Sailing in 21 days....some questions

Pebbles4444

Heading off on what will be my third cruise, second cruise for most of my family and first cruise for my 3 year old. Most of the stuff we need to bring is simply common sense, but have some questions still about other things.

We are setting sail on RC Enchantment of the Seas. I have already submitted the special needs request for my son with Autism, and received back the response. Can anyone tell me what their definition of "expedited embarkation and de-embarkation" means? On Carnival it meant that we went straight to the counter to check in, and then boarded right after the folks renting the suites or higher member status folks did, but before everyone else did. And we got to choose whether or not to get off early or with the other folks in our de-embarkation group according to staterooms.

My three year old is not toilet trained yet, much to my consternation, and still wears swim diapers. I know she can not go into the pool, but what about the splash pad area? Does anyone know if they allow swim diapers there?

My husband and middle daughter both suffer from motion sickness and didn't enjoy the last cruise as much as the oldest daughter, son and myself did. We are trying to find a treatment that works but doesn't make them sleepy. So far we have tried ginger pills, candied ginger, Dramamine, Bonine and MotionEaze (essential oils). Hubby will be trying patches this time, but daughter is only 10 so the doctor isn't willing to prescribe anything. Does anyone have any other suggestions for a child who is small for her age?

Thanks!

Our daughter when she was that age took Bonine and it worked well for her. You said you've tired it. Has she?

For your question about the pool I would ask this on the RCI Board.

Keith

I should have been more clear, sorry. I don't suffer from motion sickness, only my husband and daughter do. She is the one who took the Bonine and she said it didn't make her feel any better. But she is my child who gets violently ill in a car if she doesn't sit next to a window with it down, no matter the time of year, if we are going to be driving for more than 20 minutes. Normally I give her Dramamine because it puts her to sleep. But she can't enjoy the cruise if she is sleeping or wanting to be in bed the entire time.

Have you asked her doctor what she should take to prevent her being sea sick? Ask what she can eat to help her. I understand apples and saltines help prevent seasickness but I don't get seasick so maybe some one here can give other foods to help.

RCCL has great water parks for the kids. I don't know about Enchantment of he Seas but there will be water falling down, shooting up and just water all over the floor of the water park. They may have their own pools and hot tubs- ask before she gets in a pool.

Your three year old will love it there.

RCCL has a wonderful program for kids with autism but this program is advertised so kids with autism are on a particular cruise and they have group activities. Your daughter should be fine in their kid's program. However, you may have to come to change her diaper.

Edited by Bonnie J.

Have you tried Sea Bands? This uses acupressure to prevent seasickness, so no sleepy side effects:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=kid+sea+bands&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=87257802785&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12957848165802807000&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_17jhhosqj8_b

Another natural remedy is, have your child lie down, then place a bag of ice or ice cold can drink on the front of her neck. This will instantly stop the feeling of wanting to vomit and can be taken away and then placed on her neck again and again as needed. Generally if a person is seasick, lying down and remaining in bed will help. So your daughter may need to remain in bed when there is rough water. She might do much better on a Caribbean cruise on a Mega Ship as the water is usually calm and you generally can't feel too much motion on the Mega Ships - do get a cabin located in the middle of the ship to minimize motion. Also, it helps to avoid the back of the ship where vibration can be felt - which can also cause motion sickness.

The Mega ships are:

RCCL

Allure,

Oasis

Anthem

Quantum

Ovation

Harmony

NCL

Epic

Escape

Getaway