How are you affected by the USD/CDN Rate - Canadian Cruisers?

cessnabmw

We are not cruising if we have to pay in USD. Our last cruise in March was purchased in Australian dollars-almost the same as CAD.

Nor are we buying any US dollar priced vacations. We have a wedding at an AI in Mexico in Jan. Price was committed some time ago. But, we had planned to spend an extended, 2 month, vacation in Puerto Vallarta. We have switched this and decided to go to Cambodia and Vietnam instead.

We use our Chase visa for all foreign transaction and cash advances. We save the 2.5 percent fee that we would otherwise be paying on our CIBC Visa or our ATM withdrawal. The savings add up for us because of our frequent travel.

We do pay attention to currency. A few years ago we delayed a trip to South Africa by one year. We saved just over 10 percent in currency because the Rand depreciated.

The dollar was a factor in us selecting Royal (Allure) over Disney (Fantasy). Disney's price is in USD and even ignoring different currencies, it was about $1000 more than Royal for similar cruise and room type. Also, at payment time, we know what we are paying with Royal since our price is CAD. WIth Disney, it would be at the rate at the time.

Another great thing with Royal is you can purchase OBC at 1.1% if you book in CAD. Great considering the current rates.

So only USD amount we need to worry about is in ports (but there is an option to withdraw cash from OBC) and hotel pre-cruise.

We booked on a cruise for December out of Baltimore. It's only an eight hour drive from Toronto and what we save on airfare is far greater than what we'd lose due to the exchange rate.

We are also cruising out of Baltimore next month. We also felt that driving to the port would save us alot, however, by the time we had to make the final payment the CDN$ had dropped alot from the time we booked. We are planning to take two nights to get to Baltimore so with hotel and food costs I'm not sure how much, if anything we are saving. I would suggest that making the initial reservation in CDN$ would be the way to go. I did this for my cruise next May so I don't care how the CDN$ goes except for having to buy Euros.

Did they send it automatically or do you need to re apply ??

I used TD USD VISA for US purchases & just buy USD when the rate is good

They sent the letter and the credit card automatically to replace the Sears MC. I have a TD USD Visa too but they do add 2.5% to the exchange rate for that day as their 'take'. The Sears MC did not nor will the new Scotia bank MC I just received.

The dollar was a factor in us selecting Royal (Allure) over Disney (Fantasy). Disney's price is in USD and even ignoring different currencies, it was about $1000 more than Royal for similar cruise and room type. Also, at payment time, we know what we are paying with Royal since our price is CAD. WIth Disney, it would be at the rate at the time.

Another great thing with Royal is you can purchase OBC at 1.1% if you book in CAD. Great considering the current rates.

So only USD amount we need to worry about is in ports (but there is an option to withdraw cash from OBC) and hotel pre-cruise.

I don't think the Royal exchange rate is 1.1%. We cruised Royal last August and it was 10% at that time. A $500 US OBC cost me $550. 10% is a great rate. 1.1% would be phenomenal if it's true.

I don't think the Royal exchange rate is 1.1%. We cruised Royal last August and it was 10% at that time. A $500 US OBC cost me $550. 10% is a great rate. 1.1% would be phenomenal if it's true.

Right. We're saying the same thing. $500 USD x 1.1 = 550 CAD

Current USD to CAD rate = 1.34

So 1.1% is much better than 1.34%

They sent the letter and the credit card automatically to replace the Sears MC. I have a TD USD Visa too but they do add 2.5% to the exchange rate for that day as their 'take'. The Sears MC did not nor will the new Scotia bank MC I just received.

I only use the TD VISA for purchases in USD no fee added

I used the Sears MC for other out of country purchases

In Canada we use RBC VISA so hard to keep track LOL

I just got off the NCL POA that was booked at 1.11% in August. I also purchased $700us OBC for $777.77cdn. :) I used OBC of $250us ($277.50cdn) and purchased 2x (50%off) cruise next credits. The onboard consultant wrote on the invoice that the credits were for 2x $250us or 2x $330cdn.:D I've got 4 years to use it so maybe the cdn dollar will rebound in that time.

No winter cruise, no vacation in the US this year. Exchange is too high.

Just booked air for eight weeks of independent travel in Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam.

Saved over $40. CAD already in Visa add on fees simply by using our Chase Marriott Visa card. On our fall trip we saved over $100. in these pesky add on fees. I suspect we will save more on this upcoming trip.

Right. We're saying the same thing. $500 USD x 1.1 = 550 CAD

Current USD to CAD rate = 1.34

So 1.1% is much better than 1.34%

Not the same thing at all. Take away the percentage signs in your last line and then you are correct.

$500 x $1.1 = $550 CAD but

$500 x 1.1% does not equal $550 CAD, it equals $505.50.

You are confusing multiplying dollars and multiplying percentages.

Check on your calculator. 1.1% of $500 is $5.50.

We are not planning any US travel or the purchase of any US priced vacations. We may do cruises but only if we book in local currency (as we have done in Australia) and only if the price is right. Which for us always means a late booking as part of a land tour.

So this winter we have booked 2 months in Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam. Next September it will probably be Croatia, Turkey, Greece (exchange here vis a vis CAD is still reasonably good). Next winter....probably Thailand again for the fourth year in a row or perhaps the Philippines.

These actually come as a break from cruising. But our issue is once we add the exchange, a cruise vacation is seldom very competitive with other vacation options.

The good news for us.... Tourism where we live is up (Calgary, Banff, etc) and we expect a booming tourist season. It is a pleasure to welcome US tourists(and others of course) and I certainly hope that they make the most of our low dollar. We did exactly the same when the US dollar was low not so long ago.

Edited by iancal

Not staying home so just booked 2 cruises for April

got a discounted rate for Canadians that I can live with

we just booked a outside cabin no need for a balcony

I am hoping the loonie will go up before final payment in Jan but if not I will just live with it ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Not staying home so just booked 2 cruises for April

got a discounted rate for Canadians that I can live with

we just booked a outside cabin no need for a balcony

I am hoping the loonie will go up before final payment in Jan but if not I will just live with it ;)

But why didn't you book in Canadian dollars? Then it doesn't matter what the loonie does. The price you book at is the price you pay. Plus you can pay your gratuities and put on onboard credit in CAD with a great exchange rate.

But why didn't you book in Canadian dollars? Then it doesn't matter what the loonie does. The price you book at is the price you pay. Plus you can pay your gratuities and put on onboard credit in CAD with a great exchange rate.

Totally agree with that statement.

Not all cruise lines take CAD

I did get a discount of $500 pp so it does help

We get PPG from TA & a nice OBC from loyalty program so all that is covered ;)

You have to do what work best for YOU

Edited by LHT28

We passed on a winter cruise this year in part because of the low dollar and made alternate vacation arrangements.

We have also started planning for next winter. It will be a land trip to where our dollar gets some traction-South America.

Cannot see the dollar coming back over the next year given what is going on with oil in the west and manufacturing in the east.

Edited by iancal

• 1 month later...
Not all cruise lines take CAD

I did get a discount of $500 pp so it does help

We get PPG from TA & a nice OBC from loyalty program so all that is covered ;)

You have to do what work best for YOU

I'd like to know which cruise lines don't let you book in CAD so I can avoid even looking at their cruises.

I've sailed Carnival, MSC, NCL, Costa, Royal Caribbean and just booked Celebrity and they all were booked in CAD BUT with a travel agent. If you book in CAD through the cruiseline you pay the bank/credit card exchange rate. Book through a Canadian TA and you get a much better deal. (Although I heard the rates changed January 1st so glad I booked earlier.) My next cruise is Carnival and it was booked CAD with a 30% exchange rate and even that is a bargain now. Once booked at that rate, it does not change.

Edited by Paddy41

I'd like to know which cruise lines don't let you book in CAD so I can avoid even looking at their cruises.

I've sailed Carnival, MSC, NCL, Costa, Royal Caribbean and just booked Celebrity and they all were booked in CAD BUT with a travel agent. If you book in CAD through the cruiseline you pay the bank/credit card exchange rate. Book through a Canadian TA and you get a much better deal. (Although I heard the rates changed January 1st so glad I booked earlier.) My next cruise is Carnival and it was booked CAD with a 30% exchange rate and even that is a bargain now. Once booked at that rate, it does not change.

Oceania I know for sure you can't book in Canadian.

Have you looked at MSC lately. Great balcony deals. $1,700 Cdn all in for two.

Cheapest flights from Detroit for $298 Cdn per person return.

How do you see Canadian prices? When I look at their website, there is a 'change country' option but it doesn't do anything (and thus, sticks to US).

Edited by LuCruise

How do you see Canadian prices? When I look at their website, there is a 'change country' option but it doesn't do anything (and thus, sticks to US).

The prices I quoted are the present Canadian exchange from $US.

1207 $US includes all taxes and fees for a balcony B1. Flight in Canadian dollars from a canadian travel sites.

Even at today's exchange rate, that is a great deal.