Is Global Entry (trusted traveler status) available for use at any U.S. Cruise termi

bellasorella

I haven't bothered to get GE since losing my DH but am debating cruising from Port Everglades this winter. I was going to apply to GE but after reading the comments here, I wonder if I even should bother.

I always sail in a Suite and am a senior citizen...... maybe I have no need specifically for GE at Port Everglades if those two facts would enable me to priority line?

We were pleased to be able to use our GE to quickly get through the line when coming off the Regal Princess a few weeks ago (in Port Everglades). But lets clear up some misconceptions about the program in the USA. It currently costs $100 a person, involves completing a long application form, and then later scheduling a face to face interview (with CBP) at any of their specified locations. There is no guarantee that you will be accepted into the program, and no refund of the $100 if you are rejected. The approval is good for only 5 years. Contrary to what was posted in this thread, you do not get GE because you are a senior and seniors do not get a discount (. In Port Everglades it probably saved us about 15 min since we avoided a longer line. But the real benefit is for those who fly into the USA and need to clear Immigration. The program at Port Everglades is new, and they do not have the automated kiosks like at the major airports. At the Port we were simply shuttled into a shorter line but still had to see a CBP officer.

Those who have a GE number can apply to a few other programs around the world (there is a new one in the UK) but each program involves a separate application and fee. And if applying to Nexus one still has to do a face-to-face with the Canadian officials.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We were pleased to be able to use our GE to quickly get through the line when coming off the Regal Princess a few weeks ago (in Port Everglades). But lets clear up some misconceptions about the program in the USA. It currently costs $100 a person, involves completing a long application form, and then later scheduling a face to face interview (with CBP) at any of their specified locations. There is no guarantee that you will be accepted into the program, and no refund of the $100 if you are rejected. The approval is good for only 5 years. Contrary to what was posted in this thread, you do not get GE because you are a senior and seniors do not get a discount (. In Port Everglades it probably saved us about 15 min since we avoided a longer line. But the real benefit is for those who fly into the USA and need to clear Immigration. The program at Port Everglades is new, and they do not have the automated kiosks like at the major airports. At the Port we were simply shuttled into a shorter line but still had to see a CBP officer.

Those who have a GE number can apply to a few other programs around the world (there is a new one in the UK) but each program involves a separate application and fee. And if applying to Nexus one still has to do a face-to-face with the Canadian officials.

Hank

Yes, thanks for providing that information Hank. We went through the payment and interview process and received our GE cards and clearance. We are very much interested in the shorter line at Port Everglades. :)

I haven't bothered to get GE since losing my DH but am debating cruising from Port Everglades this winter. I was going to apply to GE but after reading the comments here, I wonder if I even should bother.

I always sail in a Suite and am a senior citizen...... maybe I have no need specifically for GE at Port Everglades if those two facts would enable me to priority line?

Since you are in a suite, you can talk to the concierge about assisting you with departure from the ship. :)

Since you are in a suite, you can talk to the concierge about assisting you with departure from the ship. :)

Thanks, Coralc.

I've traveled in and out of U.S. dozens and dozens of times and am on my fourth passport. No reason I wouldn't be approved to get GE but I question if it is even worth it to me.

When I sailed NCL this summer with friends, the concierge did get us right through the line very quickly.

Thanks, Coralc.

I've traveled in and out of U.S. dozens and dozens of times and am on my fourth passport. No reason I wouldn't be approved to get GE but I question if it is even worth it to me.

When I sailed NCL this summer with friends, the concierge did get us right through the line very quickly.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. Global Entry expedites your re-entry into the US at airport kiosks which allow you to scan your passport; and clear customs & immigration quicker.

That is at airports. Until they roll out Global Entry at cruise ports...no, it wouldn't help you to have it. :)

Edited by Coralc

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. Global Entry expedites your re-entry into the US at airport kiosks which allow you to scan your passport; and clear customs & immigration quicker.

That is at airports. Until they roll out Global Entry at cruise ports...no, it wouldn't help you to have it. :)

Yes, I understand that, however, there have been a number of posts saying GE is now in place in Port Everglades. I have cruised in and out of there dozens of times. If I were to sail HAL this winter, they sail out of/into Port Everglades for the Caribbean.

Yes, I understand that, however, there have been a number of posts saying GE is now in place in Port Everglades. I have cruised in and out of there dozens of times. If I were to sail HAL this winter, they sail out of/into Port Everglades for the Caribbean.

But you already have a suite, and the concierge can assist you with expedited disembarkation.

If you read this thread.....Port Everglades may be initiating Global Entry disembarkation. There are 17 terminals at Port Everglades, it is not clear if it will be available at all terminals or for all sailings.

Obviously, I'm not quite sure what answer you are looking for, but I won't try anymore. :)

I see this thread was moved to "Ask a Cruise Question" from the RCL board, I am definitely done.:rolleyes:

Edited by Coralc
Annoyed

Thanks, Coralc.

It's not about how well traveled you are. It's how well you can pass the background check-- any convictions will automatically disqualify you.

I have it for airports, and would love it for cruise ports. However, it's not worth getting it JUST for cruising if they don't have the kiosks.

