Bringing Cigarettes Back to USA

not2old

Hello, Could someone who is familiar about bringing back cartons of cigarettes to the US answer a few questions? If the cartons are bought onboard the ship they advertise them as Duty Free. In speaking with others, they have said they bring back more than the allowed amount ie: 2 or more cartons per person. They do not add them on the Declaration Form. If they "get caught" they said they will " just pay the duty as it isn't much $$" If they purchased the cartons in a duty free shop, do they still get charged?

We have always been honest with the Custom agents if we bring extra liquor back and usually they just smile and wave us through. Does it work the same as with tobacco? BTW, the above mentioned folks are my adult step daughter and her husband, are we going to eventually have to visit them in prison??

No one is going to jail! You may have to pay duty on cigarettes over the amount allowed...that's all. Some ports (Galveston for sure) will charge state tax on ANY duty free cigarettes brought in to the country.

You are only allowed one carton per person, period!!! If they find more then that they will destroy them..We had 3 cartons left after our cruise, so we put one carton in each bag, and put a few packs in each of our purses. We did declare that we bought them on customs form...We figured even if they destroyed a few packs, we still came out way ahead on price..I have heard stories about trash cans full of destroyed cigs, but did not seen it on my 2 cruises...

Duty Free in a shop on the ship on on shore did not pay duty on the items, therefore claiming to sell to you at a bargain price. But that does not mean that they are not dutiable items when you bring them into the US. It will help to read much of the information on this site:

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/know-before-you-go

EM

...In speaking with others, they have said they bring back more than the allowed amount ie: 2 or more cartons per person. They do not add them on the Declaration Form. If they "get caught" they said they will " just pay the duty as it isn't much $$" If they purchased the cartons in a duty free shop, do they still get charged?

If the cigarettes are not declared and you "get caught", the cigarettes will be seized. You will then have to pay taxes, duties and a fine to get them back. Once you fail to declare the goods, you lose the right to "just" pay duty, as the fees and fines will be substantially higher. In addition, you will also now be the proud owner of a record of having not declared an item at a border crossing (i.e., smuggling), a record that will be revealed every time that you cross a border and will most certainly cause you future problems.

One thing that can happen if you don't declare everything is you can be denied a Global Entry card in the future. When a friend applied last year, he was denied because he brought an apple from Mexico back to the US. The apple incident happened 10 years prior.

Guess I was lucky on our Caribbean cruise to Puerto Rico, St. Martin & St. Thomas. I bought a package of 5 cartons on the ship (duty free). I declared them on the duty form. The man looked at my card and just waived me on through. I didn't have to pay any duty, tax, or fine.

On the other side of the pond in England, I had packed 2 cartons of my own cigarettes before leaving home. Fortunately I smoked a brand that wasn't known Worldwide (Saratoga). The gal checking my suitcase almost threw them away, but the guy working beside her said let them go as my husband and I were allowed 1 carton each.

On my last trip to the Med, upon returning to the US after 3 weeks in Europe, the guy was really doubtful that I only declared my $800 in purchases. He asked me about 4 times if I was sure that was the amount I had spent. Fortunately I had receipts for my purchases (in an envelope) and handed them to him, but he finally accepted my card and stamped and disgustedly waved me on through.

So it really depends on the person doing the checking. I would always be truthful.

If the cruise stops in the US Virgins Islands, the allowance goes up to 5 cartons per person. You are not allowed to bring back more than the allowance.

Just to clarify, you are allowed 1 carton (200 cigs) from anywhere per person. If purchased in US Virgin Islands then an additional 4 cartons (800 cigs) are allowed duty free per person. Purchasing all 5 cartons on the ship per person would not qualify technically and duty should be required in that scenario.

I also do not agree with the statement that a person cannot bring back more than their allowance. They can, and just have to pay duty / taxes for their purchase(s) assuming they declared them in the first place.

Edited by Foosguy

Hello, Could someone who is familiar about bringing back cartons of cigarettes to the US answer a few questions? If the cartons are bought onboard the ship they advertise them as Duty Free. In speaking with others, they have said they bring back more than the allowed amount ie: 2 or more cartons per person. They do not add them on the Declaration Form. If they "get caught" they said they will " just pay the duty as it isn't much $$" If they purchased the cartons in a duty free shop, do they still get charged?

We have always been honest with the Custom agents if we bring extra liquor back and usually they just smile and wave us through. Does it work the same as with tobacco? BTW, the above mentioned folks are my adult step daughter and her husband, are we going to eventually have to visit them in prison??

Tobacco products are treated differently than alcohol. Any amount over teh limit is subject to confiscation, there is no duty to that can be paid. The limit is 200 cigarettes per person. The fact that the ships sell larger bundles than that has nothing to do with what you can bring home. The "duty free" designation means that the ship did not pay duty on the goods, it has nothing to do with whether or not a passenger has to pay duty on goods that they bring into the country.

There is a LOT of incorrect information in this thread. If you are a smoker or are bringing tobacco products back to the US for friends, you need to read the CBP web site concerning ho0w much you can bring back and whether you pay a duty or are required to forfeit them.

Why take risks with CBP? Declare what you purchase. Who needs to get in trouble over a carton of cigarettes!

Exactly!

The inspector could see the 5 cartons were packaged together in a box and I carried it in the ship bag as it was handed to me when I left the ship (they held them for the time we were on the ship, so couldn't smoke them ahead of debarking).

Just to clarify, you are allowed 1 carton (200 cigs) from anywhere per person. If purchased in US Virgin Islands then an additional 4 cartons (800 cigs) are allowed duty free per person. Purchasing all 5 cartons on the ship per person would not qualify technically and duty should be required in that scenario.

I also do not agree with the statement that a person cannot bring back more than their allowance. They can, and just have to pay duty / taxes for their purchase(s) assuming they declared them in the first place.

If the ship was in St. Thomas when I made the purchase, would that technically mean I bought them in St. Thomas and possibly be marked in some way that the agent would see that? As I definitely had a box with 5 cartons in it in the ships bag, but I don't remember if it was marked where I actually purchased them.

St. Thomas is an exception and while I don't smoke, I think you are permitted to bring 5 cartons of cigarettes if they have been purchased in St. Thomas (U.S.V.I.)

Despite they may be permitted, be sure to declare them.

I don't know what you mean if the ship was in St. Thomas when you purchased them. Ship's stores are closed when the ship is in port. You either purchased them ashore in St. Thomas or you did not. A sales slip from either ship or shore side store clearly is your proof.

Edited by sail7seas

St. Thomas is an exception and while I don't smoke, I think you are permitted to bring 5 cartons of cigarettes if they have been purchased in St. Thomas (U.S.V.I.)

Despite they may be permitted, be sure to declare them.

I don't know what you mean if the ship was in St. Thomas when you purchased them. Ship's stores are closed when the ship is in port. You either purchased them ashore in St. Thomas or you did not. A sales slip from either ship or shore side store clearly is your proof.

Thanks for the info, you are correct that the shops are closed in port, I forgot that momentarily. I bought them on the ship as I was surprised they held them and I couldn't take the purchase to my cabin. They were given back to me as we debarked the ship still all packaged up, I never even opened them until I got home. I carried them on the plane as my carry on.

And yes, I always declare any purchases on the card. It's definitely not worth the hassle or fines if caught not doing so.