Mosquitos n Caribbean

Mermaid5

Hi ! Has any one recently come back from cruise taking in Isla Margarita, please? If so, did you go to La Restinga Lagoon and take the boat trip? We are there in February and like the idea of the excursion there but I always get bitten so wondering if any one experienced mosquitos? Thanks. Help and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for your reply . I had heard about the virus and it worries me . Really like the idea of seeing the Eco system at La Restinga lagoon but worried about the mosquitos in view of the Swamps . Will indeed get strong repellent for Caribbean

Anyone ever tried using a Thermacell on a cruise to keep mosquitos away? I have heard great things about them from my outdoorsman friends, but would it be more trouble than it is worth? I was thinking about using one in a Labadee Cabana, but not sure if it was needed or worth the effort.

We had a cabana on Labadee - in the suites area which is next to the regular area. Ours was over water and not a single mosquito. We did have a butterfly however that was intent on tangling with the ceiling fan. It would fly up there, get hit and knocked silly then fly up and get hit again and again. Not sure what it thought it was doing but it was interesting behavior to observe. Just a tip, arrive for the buffet lunch as soon as it opens as the line gets really long really fast. I don't know what the cabana boys don't deliver food there for bigger tips, but they don't.

We had a cabana on Labadee - in the suites area which is next to the regular area. Ours was over water and not a single mosquito.
Having stayed at a few Caribbean resorts and seeing their insect control procedures I expect that you'll see few mosquitos at a private beach like Labadee because they'll have done an eradication spraying shortly before your arrival. An excursion to the swamps would have a higher incidence of insects, particularly mosquitos.

What ship were you on to stop at Isla Margarita? We were there on Princess in 2006 and enjoyed he $15 pearls on the beach. Never had any bug bites. I have a very small spray bottle of bug repellant buy have never had to use it on cruises.I didn't know any ships going there now, would consider going back there.

I always take a tiny bottle of insect repellent with us, but so far have never seen a mosquito in the Caribbean, on multiple cruises there. It helps that we aren't on the islands in the early or late hours, and seldom in really dense wooded areas.

It never hurts to be prepared though.

We had a cabana on Labadee - in the suites area which is next to the regular area. Ours was over water and not a single mosquito. We did have a butterfly however that was intent on tangling with the ceiling fan. It would fly up there, get hit and knocked silly then fly up and get hit again and again. Not sure what it thought it was doing but it was interesting behavior to observe. Just a tip, arrive for the buffet lunch as soon as it opens as the line gets really long really fast. I don't know what the cabana boys don't deliver food there for bigger tips, but they don't.

Thanks for the reply. I will be on the lookout for your butterfly in a few weeks...

I just got back on Sat. prom a B2B on the Triumph. I got lots of bites, though I never actually saw any mosquitos. I'm thinking it was more sand fleas. Hard to know.

I didn't have any repellent, but I would suggest using it, if the bugs like you, like they do me. Another friend got bites also, while many that were with me did not.

I've never had issues with mosquitoes on cruises, even when wearing shorts and a T-shirt, and I'm practically a mosquito magnet. Three things were working in my favor: salt water, wind, and built-up urban areas. I suppose if I ventured inland into freshwater wetlands, I'd be seeing a lot more of them. But I haven't seen mosquitoes even on an Everglades excursion. So I don't know. Either way, I brought bug spray, and used it religiously.