Disgraceful compensation package

baytraller

We have Back to back cruises booked with Azamara 4th and 16th June 2016 on the Journey

The 4th June cruise has been changed to depart from Athens not Istanbul

We were offer compensation for flights and hotels of $5oo per person

The most convenient flight change would be to add a low cost flight from Istanbul to Athens

But the flights are now not the most enjoyable - three days of flights

But we will need a Turkish visa - this will not be compensated

So we are looking to cancel both cruises

Ok 4Th June - full compensation we thought

But no we have applied a $500 future cruise voucher to the 4th June cruise

This will be lost if we cancel - once only use

But wait there is more - the second cruise

Cancellation fee of $25 each

Then on the second cruise we have applied 2 complimentary nights

Yes you can guess the reply - once only use

We will not travel from Australia to Europe for one single 7 night cruise

The compensation package from Azamara is a joke

This whole issue has caused us great stress

Azamara continually state that passengers are their number one priority

I have sailed on Azamara many times. Each time, it seems like a different type of experience. On my last cruise I booked with a promise of reduced excursions if booked and paid before I embarked. The discount was withdrawn. Since I have experienced changes and have read about people's nasty experiences, I would insist on getting all details in writing before the final payment is due. Nonrefundable deposits are wrong. I have often booked future cruises while sailing. The perks are often good. While I usually take the booked cruise, I have had to cancel one cruise because of a date conflict. I was happy to get my deposit back. Now that deposits are not refunded, I hesitate to book on the ship.

Turkish Visa -- Do I understand correctly: You were going to fly into Istanbul and then board the ship? Now you could fly into Istanbul and immediately connect to a flight to Athens? And you weren't planning to get a Turkish visa before? Maybe this change is a life-saver for you -- because you definitely needed a visa for the original itinerary. So, now that you know how much it would cost to cancel both cruises -- can you go back calmly and look at the cost of changing your original flight to go directly to Athens? [Don't forget to net out the saving from not getting a Turkish visa.] It seems to me that the discomfort from the itinerary change [which was done for your protection, whether you agree or not] has clouded your vision to what remains a very nice itinerary. You have the makings of some very nice lemonade, if you can change your attitude.

Host Jazzbeau - not overly happy with your reply

First of all our original flights would arrive in Istanbul on the 2nd of June

That gave us a safety day if any delays and a complete day in Istanbul to relax after 3 full days of travel before our cruise

There is no way that we are able to arrive in Athens on the 2nd June - flights do not connect

We will have to stop on the 2nd June and fly to Athens on the 3rd June

If the itinerary change was made solely for our protect why are Celebrity still starting and ending cruises in Istanbul

If you are looking to make this work, I have a couple of suggestions.

There are 7 nonstop flights per day from IST to ATH. If one does not connect easily to your inbound flight to IST, I suggest you stay at the TAV transit hotel. It is in the transit section of the international terminal. I have stayed there before on a business trip from Belgrade to London via IST. The transit hotel is not fancy or cheap, but it sure beats trying to sleep in the airport. It has the advantage that you don't have to go through customs or security. Be sure to reserve a room at the "Air Side" section at their web site: http://www.ataturkairport.com/en-EN/shoppingdinning/pages/airporthotel.aspx

(Do not book on the "Land Side" or you will have to go through customs and security.)

Generally, you don't need a visa if you are staying "In Transit" at the airport. But don't take my word on this. You will want to check this for yourself.

I also was impacted by a similar change to the Aug 29 Istanbul to Venice cruise. In our case, we are flying into Turkey one week early and touring on our own, so we just added an IST to ATH flight on the day before the cruise.

I hope that you can figure out something that works for you.

It seems to me that the discomfort from the itinerary change [which was done for your protection, whether you agree or not] . . .

I don't believe for a minute that the cruise lines are cancelling Turkey port calls "for your protection". They are doing it to protect their shareholders from losses due to poor bookings. This is a very rational decision on the cruise lines part given their fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders.

If the cruise lines were cancelling port calls "for your protection" they would not be making port calls in the USA where we have had 132 people killed in mass shootings in 2015. The difference is that cruises originating in the USA are selling quite well. Cruises originating in Turkey are not.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Host Jazzbeau - not overly happy with your reply

First of all our original flights would arrive in Istanbul on the 2nd of June

That gave us a safety day if any delays and a complete day in Istanbul to relax after 3 full days of travel before our cruise

There is no way that we are able to arrive in Athens on the 2nd June - flights do not connect

We will have to stop on the 2nd June and fly to Athens on the 3rd June

If the itinerary change was made solely for our protect why are Celebrity still starting and ending cruises in Istanbul

What about flying into Athens a day earlier than planned and then have a day or two in Athens, there's lots to see. For example the Acropolis and the Acropolis Museum. It's one of our favourite cities.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't believe for a minute that the cruise lines are cancelling Turkey port calls "for your protection". They are doing it to protect their shareholders from losses due to poor bookings. This is a very rational decision on the cruise lines part given their fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders.

