6 PM Traditional Dinning on Regal

geocruiser

We have been confirmed for 6PM traditional dinning on our last 3 regal cruises. But we never get it once on board the ship. It is either 5:30 or 5:45.

On our Jan cruise I ask about this to the hostess who is at the door of the dinning room. I was told that there is no 6PM traditional dinning on board Regal.

We are leaving Sunday on Regal again and have 6PM traditional dinning. So, I don't know what will happen this time.

My question to all of you, who have sailed on Regal is: Is there a 6PM fixed traditional dinning time?

We have been confirmed for 6PM traditional dinning on our last 3 regal cruises. But we never get it once on board the ship. It is either 5:30 or 5:45.

On our Jan cruise I ask about this to the hostess who is at the door of the dinning room. I was told that there is no 6PM traditional dinning on board Regal.

We are leaving Sunday on Regal again and have 6PM traditional dinning. So, I don't know what will happen this time.

My question to all of you, who have sailed on Regal is: Is there a 6PM fixed traditional dinning time?

They do this on all the ships. The "time" you are assigned can be anything from 5-ish to 6-ish. I do find it annoying, too. The same holds for the late seating. It says 8, but it can be 7:30 to later than 8. Don't ask me why they do this.

When we were on they had a 5:30 and a 6:00 pm.

We did the same thing on our Ruby cruise last month. Picked the 6pm dining time. Dining time was actually at 5:30pm as we found out when we boarded. We mentioned this to the Head Waiter and he explained that the 6pm time may happen on an European cruise, but, not on the American based cruises. Pretty disappointing to us. We really would have liked a 6pm dining time. Oh well, the food was good no matter the time. :D

Thanks for your answers. I just wish that Princess would have the right dinning times on the web site. We are all so going on Royal in March and we now have 5:30 dinning with a wait listed for 6PM. Seems crazy to do if there is no 6PM dinning.

Thanks for your answers. I just wish that Princess would have the right dinning times on the web site. We are all so going on Royal in March and we now have 5:30 dinning with a wait listed for 6PM. Seems crazy to do if there is no 6PM dinning.

Oh no! That sucks! We haven't done traditional is so long, but were looking forward to 6 PM dinner. Sucks it might be earlier.

Oh well....

The 6 PM would be the normal** traditional early seating time. The 5:30 would be the "overflow" that get an earlier time in what is normally an Anytime dining room.

** The Princess web site will give a nominal time which may or may not turn out to be the actual time. HQ has no idea months in advance of a voyage what the traditional times will actually be as those times will be determined by the management on the ship at the time of sailing.

We usually have late traditional. On one B2B the "nominal" time listed was 8 PM. Reality turned out to be that on the first segment it was at 7:45 PM and on the second segment it was at 8:15 PM.

We chose 6:00. When onboard the time said 5:45. We showed up at 6 most nights.

We are always a table for two and when we asked our server if it would mess up his other tables if we arrived at 6, he said absolutely not. In fact, when we told him we were never in a hurry and enjoyed not being rushed, he just worked us in.

BUT..I wouldn't try this if eating at a larger table. Or if we expected fast course changes. That could mess up other people at the table.

Edited by eandj

This has been a problem for the past 3 or 4 years. I've talked to Passenger Services, I've complained to the CC rep., and I've talked to the maitre d' and head waiters. All of them have told me that it is a "corporate decision", and they're powerless to change it. I also add it to my post cruise review every time.

I don't like eating dinner at 5:30 or 5:45; it's too early, but we love td so we live with it.

We were on the Regal this January from the 10 to 24th. On our personalizer it said we had 6:00 confirmed traditional dining. When we checked in, our cruise card said 5:45. Doors opened at 5:30 and everyone was heading in at that time. The first night we got there around 5:55 (thinking the doors would open at 6:00) and felt like we were late.

Today I disembarked the Crown. Same issue. I went to the Matte "D and asked for a 6PM reservation in anytime because traditional at 5:30 was unacceptable. This happened last month also. He said they knew the info was wrong but Princess Corp won't fix it on the web site. He said to just come at 6 PM which we did. We told our table-mates we'd be coming at 6 and they were fine with it and started coming late too. When you're in port and come back in the afternoon and have a 1-2 PM lunch then dinner is too early. We also couldn't have enjoyed the Elite/Suite happy hour from 5 -7 if we had 5:30 dinner.

