Splitting Up Pelicans and Shockwaves?

Cruisecrazy25

We are booked on the Regal for the week of March 20. Our friends were thinking about joining us, but have been told that the Pelicans group is full. She is 8, which is supposed to be Shockwaves. When we asked for clarification they said the age group 4-8 is to capacity.

Does this mean that my 8 year olds will not be in Shockwaves? They have been looking forward to moving up after years in Pelicans!

There are a maximum number of children allowed to sail on each cruise within certain age brackets. Those age brackets do not necessarily match the age range of the groups in the kids program. The main reason child bookings are capped is not the capacity of the youth and teen centers but the ability of the medical center to treat pediatric patients should there be an outbreak (or even multiple children suffering a mishap on a sea day).

Edited by fishywood

I had this experience on a cruise we tried to book over xmas - I called Princess and was told it has nothing to do with the youth programs. It is about the number of child lifejackets on any one ship. Children between the ages of 4-8 require a child lifejacket (there are infant ones for children under 4) and that is why they cap the number of children in that age group. The youth programs will cater to children between 3 and 7 (Pelicans) and 8-12 (Shockwaves). They ALWAYS allow more children than they can realistically cater for in the programs, as not all parents/children utilise the program at all times. It looks as if your sailing may coincide with spring break so just be prepared for the youth programs to have waitlists and you won't be guaranteed to get your children in whenever you want to! If cruise bookings are closed for the 4-8 group, you can ask to be put on a waitlist (just means you have to book the cruise for the adults and they will notify you if space becomes available). Good luck!

Edited by ceilidh1
spelling

You say you are already booked, so when you booked there was room in the kids program for your daughter. She will be accommodated. Your friends can't book because the quota for the number of kids on board has been met. This is my understanding of how this works.

Edited by sailinglisa

Thanks everyone :) We understand that our friends can't come and it was just a last minute idea for them to come. However, I was just worried about my daughter not being in shockwaves haha! She has been sailing on Princess since she was 9 months old and she is so excited to be in the next group up!! She would have been disappointed. We normally sail over Spring Break and I haven't had issues in the past getting her in the kids club, and I sure hope I don't this time! She lives and breaths for the kids club so that would be devastating!

Thanks everyone :) We understand that our friends can't come and it was just a last minute idea for them to come. However, I was just worried about my daughter not being in shockwaves haha! She has been sailing on Princess since she was 9 months old and she is so excited to be in the next group up!! She would have been disappointed. We normally sail over Spring Break and I haven't had issues in the past getting her in the kids club, and I sure hope I don't this time! She lives and breaths for the kids club so that would be devastating!

My 8 year old has also been cruising since she was 9 months old, and now her 4 year old brother has too! We had NEVER had issues with kids clubs on any of our cruises until last year - then two in a row reached capacity for kids clubs (over 500 kids onboard and only 75 spots on one cruise) and the only way we could get them in was to line up half an hour ahead of time each time the club opened! It wasn't a fun experience and I am now considering trying other lines as, like yours, my kids live for the kids program onboard (as do their parents :))

On the last cruise, we encountered an incompetent and grouchy staff member who did her best to discourage people from signing up for the kids' clubs. She told us the first time that there wouldn't be enough room, so if we wanted to sign them up we could just take our chances that there would be room for them. They had already been registered online and we were the second people to show up at the facility on embarkation day to register in person. She told someone else she had the hardest job on the ship. The kids (both nine) never had a problem getting in for the rest of the cruise. The place was not crowded. We even took the baby to Pelicans to play for awhile (with us there.) No problems. This grouchy staff member apparently shouted at the kids all the time. They were afraid to go near her. Once, when they were leaving for lunch, she told them (in front of their mother) not to come back if they were sea sick (which they were not and never have been) because she was tired of dealing with vomiting kids. She was a nightmare, and we reported her.