If the cruise lines were cancelling port calls "for your protection" they would not be making port calls in the USA where we have had 132 people killed in mass shootings in 2015. The difference is that cruises originating in the USA are selling quite well. Cruises originating in Turkey are not.

I must have missed the news items where TOURISTS were being singled out in the US. But if OP agrees with you that safety is not an issue in Turkey, why not cancel the first cruise, keep the original flight into IST and arrange a land tour of Turkey with the savings?

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

I like to search for tickets and nice prices:)

When I do a quick look and take Sidney - Istanbul with Quantas (nice price) then you arive after 21h flight at 04:10

At 6:55 you have a flight for 1,5 hour to Athens and stays there 1 or 2 extra days before the cruise.

No VISA needed and on the flighttime from your home to Istanbul it is nog much more

Generally, you don't need a visa if you are staying "In Transit" at the airport. But don't take my word on this. You will want to check this for yourself.

Here's what it says on the official government of Turkey site for visas (near the bottom of the FAQs : https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/info/ ):

Q: Do I have to obtain a visa if I do not leave the international transit area? Go

A: No. You do not have to get a visa if you are not going to leave the international transit area.

OP, did you book your flights by yourself? Why not call the airline and ask how much it would cost to change your flights to/from IST to ATH? You would still be able to salvage your cruises and the benefits that you applied to them.

Q: Do I have to obtain a visa if I do not leave the international transit area? Go

A: No. You do not have to get a visa if you are not going to leave the international transit area.

The Airline that is flying us to Istanbul does not fly from Istanbul to Athens

Therefore all those who do not have any experience with this type of issue

The checked bags will go to Istanbul

We will have to collect the bags and find our way from arrivals to departure area and then check-in with the new airline

I Think that just may mean we will have to leave the International transit area

Thank you to all those who are experts in flying to Europe from Australia

It is just so easy - you will never suffer from jetlag

We are just a couple of silly old (66 and 72 years) Australians who have done this more then a dozen times

We follow this schudule and have never suffered from jetlag

Firstly Australia is a very large country and not everyone lives next to Sydney airport

We live on the south coast of NSW

Day 1 - Bus to Sydney Airport takes 7 hours

Day 2 - Sydney to Bangkok flight time 9.30 hours

Day 3 - Bangkok to Istanbul flight and transit time 12 hours then airport to hotel

Day 4 - Istanbul free time to relax and some sightseeing (also a safety day if we have travel delays)

Day 5 - Hotel to ship unpacking and muster

We could go from our home to Istanbul non stop and spend the next couple of days recovering

We would leave home and arrive in Istanbul over 30 hours later

Some lucky people may be able sleep on planes or some may take various drugs

So or not the hotel on Istanbul and make a longer trip (the flight to ATH). Becomes late in Europian time (if you fly Emerates from Bangkok)

OR

Day 5 - Hotel to ship unpacking and muster

Then "only" this transportation will be longer. Hotel to airport flight to ATH and then to the ship.

But in total it keeps a long trip to start the cruise:(

... The Airline that is flying us to Istanbul does not fly from Istanbul to Athens ...

Often you can connect with one of the "partner" airlines (OneWorld, Star Alliance, etc.) for little or no additional fees and your luggage will be routed directly to your final destination. Not knowing what airline you are flying, I cannot give you what partners they code share with.

Often you can connect with one of the "partner" airlines (OneWorld, Star Alliance, etc.) for little or no additional fees and your luggage will be routed directly to your final destination. Not knowing what airline you are flying, I cannot give you what partners they code share with.

Don't necessarily need a partner airline or a code share. You simply need 2 airlines that have a interline agreement. Most major airlines have interline agreements with each other. Use Google to see if your airline to Istanbul has an Interline Agreement and you are good to go.

In order to avoid the visa requirement, you would need to log in to your Athens Flight at home or at a stop on the way and print off a boarding pass. Also need the particulars on the flight to Athens and have the agent in Sydney check your bags thru to Athens. This way, no pick up of bags in Istanbul and use the Transit area to your gate to Athens.

