Passport requirement for Port of Maputo Mozambique

dands154

I will be coming into Maputo, Mozambique for ONE day only via cruise ship. As we do not have an embassy in Australia that issue visas for this destination, the cruise line organises this for us, on arrival. No-one has been able to tell me what my passport requires for a ship arrival. I have more than the six month validity but will only have two (not consecutive) blank pages left in my passport, by the time I arrive in Mozambique. Has anyone out there arrived by ship, where the ship has organised their visa, and can tell me what exactly went into their passport eg. official stamps, large visa requiring whole page etc? Thanks.

David & Sandie, I have been to Mozambique twice including earlier this year.

Let me recommend that you speak with a visa service in your country to see what they say to be on the safe side on this.

Also are you stopping at other ports because please keep in mind if you are that even if visas are not needed many will be stamping your passport.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

Prior to Maputo we are in Singapore, Phuket, and then Chennai, India where we need a visa, then after Maputu, it is into South Africa. We will also go via Maldives, Mauritius, Seychelles and Reunion Is. Maybe I need to get a new passport with only 3 to 4 pages left.

We will cruising the east coast of Africa, including South Africa, soon. While US citizens do not require a visa, this notice was part of our document information:

South African immigration REQUIRES that you have a minimum of TWO FACING AND COMPLETELY BLANK visa pages in your passport at the time of entry. Note that these cannot be the pages reserved for amendments and endorsements at the back of your passport.

My guess (only a guess) is that this requirement would be applicable to visitors from countries other than the US. There is anecdotal evidence of US airlines refusing to board passengers on flights to South Africa who did not have enough blank pages in their passports. SA is strict on this requirement.

Personally, I would get the new passport.

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate your input. Aussie passports cannot have pages added unfortunately. It is just a little frustrating when there is significant time left on the passport but not enough pages. That means we are lucky enough to be able to travel, so no complaints here. It is obviously not worth the risk so I will apply for a new passport tomorrow.

Cheers from 'Down Under'

I've looked it up at work using the Timatic, a book used to determine needed travel documents for all destinations and nationalities. The response was the following:

Passport

Passport required.

Document Validity:

Passports and other documents accepted for entry must be valid on arrival.

Visa

Visa required.

Visa Issuance:

Nationals of Australia can obtain a visa on arrival for a max. stay of 30 days at Beira (BEW), Nampula (APL), Maputo (MPM), Pemba (POL), Tete (TET) and Vilankulo (VNX) if holding a return/onward ticket , sufficient funds to support their stay and proof of purpose of visit. Extension of a further 30 days is possible. Fee: USD 66.-.

Additional Information:

Visitors are required to hold proof of sufficient funds to cover their stay and documents required for their next destination.

Warning:

Visitors not holding return/onward tickets could be refused entry.

So, to sum it up, you need a passport which needs to be valid on arrival and a visa which you will need before sailing, imo. As you can see, a visa on arrival can only be obtained at select airport and not cruise ports.

Edited by headhunterke