Is Global Entry (trusted traveler status) available for use at any U.S. Cruise termi

bellasorella

Maybe, but that won't do anything for the U.S. citizens disembarking in Vancouver.

Global Entry is joint for Canada and the US. Nexus card holders in Canada automatically have Global Entry status

So yes it will help US citizens entering Canada.

Global Entry is joint for Canada and the US. Nexus card holders in Canada automatically have Global Entry status

Gold - Actually no. Global Entry and Nexus as not the same. A GE holder needs to pay $50 extra to get the Canadian status. MY GE card is not accepted for entering Canada. As Rotal said they were thrown back and I was told to get a passport in NO, Vancouver, FLL and other ports. It will however still work in Vancouver airport where we clear US immigration and customs for US flights.

Global Entry ONLY works at SELECTED international airports.

Gold - Actually no. Global Entry and Nexus as not the same. A GE holder needs to pay $50 extra to get the Canadian status. MY GE card is not accepted for entering Canada. As Rotal said they were thrown back and I was told to get a passport in NO, Vancouver, FLL and other ports. It will however still work in Vancouver airport where we clear US immigration and customs for US flights.

Global Entry ONLY works at SELECTED international airports.

I'm a bit confused.... is the Nexus card going to speed things up for those that have it a some cruise ports?

Nope, but if you have the CPB sticker they waive you right through

They no longer use those stickers for those of us in Global Entry. The reality is that when coming into most US Ports the passenger clearance lines are very short (we have even entered at some ports where there was no person to person check).

Hank

I don't think I have ever waited more than 5 minutes to clear immigration and customs coming off a cruise in any port.

I wish this were true for me. The last time we arrived in Fort Lauderdale, there was one (1) immigration officer for the entire ship. The cruise director asked passengers to wait on the ship. He would tell us later when to disembark.

I don't think I have ever waited more than 5 minutes to clear immigration and customs coming off a cruise in any port.

It has never taken less than thirty minutes to get through both immigration and customs after getting off a cruise. Customs is usually just a walk-through, but there is always a fairly long, slow-moving line - either on board or in the terminal.

No, Global Entry is a program for Americans (and a few other countries' citizens) only -- not Canadians. Nexus is a joint program between Canada and the US for both Canadians and Americans; Canadians who are Nexus card holders can use the GE kiosks, but are still not members of the Global Entry program.

A technicality maybe, but true. Nexus holders don't have status with GE, but they do have the privileged of using the kiosks.

Presently there are no cruise terminals which have Global Entry/Nexus/Trusted Traveler machines or procedures.
My husband and I have Global Entry. For those not familiar with this program, full details are here: http://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry

When we disembarked the Royal Princess yesterday (09/21/2015) in Port Everglades, we were greatly surprised to see a "Global Entry" banner above the immigration/customs booth on the far left side.

We asked whether this was really true and were told "Yes indeed; go this way". That let us bypass the huge line headed for the other booths. However, they did not have the machines for scanning your own passport, filling in the customs form and having your photo and fingerprints recorded.

When our passports were being checked, we asked whether this was a new procedure and were told it was being tried at Port Everglades on a trial basis.

I don't know how long the trial period will last but I can tell you firsthand that Global Entry was being used yesterday at Port Everglades.

Nope, but if you have the CPB sticker they waive you right through

Stickers stopped being issued years ago, and that WAVE (not "waive") you right through bit is a bit of misleading urban legend.

You use the kiosks to scan your passports -- after waiting for the people who do not have global entry to give up after trying to use it for several minutes in hopes to avoid standing in line.

My husband and I disembarked the Royal Princess yesterday (09/21/2015) in Port Everglades. At the time we left the ship, the disembarkation process was already over an hour behind schedule. We were told that the delay was due to several factors:

1. Only 6 CBP agents were on duty to process over 4,000 passengers and crew. (Because this was the first US port on our itinerary, every crew member had to clear immigration and customs.)

2. There was a medical emergency during disembarkation and priority was given to processing that person and his/her traveling companions.

By the time we left the the luggage area, the line for immigration and customs ran around one side of the baggage warehouse; the immigration and customs area was completely filled by an enormous line that was folded back and forth on itself at least six times.

Fortunately for us, Global Entry was being tested at Port Everglades and we were able to skip that long line (see previous post). However, we estimate that it would have taken at least another hour to reach the immigration/customs booths after collecting our luggage.

Stickers stopped being issued years ago, and that WAVE (not "waive") you right through bit is a bit of misleading urban legend.

You use the kiosks to scan your passports -- after waiting for the people who do not have global entry to give up after trying to use it for several minutes in hopes to avoid standing in line.

Not an urban legend, but has a historical backstory. In the beginning, you did get a sticker to put on the back of your passport (no cards issued). If the kiosks were down, I could use the crew line at passport control by "waving" my passport to show I had the sticker. Then, I could "wave" my passport, showing my sticker, at the Customs agent, bypassing the line there…I only did that twice - since then, the kiosks have worked fine.

When I first got mine I was issued a sticker as well.

I am excited to hear it might be coming to cruise ports. When this happens my children and grandchildren will be getting it. Well, anyone I'm traveling with will get it. I'm flying up to Vancouver in November to get my Nexus card too. YVR is always a long line especially if you get behind a flight from Asia so driving or flying I'll fastpass the longest lines.

When we disembarked the Royal Princess yesterday (09/21/2015) in Port Everglades, we were greatly surprised to see a "Global Entry" banner above the immigration/customs booth on the far left side.... I don't know how long the trial period will last but I can tell you firsthand that Global Entry was being used yesterday at Port Everglades.

Ooo boy, exciting! Thanks for this new news! :)

• 1 month later...
My husband and I have Global Entry. For those not familiar with this program, full details are here: http://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry

When we disembarked the Royal Princess yesterday (09/21/2015) in Port Everglades, we were greatly surprised to see a "Global Entry" banner above the immigration/customs booth on the far left side.

We asked whether this was really true and were told "Yes indeed; go this way". That let us bypass the huge line headed for the other booths. However, they did not have the machines for scanning your own passport, filling in the customs form and having your photo and fingerprints recorded.

When our passports were being checked, we asked whether this was a new procedure and were told it was being tried at Port Everglades on a trial basis.

I don't know how long the trial period will last but I can tell you firsthand that Global Entry was being used yesterday at Port Everglades.

This is fantastic news. Obviously, before others ask, this is at the main Princess Pier/Terminal #2, which I know will be the one for our upcoming B2B.