On the last cruise, we encountered an incompetent and grouchy staff member who did her best to discourage people from signing up for the kids' clubs. She told us the first time that there wouldn't be enough room, so if we wanted to sign them up we could just take our chances that there would be room for them. They had already been registered online and we were the second people to show up at the facility on embarkation day to register in person. She told someone else she had the hardest job on the ship. The kids (both nine) never had a problem getting in for the rest of the cruise. The place was not crowded. We even took the baby to Pelicans to play for awhile (with us there.) No problems. This grouchy staff member apparently shouted at the kids all the time. They were afraid to go near her. Once, when they were leaving for lunch, she told them (in front of their mother) not to come back if they were sea sick (which they were not and never have been) because she was tired of dealing with vomiting kids. She was a nightmare, and we reported her.

What a shame!! Which ship was this on? We have always had a great experience on all of our cruises and my daughter always loves the staff! I hope people like her are few and far between!

What a shame!! Which ship was this on? We have always had a great experience on all of our cruises and my daughter always loves the staff! I hope people like her are few and far between!

It was the Crown out of LA last month. We have never had a problem before that. It was just this ill-tempered woman who obviously hated her job. I'm hoping she's not with Princess anymore.

We had a similar experience with a staff member on Grand - she obviously hated her job and was so rude and unprofessional with the kids. I also reported her both to staff onboard and to Princess after our return. I had no response to the complaints but when we sailed later in the year we encountered her again - this time on Ruby! It's a shame that the "bad" people leave such a lasting impression!

We had a similar experience with a staff member on Grand - she obviously hated her job and was so rude and unprofessional with the kids. I also reported her both to staff onboard and to Princess after our return. I had no response to the complaints but when we sailed later in the year we encountered her again - this time on Ruby! It's a shame that the "bad" people leave such a lasting impression!

It was probably the same woman. :) We have always had a great experience with kids' club, and I will be very distressed if they are going to let the quality of that slip, too. (As has been the case with several things since the Swartz person took over.)

We had a similar experience with a staff member on Grand - she obviously hated her job and was so rude and unprofessional with the kids. I also reported her both to staff onboard and to Princess after our return. I had no response to the complaints but when we sailed later in the year we encountered her again - this time on Ruby!

I think princess simply disregards all negative comments.

When I have bothered, I never saw the slightest change,

or even a follow up.

Now, I do not even bother with the survey.

That is a shame. We have only had great experiences with the kids clubs on Princess. In fact, on our first cruise we had one son in Pelican and the other in Shockwaves. The next year, on the Caribbean, both were in Shockwaves and one of the women in Shockwaves asked us if we were on the Coral in Alaska the year before because she remembered my younger one from Pelicans! We were amazed!

Depending on how many kids, in each age group are on board, they do manipulate the ages of each group. It happened on our Holiday cruise this last December. Had they stuck to the ages both my kids would have been in the same room. They didn't so they were in different rooms. In the end, they had fun, but one wanted to be in there a lot more than the other.

Depending on how many kids, in each age group are on board, they do manipulate the ages of each group.

I have heard of that but never experienced it. Fortunately, our current Shockwavers are the same age, twins, and so they get to be together. It's much better when you can be assured before you board where the kids will be.

Hi all, hope someone might be able to answer this one....

We have a 7 yr old son and a 9 yr old daughter. We cruise next month and have already signed up for the programs. Our son is totally into the activities that the shockwaves get to do...ie gaming, sports, movies etc., and not so much into the Pelican activities. Would they allow him to be in the shockwaves group since his sister would be in that group or is that something that is strictly age enforced?

Todd

We have a 7 yr old son and a 9 yr old daughter. We cruise next month and have already signed up for the programs. Our son is totally into the activities that the shockwaves get to do...ie gaming, sports, movies etc., and not so much into the Pelican activities. Would they allow him to be in the shockwaves group since his sister would be in that group or is that something that is strictly age enforced?

Todd

Strictly age enforced.

Todd

There are many reasons why the age groupings will be enforced. Liability. To cut down on the number of parents pleading that their kids are "more mature" than their age (heard that a lot from middle school kids when helping with one program..."my child is very talented," "gifted," "mature," and often they're not).

Also, just think of the older kids who don't know your 7 year old. Many are looking forward to being in a certain age group and won't be happy if exceptions are made. And who can blame them.

Todd

In the past, they have moved an older sibling down to Pelicans, but never up to Shockwaves.