tipping in sky suite

dina8ken

What cruise line is Equinox?

Does your cruise line have automatic tipping charged against your on board account?

Are Concierge and Butler included in that tipping?

I always tip over and above if the service is over and above and it usually is but that is your choice. Most people tip their Butlers according to how much they have asked of them... same for concierge.

Edited by sail7seas

Equinox is Celebrity. yes I paid pre tipping, but it only includes cabin steward and servers. So I will need to probably give my steward a little more, cuz I'm sure he will be amazing! and then i'll need to tip the butler and the concierge, I was hoping their was a guideline per person per day.

Equinox is Celebrity. yes I paid pre tipping, but it only includes cabin steward and servers. So I will need to probably give my steward a little more, cuz I'm sure he will be amazing! and then i'll need to tip the butler and the concierge, I was hoping their was a guideline per person per day.

Tipping is included in your suite for the butler.

Our experience with Celebrity is that the butlers have been wonderful so often we provide an additional tip either in cash or on our shipboard account towards the end of the cruise for this butler.

This is from the Celebrity site.

How are gratuities handled onboard?

For your convenience, we automatically add gratuities for your restaurant and stateroom services to your onboard SeaPass® account on a daily basis in the following amounts, which may be adjusted at your discretion:

• $12.95 per person, per day in standard staterooms

• $13.45 per person, per day in Concierge Class and AquaClass® staterooms

• $16.45 per person, per day in Suite Class

This gratuity is shared by your Dining & Culinary Services Staff, Stateroom Attendants, Other Housekeeping Services Personnel, as well as staff from other departments who work behind the scenes to enhance your cruise experience.

At your discretion, the gratuity payments may be adjusted onboard at Guest Relations, in which case they will not automatically be added to your onboard SeaPass® account.

An 18% gratuity will be automatically added to all beverages, mini bar purchases, spa and salon services. Additional gratuities may be added at your discretion.

Keith

I sailed this summer on NCL in a Penthouse and it was my understanding my butler was not included in the automatic tip. I tipped him separately but even if he had been included, I would have tipped him more anyway.

I sailed this summer on NCL in a Penthouse and it was my understanding my butler was not included in the automatic tip. I tipped him separately but even if he had been included, I would have tipped him more anyway.

Good to know but the original poster was not asking about NCL but rather Celebrity. :)

Keith

Good to know but the original poster was not asking about NCL but rather Celebrity. :)

Keith

I only skimmed your listing of what is included in the automatic tipping and saw no specific mention of Butler. I thought it could be helpful for people cruising in cabins with butlers to get one opinion (certainly many would be better) of how to handle tipping the butler.

Edited by sail7seas

The first sentence in my post said tipping is included for butler.

The key is the OP was asking about Celebrity.

Keith

To me, it is unclear the way you posted tipping is included for the butler. Did you write that or did Celebrity as part of the rest of the information you quoted from Celebrity? Just because it might be your opinion tipping is included for butler, it isn't clear to me Celebrity says that.

I read that first sentence and saw no quote indications and concluded you were making that statement.

The listing that follows seems to be from Celebrity.

See what I mean?

Edited by sail7seas

If you pre-paid your tips, the tip for the butler is included in that amount. We cruised Equinox in the Penthouse, and the daily amount charged DID include the butler----as you can see from the increasing scale for the auto tips that Keith posted, the highest amount for the suite class includes Butlers. If the Concierge in Michael's Club does something for you personally, you can tip that person in cash at the end of the cruise. What you tip is entirely up to you, and no one can tell you how much to give----it's a personal matter. Your cabin steward tip is also included, but if he/she goes beyond what's normally part of their job, you can give extra. But be aware, any cash tip you give to waiters/cabin stewards must be turned in, and put into a cash pool for everyone.

Edited by kitty9

To me, it is unclear the way you posted tipping is included for the butler. Did you write that or did Celebrity as part of the rest of the information you quoted from Celebrity? Just because it might be your opinion tipping is included for butler, it isn't clear to me Celebrity says that.

I read that first sentence and saw no quote indications and concluded you were making that statement.

The listing that follows seems to be from Celebrity.

See what I mean?

Sorry, but no.

The original poster asked about a ship that is part of the Celebrity fleet and that was clarified in another post.

And this is what I went on to say. Very easy to understand.

Sorry if you didn't get it. Again, NCL has nothing to do with Celebrity.

My original response.

Tipping is included in your suite for the butler.

Our experience with Celebrity is that the butlers have been wonderful so often we provide an additional tip either in cash or on our shipboard account towards the end of the cruise for this butler.

This is from the Celebrity site.

How are gratuities handled onboard?

For your convenience, we automatically add gratuities for your restaurant and stateroom services to your onboard SeaPass® account on a daily basis in the following amounts, which may be adjusted at your discretion:

• $12.95 per person, per day in standard staterooms

• $13.45 per person, per day in Concierge Class and AquaClass® staterooms

• $16.45 per person, per day in Suite Class

This gratuity is shared by your Dining & Culinary Services Staff, Stateroom Attendants, Other Housekeeping Services Personnel, as well as staff from other departments who work behind the scenes to enhance your cruise experience.

At your discretion, the gratuity payments may be adjusted onboard at Guest Relations, in which case they will not automatically be added to your onboard SeaPass® account.

An 18% gratuity will be automatically added to all beverages, mini bar purchases, spa and salon services. Additional gratuities may be added at your discretion.

Keith

On Celebrity, pre-paid gratuities for suites do include the butler. Period.

For the sake of the current discussion on this thread, NCL is not like most other cruise lines. They charge extra for everything, including the way they don't include gratuities in many things. That's why they have the reputation they do for being the worst nickel and dime line.