In order to avoid the visa requirement, you would need to log in to your Athens Flight at home or at a stop on the way and print off a boarding pass.

What you describe is the best way to do it. However, in my personal experience, my BEG to IST flight was on TAROM. My connecting IST to LHR flight was on British Air. BA would not allow me to check in on line. The solution at IST is to stop at the transfer desks and get your boarding pass there. BA does not have their own transfer desk, so I had to get my boarding pass from an agent that does this for several airlines. Basically, I just had to ask someone, "Where can I get a BA boarding pass" and they pointed me in the right direction.

Once I had the BA boarding pass in hand, I was able to proceed through security (required) and into the transit area for my overnight stay in the transit hotel.

It all sounds very complicated when written down, but it was an easy process in practice.

I think that is very unfair on all of the cruise lines. Of course they have a duty toward their shareholders, but they also have one to their current guests. It's an all encompassing policy. As Host Jazzbeau said it's news of the targeting of tourist areas that is the driving force to the latest itinerary changes. The cruiselines also have a duty to protect their reputational risk as well, heaven forbid anything happened to their guests on a ship tour.

Phil

If I had booked a cruise starting or finishing in Istanbul, I would be cancelling, unless the cruise company changed the start/endpoint to somewhere else. The terrorists are targeting tourists - what better publicity could Isis want than to kill a load of US/British cruisers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I find it very interesting how we all perceive and react to the risks of travel. I am of the camp the that sees it from a statistical probability position, best described in articles like this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2015/11/23/youre-more-likely-to-be-fatally-crushed-by-furniture-than-killed-by-a-terrorist/

My personal chances of being killed in a terrorist attack are so infinitesimally small that it's not worth worrying about it - especially compared to the much greater risks associated with travel like riding in an automobile.

My personal threshold for risk is measured by travel warnings from the USA, Canada, Australia, and UK. When those governments start issuing warnings to "avoid nonessential travel", then I will change my travel plans.

Sent from my Nexus 7

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2015/11/23/youre-more-likely-to-be-fatally-crushed-by-furniture-than-killed-by-a-terrorist/

My personal chances of being killed in a terrorist attack are so infinitesimally small that it's not worth worrying about it - especially compared to the much greater risks associated with travel like riding in an automobile.

Sent from my Nexus 7

I believe given the numbers of bikes in Vietnam and China you also have to add in crossing the road to the list of potentially hazardous activities whilst cruising

The Airline that is flying us to Istanbul does not fly from Istanbul to Athens

Therefore all those who do not have any experience with this type of issue

The checked bags will go to Istanbul

We will have to collect the bags and find our way from arrivals to departure area and then check-in with the new airline

I Think that just may mean we will have to leave the International transit area

The question I was asking is to call the airline and and ask how much to change from Sydney to Istanbul to Sydney directly to Athens, not how much to add Istanbul to Athens to the fare to tag onto the Sydney to Istanbul flight.

In other words, change the itinerary completely but still within the same geographic area.

Bay trailer

I can understand your disappointment & frustration. :mad:I would feel exactly the same way. The trip from Australia to Europe is very long and the jet lag is a killer. It is always a good idea to arrive 1-2 days early to acclimatise & be assured of arriving in time for your tour/cruise.

Not sure where you're from in Aus, but is there no way you can fly directly to Athens, using the $500pp compensation to help towards the difference/ change fees? Are you using a travel agent? I'm sure there must something:confused: hopefully you will find a solution, have an awesome time cruising with Azamara, then want to use your future credit for another cruise:D

Azamara has done what they believe to be the best thing for the safety if their passengers & crew - that's good- but it's such a shame - now it feels like evil has won:(

The question I was asking is to call the airline and and ask how much to change from Sydney to Istanbul to Sydney directly to Athens, not how much to add Istanbul to Athens to the fare to tag onto the Sydney to Istanbul flight.

In other words, change the itinerary completely but still within the same geographic area.

This would be the first thing I would check too - to see if the ticket can be re-routed and re-issued to fly Sydney/Athens instead of Sydney/Istanbul. Some fares allow this for a fee, others don't, but it is worth checking.

I don't agree with a previous poster that an interline agreement will mean that you will be able to check your baggage through to Athens. Many airlines now refuse to through check baggage if you are on different tickets, even if they have an interline agreement with the other carrier. I know sometimes check-in staff can be persuaded to do it, but personally I would not want to take the risk here as if they refuse and you have no visa for Turkey then you are going to be in real trouble.