BUT..I wouldn't try this if eating at a larger table. Or if we expected fast course changes. That could mess up other people at the table.

Actually it would cause Princess to pay attention to the disparity. We had a table for 8 and came at 5:55 every night. We did make everyone aware on night one why we were coming ON TIME to our confirmed reservation.

Edited by cruzsnooze

We are sailing on the Regal in April and are booked at the 5:30 dinner and wait-listed for the 6:00. There is also 8:15 but for some that may be to late.

As others have experienced on various ships, what the time is on the personalizer may or may not be the actual time you find on your cruise card when you board. 5:30 could be 5:15, or 6 could be 5:45. 8:15 could be 7:45. The choice of time they give you on the personalizer is deceptive, and I don't see any way around it. We usually opt for late seating since some of the early times (such as 5:15) are just too early for us.

This has been a problem for the past 3 or 4 years. I've talked to Passenger Services, I've complained to the CC rep., and I've talked to the maitre d' and head waiters. All of them have told me that it is a "corporate decision", and they're powerless to change it. I also add it to my post cruise review every time.

I don't like eating dinner at 5:30 or 5:45; it's too early, but we love td so we live with it.

We've had it happen on Caribbean, NY to Houston, and Transatlantic cruises and indicated on our survey that we didn't like it.

There have been several ports where none of the excursions get back before dinner time when it is advanced to 5:30ish.

As others have experienced on various ships, what the time is on the personalizer may or may not be the actual time you find on your cruise card when you board. 5:30 could be 5:15, or 6 could be 5:45. 8:15 could be 7:45. The choice of time they give you on the personalizer is deceptive, and I don't see any way around it. We usually opt for late seating since some of the early times (such as 5:15) are just too early for us.

We usually opt for late seating because we are never hungry at 5:15, 5:30, 5:45 or 6:00.

We were on the Regal last month and chose late dining at 8PM. We thought we would try that because early dining is just too early and we're not thrilled with anytime either. Big mistake! We never received our appetizer until 8:30 at the earliest. We were usually not done eating until after 9:30. The dining room was half empty so that wasn't the problem. We were half asleep by the time we left. So we requested 6PM for our next cruise and now I'm not sure what to do.

We also were awarded the 5:30 TD. As soon as we saw it we were not happy.

On days with tours we would eat a light snack for lunch because in just a few hours we would be going to dinner.

I was also bummed out on missing the Happy Hour 5-7. Was looking forward to that event before the cruise. Of course the Wife, being ever helpful, told me to go early, be first in line, nibble, grab a glass of Port and try to make it back to the MDR with out spilling it. :D

Bob

On our British Isles/TA last fall first seating was 6p.m. on the British Isles portion of the trip. It switched to 5:45 on the ta portion. Many of us who were on the first part of the trip didn't even know that the time had changed because we didn't get new cruise cards for the ta part. The head waiter and maitre d' both said it was controlled by the corporate headquarters, but I hope the onboard staff would tell corporate how many complaints they get about this.

We also were awarded the 5:30 TD. As soon as we saw it we were not happy.

On days with tours we would eat a light snack for lunch because in just a few hours we would be going to dinner.

I was also bummed out on missing the Happy Hour 5-7. Was looking forward to that event before the cruise. Of course the Wife, being ever helpful, told me to go early, be first in line, nibble, grab a glass of Port and try to make it back to the MDR with out spilling it. :D

Bob

Every evaluation I send in includes the early traditional dining time and the conflict with the Platinum, Elite, Suite Lounge. I've given up doing the survey. I now write a full scale review and send it to Princess.

They always call me back and say that my concerns will be forwarded to the next department.

If all of us did the same, maybe they would listen. I always ask how hard it is to start the Lounge Hours at 4:30 or 4:45 for those with early dining times. I've been "lucky" to always get 5:15!

Today I disembarked the Crown. Same issue. I went to the Matte "D and asked for a 6PM reservation in anytime because traditional at 5:30 was unacceptable. This happened last month also. He said they knew the info was wrong but Princess Corp won't fix it on the web site. He said to just come at 6 PM which we did. We told our table-mates we'd be coming at 6 and they were fine with it and started coming late too. When you're in port and come back in the afternoon and have a 1-2 PM lunch then dinner is too early. We also couldn't have enjoyed the Elite/Suite happy hour from 5 -7 if we had 5:30 dinner.

For me, that was appropriate!