If you read this thread.....Port Everglades may be initiating Global Entry disembarkation. There are 17 terminals at Port Everglades, it is not clear if it will be available at all terminals or for all sailings.

Global Entry is at all terminals in Port Everglades now according to an inquiry to CBP on the Princess Board. I saw it last month in Terminal 2 (Princess). As others have said, they have not installed the kiosks; specific line(s) are dedicated to Global Entry in each terminal.

Edited by capriccio

I am the OP and came in on Independence of the Seas in November (cannot remember the terminal #). They had SIGNS for Global Entry but no real line. I asked about it and they said if you have your CARD you move to the front of the line. They don't have the kiosks yet so you have to have your actual card with you. Then you need to tell someone and they move you up. It was clear to me they were just now beginning to roll it out.

I am cruising into Port Everglades again in December so I will try to get updated information for everyone.

Edited by LisaAtlCruiser

Global Entry is at all terminals in Port Everglades now according to an inquiry to CBP on the Princess Board. I saw it last month in Terminal 2 (Princess). As others have said, they have not installed the kiosks; specific line(s) are dedicated to Global Entry in each terminal.

Fantastic news.

Keith

I am the OP and came in on Independence of the Seas in November (cannot remember the terminal #). They had SIGNS for Global Entry but no real line. I asked about it and they said if you have your CARD you move to the front of the line. They don't have the kiosks yet so you have to have your actual card with you. Then you need to tell someone and they move you up. It was clear to me they were just now beginning to roll it out.

I am cruising into Port Everglades again in December so I will try to get updated information for everyone.

Back when we got ours they put it in your passport. However, since them they have sent us an actual card. Probably why they emphasized the card.

It's not about how well traveled you are. It's how well you can pass the background check-- any convictions will automatically disqualify you.

I have it for airports, and would love it for cruise ports. However, it's not worth getting it JUST for cruising if they don't have the kiosks.

That is obvious, isn't it? :D

I've never had so much as a speeding ticket though I had a few parking tickets. :eek:

Thank you for getting my point about whether it would be worth it to get only for cruise port. I suspect it would be a waste for me.

Port Everglades has Global Entry lines in all cruise terminals.

There are no kiosks and no plans to add a kiosk.

Only one family member needs to show their Global Entry card and family that is listed on the customs declaration form will also get front of the line privileges.

Customs rolled it out to all US Ports....Port Everglades was proactive and was the first to have Global Entry.

Edited by foflocruiser

One major benefit of Global Entry is that you also get TSA PreCheck at airports - which is a $75 value by itself!

When we arrived at Port Everglades on Nov. 2 - we were told Global Entry wasn't available. Even if it had been available - we didn't have our cards with us.

One major benefit of Global Entry is that you also get TSA PreCheck at airports - which is a $75 value by itself!

When we arrived at Port Everglades on Nov. 2 - we were told Global Entry wasn't available. Even if it had been available - we didn't have our cards with us.

Well...mostly you do. Out of the previous 6 flights, I haven't received Pre-Check on 2 of them. As it was explained to me, the computer gives and the computer takes away. :D

I have not read all the posts, so forgive me but I will tell you what happened with us at Port Everglades two days ago. We disembarked at Pier 18, and saw the signs in the terminal stating "Global Entry" and the arrow pointing "this way".... when we asked an employee, his face scrunched up and he had no idea what we were talking about. As the line for C&I was not that long and they had a lot of agents on, we couldn't really do anything but wait. When we got up to the agent, my husband showed our Nexus cards asked about it; the agent said there are no kiosks/machines at this time but "if you tell the ship, they are supposed to send you to the front of the line.". Hmm.

I think we would have felt bad for cutting in line in front of others, so whatever. We also weren't in a rush as we had an afternoon flight.

On 11/21 I disembarked Emerald Princess at Pier/Terminal 2. In the terminal, the line was backed up to the escalator. It wrapped the length of the luggage area then the width of the luggage area before entering the next bay where the full queue for customs. I had my GE card out and asked at the base of the escalator. The Princess agent acknowledged and said that would apply once I got into the next bay for the queue. I looked at the long ling with a pause. Then I extended my arm with GE card showing and walked along side the line waiting to queue, past everyone in the luggage room and right up to the agent at the start of the "special assistance" who acknowledged my GE card and allowed me to proceed in that short queue.

I EASILY saved a good hour.

I didn't feel bad or worry that someone might think I was cutting the line. That's why I had my card out and was flashing it as I walked past everyone. Granted, most probably did NOT know what it was all about. But if they were eyeing me, they were able to conclude that whatever credential I had was acceptable to the Princess agent to allow me to bypass the primary line and enter the "special assistance" line.

One more time: there are NOT any kiosks for use. However you MUST have your GE card out as the US Immigration Agent does use it.

Got off in Port Eveglades on Saturday Dec 5 and if it hadn't been for us being able to scoot to the Trusted Traveler line, we would have missed our flight for sure. The line was at least 2 hours long to get out.

Were you on Navigator? I heard about the lines :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Global Entry is available in all cruise terminals in Port Everglades.

There will never be a kiosk...you will receive front of the line privileges.

Global Entry was rolled in Port Everglades Summer 2015.

Port Everglades was first in rolling this program out...

Edited by foflocruiser