will see on board is kickball (some call it soccer), only teh most boring non-sport in the world.

Not boring compared to American Football. But to each his own.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Your chances are slim to none. We sailed twice last year during football season. All the screens were tuned to European soccer, or discussions of European soccer, or replays of European soccer (see a pattern here?)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We sailed during the Superbowl a few years ago. Not only did they not show it anywhere, it wasn't even available on their television channels. If you really, really care about watching something, either record it and watch it when you get home or change your cruise. Don't count on their showing the game. :(

Note that their games are limited to those carried by their satellite provider. It's unlikely any non-playoff NFL or College games will be an option on the European carriers or at least not at a price NCL will be willing to pay. If they do carry some, they will pick 1 or 2 of the weeks offerings max.

We sailed during the Superbowl a few years ago. Not only did they not show it anywhere, it wasn't even available on their television channels. If you really, really care about watching something, either record it and watch it when you get home or change your cruise. Don't count on their showing the game. :(

Wow! That's unbelievable!!!! Was there a lot of upset people as a result?

Maybe I should have stuck with DCL that week.lol

Ugh, this is bad news. I planned an entire day at Disney World around that game last year. I have never missed it.

Our cruise is Thanksgiving week, but the following week we will be in WDW, so won't even be home til 12/3.. recording it wouldn't help at that point. No way I could go that long without knowing the outcome.

Your chances are slim to none. We sailed twice last year during football season. All the screens were tuned to European soccer, or discussions of European soccer, or replays of European soccer (see a pattern here?)

Lol. I love soccer, but not when OSU football is on.

Note that their games are limited to those carried by their satellite provider. It's unlikely any non-playoff NFL or College games will be an option on the European carriers or at least not at a price NCL will be willing to pay. If they do carry some, they will pick 1 or 2 of the weeks offerings max.

NCL doesn't have ESPN?

And don't count on watching the World Series either, even out of NYC or in the Caribbean. Last year on Gem out of San Juan there were no games, evidently NCL not willing to pay the premium required to show it on tv

And don't count on watching the World Series either, even out of NYC or in the Caribbean. Last year on Gem out of San Juan there were no games, evidently NCL not willing to pay the premium required to show it on tv

Wow. Are they not even available on the tvs in the cabin?

Wow. Are they not even available on the tvs in the cabin?

The stateroom channels are the same throughout the ship...... they don't have separate satellite subscriptions for public space and staterooms

It's a European sports channel called "Sport 24"

Ugh, this is bad news. I planned an entire day at Disney World around that game last year. I have never missed it.

Our cruise is Thanksgiving week, but the following week we will be in WDW, so won't even be home til 12/3.. recording it wouldn't help at that point. No way I could go that long without knowing the outcome.

We're on the Getaway that week too. We've taken cruises over the Thanksgiving week for since the early 2000's. The past few years with NCL. If it's NFL football you're referring to you can expect to see Sunday & Monday night games and Thanksgiving Day games.

We have never missed NFL football during the week of Thanksgiving on Disney, Royal, Princess, Carnival or NCL and except to enjoy the games this year on the Getaway.

Our favorite team has their biggest game of the year on 11/25. Is there an appropriate place where my 7 year old can watch it with me?

O'Sheehan's

That sucks. We watched the World Series on the Escape Transatlantic the year before. We also watched our favorite team play Monday night football that same cruise.

Nothing is a boring as watching 22 guys kick a ball the back and forth the length of the field with nothing ever happening that even slightly resembles sports. Lets review the skills required to play kickball...

1) You have to be able to run.

2) You have to be able to kick a round ball.

3) End.

Reading your wind up posts must be up there in the boring stakes.

Our favorite team has their biggest game of the year on 11/25. Is there an appropriate place where my 7 year old can watch it with me?

No guarantee of exactly which games NCL will show, but they definitely do have football games during the season shown on TVs throughout the ship. You'll be able to watch in your cabin but some of the bigger games are shown on the big screen in the Atrium. Check your Freestyle for what/when/where.

Tracy

Had to go to a bar and listen to someone who was getting the audio on their cell phone.

This is going to to vary drastically cruise to cruise, game to game.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

There were many, many people upset. The game was in Miami that year and we embarked in Miami. Most people assumed they'd show the game in the sports bar, but they didn't carry it. We learned that if there is something important to us, we need to check to see if it's available to watch on board or change our plans. You can always check scores on the internet, but not the same thing I know.

On that cruise they are likely to have ESPN International/Satellite , which is a very different channel than US ESPN.

Live sports are typically purchased separately from the broadcast channels as well, and for that to happen the satellite carrier has to license them.

It's likely they will have one or two of the NFL games, but which ones who knows. College football is far less likely unless the satellite carrier already has it.

The key here is NEVER depend on a specific event being available on any given cruise.

NCL doesn't have ESPN?

We're on the Getaway that week too. We've taken cruises over the Thanksgiving week for since the early 2000's. The past few years with NCL. If it's NFL football you're referring to you can expect to see Sunday & Monday night games and Thanksgiving Day games.

We have never missed NFL football during the week of Thanksgiving on Disney, Royal, Princess, Carnival or NCL and except to enjoy the games this year on the Getaway.

College football.. but this is positive news!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums