Is the Epic freestly sundeck nude/toplesss?

Rmunson72906

hi all,

our group is booked on the nov. 12th e. caribe sailing. we are all very excited to go, espeically after reading don's excellent review. and we are all doing our own research, cruise critic, you tube etc.

my friend recently brought it to my attention that he thinks the freesytly sundeck is a nude one and that there is a strip show on the ship????:eek:

just wondering if anyone had any answers about either of these things or if my friend is crazy or just misunderstood something. He is determinded he's right, and determined to try it out(hey to each his own right)

thanks

hi all,

our group is booked on the nov. 12th e. caribe sailing. we are all very excited to go, espeically after reading don's excellent review. and we are all doing our own research, cruise critic, you tube etc.

my friend recently brought it to my attention that he thinks the freesytly sundeck is a nude one and that there is a strip show on the ship????:eek:

just wondering if anyone had any answers about either of these things or if my friend is crazy or just misunderstood something. He is determinded he's right, and determined to try it out(hey to each his own right)

thanks

Don't know where he heard about the strip show...no such thing.

As for the "freestyle" sun deck, I don't believe total nudity is allowed. Topless maybe, but not nude.

Of course, it's very possible that the rules, and the shows, are different on Epic's European cruise routes (as opposed to U.S./Caribbean routes) since attitudes about these things are much more relaxed in most of Europe.

Both seem to have been taken totally out of context. The clothing optional deck is very small and isolated from what I can tell. Seems like you'd have to really be trying to go to that area in order to be exposed to it. Do you really think an American-based cruise line would have a huge clothing optional area that everyone would be forced to encounter? And the strip show thing I'm guessing was taken from Don's review. Sounds like it was a little risque and was not commonplace, but I highly doubt it was a strip show.

Use some common sense.

The freestyle deck is located at the top of a flight of stairs and is a rather small area designed for freestyle sunbathing. We checked it out on the initial day while still in port. It was empty. My friend laid out up there later on a sea day and he said there were a few people up there, but none were topless or nude. But there aren't any signs that identify what you can (or can't wear). So venture up there at your own risk.

The "strip show" featured the "Shippendale Dancers", if I recall and consisted of 3 or 4 crew members doing some dancing and clothing removal down to their boxers/boxer briefs (quickly). Even the cruise director did his part. It was intended more as a comic burlesque more than a sex-oriented show.

ok thats what i originally thought. I can't wait to tell him he's wrong about it after arguing for 2 straight days. And no i didnt believe the strip show part pretty much at all, i just threw that question in there to triple check. as far as the sundeck question, it was just a question as i have never cruised ncl, and therefore have no idea what they do and dont allow, not like we booked our cruise based on that myth lol. just curious thanks for some helpful answers

ok thats what i originally thought. I can't wait to tell him he's wrong about it after arguing for 2 straight days. And no i didnt believe the strip show part pretty much at all, i just threw that question in there to triple check. as far as the sundeck question, it was just a question as i have never cruised ncl, and therefore have no idea what they do and dont allow, not like we booked our cruise based on that myth lol. just curious thanks for some helpful answers

Hope you wagered some money on this.:D

The Freestyle Sundeck is topless allowed, not full nudity. However, there have been reports that on some cruises it is treated as a fully clothing-optional sundeck. We've only ever had it be topless optional for women...good enough for me as I'm not into full nudity except in the presence of my DH, my doctor, or my sisters.

Strip show? Not a chance. There are a few shows for adults that have risque content, but nothing like a strip show. I can't vouch for what some people might do on deck if they've had too much to drink and are feeling "relaxed." That kind of thing is more likely to happen on short spring break cruises with many college-aged passengers onboard.

beachchick

The Freestyle Sundeck is topless allowed, not full nudity.

beachchick

How do you know that? I have never heard about this.

I have to admit that I went top less once on this deck (must be my French origins) but I thought total nudity was allowed. But unfortunately some people go there and stay fully clothed (not even in bathing suit) for sailaway or other reasons (I could see them standing at the railing). The only time I went there to sunbath, it was completely empty and decided to remove my top but then I had a bad experience.

The way I had positioned my chair, only someone in the chair just beside me could have ''peek'' and this is fair game I guess but I felt asleep and when I woke up there was a very weird guy sitting on the other chair, fully turned in my direction and that was literrally staring at my breasts (and it's not because I have much, I wear A-Bras and at the time I think it was AA!!!).

When he saw me open my eyes, he said something like ''you are so beautiful'' and ''can I touch''. I am not 100% sure but I think this guy might have had some type of brain problem by the way he was talking. Of course, I was already putting back my top and replied 'No" but still, IMHO, I don't think people should stare like that and make comments about one anatomy!!!

Don't ask me why, but I attract this type of weirdos and I am really just a normal girl, far from a top-modal and far from being what most people find sexy. OK, that time I was topless but once when I lived in New Brunswick, I was just walking on the street on a very hot day (fully dressed and nothing too sexy) and one man in joggings and without his shirt asked me something very low. I said ''What?'' and he said again ''Do you mind if I walk with you and masturbate... and doing some move towards down-there this time as he said it''. I replied ''YES and added... I mind'' (remember, his question was ''do you mind...''). Then I went to the police station nearby to report him since I think this is offensive and if he said that to a very young girl or to a woman who has had sexual assault in the past, it could really affect them.

How do you know that? I have never heard about this.

I have to admit that I went top less once on this deck (must be my French origins) but I thought total nudity was allowed. But unfortunately some people go there and stay fully clothed (not even in bathing suit) for sailaway or other reasons (I could see them standing at the railing). The only time I went there to sunbath, it was completely empty and decided to remove my top but then I had a bad experience.

The way I had positioned my chair, only someone in the chair just beside me could have ''peek'' and this is fair game I guess but I felt asleep and when I woke up there was a very weird guy sitting on the other chair, fully turned in my direction and that was literrally staring at my breasts (and it's not because I have much, I wear A-Bras and at the time I think it was AA!!!).

When he saw me open my eyes, he said something like ''you are so beautiful'' and ''can I touch''. I am not 100% sure but I think this guy might have had some type of brain problem by the way he was talking. Of course, I was already putting back my top and replied 'No" but still, IMHO, I don't think people should stare like that and make comments about one anatomy!!!

Don't ask me why, but I attract this type of weirdos and I am really just a normal girl, far from a top-modal and far from being what most people find sexy. OK, that time I was topless but once when I lived in New Brunswick, I was just walking on the street on a very hot day (fully dressed and nothing too sexy) and one man in joggings and without his shirt asked me something very low. I said ''What?'' and he said again ''Do you mind if I walk with you and masturbate... and doing some move towards down-there this time as he said it''. I replied ''YES and added... I mind'' (remember, his question was ''do you mind...''). Then I went to the police station nearby to report him since I think this is offensive and if he said that to a very young girl or to a woman who has had sexual assault in the past, it could really affect them.

I should have said "in the past" the Freestyle Sundecks have been topless, not full nudity, most of the time. I know that some itineraries it's always been full nudity optional, but I don't know specifically which ones. For all I know, these days all Freestyle Sundecks are full nudity optional. That would be fine by us; I'll still be topless only, but we've been to plenty of clothing optional beaches/resorts and enjoy them very much.

I'm so sorry to hear about your horrid experiences. Sadly, too many people, many of them from the US, think topless sunbathing = sex party or strip club. It's amazing how incredibly rude, clueless, and even creepy some people can be. Yuck! I'm glad you reported it.

I'm afraid I never sunbathe topless alone precisely because of that kind of immature and inappropriate behavior. You're right about how many passengers go to the Freestyle Sundeck and remain fully clothed. Now, I'm aware that they can and that it's optional and all, but it's also a very small deck and the only place (besides cabin/suite balconies) to sunbathe au naturale. Those who wish to remain clothed/swimsuited have numerous other options. It's not like a large beach with plenty of room for all.

Anyway, you're correct that I don't know the current Freestyle Sundeck standards. I only know what they were a couple of years on our last NCL cruise.

beachchick

p.s. (and I hope this doesn't sound, I don't know, forward or creepy): My hubby is a normal heterosexual male who enjoys seeing a variety of "scenery." He never leers or stares or anything other than a passing glance and a smile. I am certain he finds AA cups as nice to glance at as DDs. It's not the size, but rather the woman and her confidence that seems most attractive.

The "Full Monty" was being performed on a recent sailing of the Epic. While not impossible, it would be most unlikely to simply stumble upon the freestyle deck. Yes, an occasional sightseer visits, but folks seem to police the situation well enough. It really is not a big problem. You should be able to relax and enjoy.

Wow, you lot across the pond really are as reserved as the rumours. On my previous cruises on Brit ships the whole top sun deck was the topless one and a good 1 in every 3 women often did.

Of course the mainly young boys often made excuses to walk the deck :D

Will be interesting how Epic handles that if there are also large amounts of Europeans onboard.

hi all,

thanks

No way! I wouldn't have missed that:D

I'm not sure about on the Epic, but on the Dawn the very top deck was clothing optional. I was 9 at the time and was exploring alone, and wanted to get a good view so I just kept going up stairs as high as I could go. Well I walked up one set of stairs and was met by many topless women. it so shocking to me as I was only 9. I'm sure my opinion would be different now of course;). One non-topless woman told me that this deck was adults only and ushered me back downstairs. i remember this so vivdly and chuckle everytime I see a post about topless decks.

As far as the Epic goes, the only place i think would be suitable for topless sunbathing is the very front sundeck on deck 18 or 19 that is apart of the suite complex. I was up there a vew times during the day and very very few people were up there during sea and port days. Other sundecks are around the pool and around the main pool with high traffic.

Here is the freestyle deck. Clothing is optional. It's at the top of a set of stairs and clearly labeled.

To the poster who found the freak staring at her, I'm sorry you had to deal with that. People like that should have been tossed off the 19th deck into the ocean.

1616-vi.jpg

• 4 months later...

As of February 2010 on the Jewel and Pearl, the sign that read Clothing Optional has been removed but the FreeStyle Sundeck sign is still there.

At one time Jewel Class ships had Clothing Optional Sun deck areas "Norwegian Jewel • Norwegian Jade • Norwegian Pearl • Norwegian Gem" this was the afore mentioned "Freestyle Sundeck". This was reported to me by NCL. At a later time this had been changed, at least when the ships are sailing out of U.S. ports. NCL people from the Epic reported also that this was not the case for its new Freestyle sundeck... They did say that European sailings might be different. I assume, too many people complained about the existence of a C.O. area on the ship. In addition, they may have had problems with inappropriate behavior. That said, they sell tan through suits and the Epic does stop in St. Martin, where there are several places where it is permitted to go Au Naturel... My favorite is Orient Beach on the French side...

All of my information is recent, as of 2010, and verified visually.

If there is a C.O. area on the Epic, I will post new information after my 2 week cruise in February 2012...

As of February 2010 on the Jewel and Pearl, the sign that read Clothing Optional has been removed but the FreeStyle Sundeck sign is still there.

At one time Jewel Class ships had Clothing Optional Sun deck areas "Norwegian Jewel • Norwegian Jade • Norwegian Pearl • Norwegian Gem" this was the afore mentioned "Freestyle Sundeck". This was reported to me by NCL. At a later time this had been changed, at least when the ships are sailing out of U.S. ports. NCL people from the Epic reported also that this was not the case for its new Freestyle sundeck... They did say that European sailings might be different. I assume, too many people complained about the existence of a C.O. area on the ship. In addition, they may have had problems with inappropriate behavior. That said, they sell tan through suits and the Epic does stop in St. Martin, where there are several places where it is permitted to go Au Naturel... My favorite is Orient Beach on the French side...

All of my information is recent, as of 2010, and verified visually.

If there is a C.O. area on the Epic, I will post new information after my 2 week cruise in February 2012...

This is so sad if they've given into that kind of thinking. That the very existence of a small, not easily visible deck for C/O sunbathing would offend people so much that they'd complain. It's not as if they're required to go there! That would be like a non-drinker or someone who believes gambling is offensive saying that no one should be even allowed the chance to do those things. And we've seen inappropriate behavior all over ships, clothed or not, it's the same thing.

Bummer.:(

beachchick

hi all,

thanks

The "strip show" featured the "Shippendale Dancers", if I recall and consisted of 3 or 4 crew members doing some dancing and clothing removal down to their boxers/boxer briefs (quickly). Even the cruise director did his part. It was intended more as a comic burlesque more than a sex-oriented show.

Strip show? Not a chance. There are a few shows for adults that have risque content, but nothing like a strip show. I can't vouch for what some people might do on deck if they've had too much to drink and are feeling "relaxed." That kind of thing is more likely to happen on short spring break cruises with many college-aged passengers onboard.

beachchick

The "show" is called the All Access VIP Experience. This link (along with others) was posted on a recent thread. I will let you determine if this is considered a strip show.

Good grief. I can't believe Americans (and I am one) are still so puritanical. Here is my take on this: If you don't like clothing optional, by all means keep your clothes on and stay on the clothed area which covers 99.99999% of the ship. If you don't like gambling, by all means don't gamble. If you don't like alcohol, by all means don't drink. If you don't like gay marriage, by all means feel free not to marry a gay person. Etc etc etc..... Frankly I'd rather be next to a naked person than one who is blowing smoke in my face! Have a great cruise everyone and as long as others are not hurting you, let them have a great cruise as well!! LOL :)

Just on the Epic July 31st, and while I never made it onto this deck, my German friend went up there and he was disappointed that it was topless only the day he visited. Not sure about the other 6 days though...

Enjoy the Epic, she was the most fun ship I've been on!

Liz

The "show" is called the All Access VIP Experience. This link (along with others) was posted on a recent thread. I will let you determine if this is considered a strip show.

:p Oh my, oh my. That's not paraticularly, um, sexy. Never had a strip show on NCL, but it obviously does happen these days.

beachchick

• 2 months later...

I was on the Epic October 16-23 in the western Med and made it a point to find out where this deck was. My first day up there, there was a crew member collecting drink glasses and I asked him point-blank if the deck was clothing-optional and he confirmed that indeed it was.

It's a small area, with only 16 lounge chairs. During my cruise, the few times I was able to get up there, the most people that were up there were 8. It was obvious that many people aren't aware of what "freestyle sundeck" means as was evidenced by the startled looks followed by repeated back glances over the shoulder as they left the deck. But no one up there seemed to care. The few times I was up there, there was a mix of people, clothed, topless, and nude. Maybe it was because it was a European cruise, but no one cared about what state of dress or undress someone else was in.

If you're interested in nude sunbathing, know that there definitely is a place for you to indulge other than just on your stateroom balcony. Buono Viaggio!!

Archived