Rome Excursion - which to select on mass days.

wilhelgr

I had selected the Rome, the eternal city, excursion for my trip in September and received an email from Royal Caribbean that the excursion may change to due mass that day. Should I stick with this excursion and hope to get into the Vatican museums or change to the Imperial Rome excursion? This is my first European cruise and first trip to Rome so I am not comfortable with a "on your own" or private tour so those are not options for me.

Due to mass? That sounds strange.

The Vatican museums are closed on Sundays, with the exception of the last Sunday each month when they are open free and are hopelessly overcrowded.

There are no other planned closures in the month of September, according to the museums's own calendar: http://www.museivaticani.va/content/dam/museivaticani/pdf/utilities/calendario_musei.pdf

I had selected the Rome, the eternal city, excursion for my trip in September and received an email from Royal Caribbean that the excursion may change to due mass that day. Should I stick with this excursion and hope to get into the Vatican museums or change to the Imperial Rome excursion? This is my first European cruise and first trip to Rome so I am not comfortable with a "on your own" or private tour so those are not options for me.

What exactly does your excursion includes? If it includes St Peter's Basilica, then yes it will change if it is on Wednesday (Papal Audience) or Sundays (Papal Blessing) as St Peter's will be closed in the morning. Vatican Museum is from 9-2pm on Sundays I believe. Also, I believe Sistine Chapel (inside the Vatican Museum) is closed on Sundays.

cruisemom and euro cruiser will hopefully respond to your post.

Yes, we will be there on Wednesday, the 20th of September and the pope has mass scheduled. So no luck with the getting in to the museums during his mass or after due to mass number of people. :loudcry:

What exactly does your excursion includes? If it includes St Peter's Basilica, then yes it will change if it is on Wednesday (Papal Audience) or Sundays (Papal Blessing) as St Peter's will be closed in the morning. Vatican Museum is from 9-2pm on Sundays I believe. Also, I believe Sistine Chapel (inside the Vatican Museum) is closed on Sundays.

cruisemom and euro cruiser will hopefully respond to your post.

Cruisemom here. :D

As euro cruiser says, the Vatican museum is closed most Sundays altogether -- with the exception of the last Sunday of each month.

When the Museum is open, the Sistine chapel is open. And vice-versa.

Yes, we will be there on Wednesday, the 20th of September and the pope has mass scheduled. So no luck with the getting in to the museums during his mass or after due to mass number of people. :loudcry:

I think you mean a Papal Audience, which is not the same as a mass. The Papal Audience includes prayers, blessings, and a (brief) homily -- but not mass. It should take place in September in St. Peter's Square.

The Vatican Museum entrance is not on the square but in a different location, so I am not sure why you think you could not go in?

The museum is about 15-20 min walk from the Basilica area. That's why I asked what does your excursion include exactly? Is it just visiting the Vatican Museum? Or It includes St. Peter's Basilica? Also, is this a generic message you got?

While it will be open, Wednesday afternoon at the Vatican Museum is a zoo. They restrict the flow to a set pattern and all you can do is follow along. Did it once not knowing and would not do it again. If you could do the museum in the morning during the audience it may be less crowded. Unless the Vatican Museum is a must see, I'd opt for the Imperial Rome tour.

They restrict the flow to a set pattern and all you can do is follow along. Did it once not knowing and would not do it again. .

100% agree! It was hot and miserable. I would not do it again unless there is a private access tour. We went on Friday night and it was packed. So I am glad I did not visit during the day.