Thames River Cruise Basics

Host Jazzbeau

Wow you live and learn. I am only 8 minutes away from central Greenwich and had no idea about cruising the Thames apart from the tourist boats.

Once the new cruise terminal at Greenwich is opened we should see an even greater use of the river.

Hello hostjazzbeau,

nice read, thank you for the link. I knew that the Thames is navigable well beyond London, but it is good to see the information on draft. I assume it means those tours offered are of the French barges cruising type at the most. So far I have only heard of the self-driven "Hausboot" type. That is was we call it. You hire a boat with your family and / or friends and your party of 4 to 8 people happily sails up and down a river with or without locks with you behind the wheel. I wonder if they are anything like the boats in the Camden locks.

Squarevanman,

Thank you for jumping in. One often does not know what is around one's own corner. ;) I found a street in my hometown two years ago that I never knew existed. Would be no big deal if it was not only 1.3kms away. :o

I like the Thames, I have not been further upstream than to Kew Gardens yet.

If you find out more about what those Thames cruises are about please let us know.

Greenwich, ahh, memories of the original (before it sadly burnt out) Cutty Sark. Must come again to the area.

notamermaid

Wow you live and learn. I am only 8 minutes away from central Greenwich and had no idea about cruising the Thames apart from the tourist boats.

Once the new cruise terminal at Greenwich is opened we should see an even greater use of the river.

Ah Greenwich. My favourite area of London, Cutty Sark, National Maritime Museum. Painted Hall, Greenwich Park with Royal Obervatory, also my bith place.

Squarevanman, you are 8 minutes away, is that east going to Charlton / Woolwich, south to Blackheath / Lewisham or west to Deptford / New Cross?

Just as curious as you G.M.T., but did not want to "probe". :D

Perhaps meet up for a cup of coffee somewhere there and reminisce, but please not on Lewisham High Street. ;)

The Magna Carta mentioned in the article is a refurbished barge, very much like the French peniches (plural word here) operated by CroisiEurope in France.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
additional information

G.M.T and notametermaid I have no problem in answering. I live on the Blackheath/Kidbrooke border. So 8 minutes by car about 18 by bus or I could hobble there in about an hour. I used to wander over Blackheath through Greenwich Park and around the National Maritine Museum as a teenager most Sunday afternoons. The fire on the Cutty Sark came as a shock as I was taking my first river boat (if you can call it that) cruise at the time. I was on easycruise2 that went between Brussels and Amsterdam. A franchise by Boonstra River Line I believe. It was that trip that got me into the delights of river cruising and lead me to find cruise critic.

If your ever in Greenwich I would be to please to join you in ye olde tea shoppe Certainly nowhere near Lewisham High Street:)

G.M.T. I regret you beat me I was born across the boundary in Lewisham although I have been a Greenwich Boy all my life. I was in the painted hall in May for the inauguration of our Borough Mayor. It is being restored to its previous splendour and they seem to be doing a fantastic job.

As an Anglophile, I find this very interesting! I plan on going to Greenwich for the first time in Nov. and while researching it, was looking into the river cruises, but just the short ones to/from Greenwich. Might have to consider a longer cruise! Thanks for the heads-up!

I am hoping they will do a wine-themed version of the Thames cruise based on Rumpole of the Bailey, with tastings of Chateau Fleet Street and Chateau Thames Embankment!

I seem to remember an email from the Moody Blues, about a John Lodge wine cruise on the Thames. I would assume it is on one of these boats???

So, I love all things history, and for us Americans that means English history. Is Greenwich a place I need to visit on my trip to London next may?

jc

I seem to remember an email from the Moody Blues, about a John Lodge wine cruise on the Thames. I would assume it is on one of these boats???

So, I love all things history, and for us Americans that means English history. Is Greenwich a place I need to visit on my trip to London next may?

jc

YES! Seeing as the world's time starts there, yes! The others can tell you more, but I'm really looking forward to the maritime history there! Somehow, I managed to miss it the other 4 or 5 times I've been to London. :cool:

YES! Seeing as the world's time starts there, yes! The others can tell you more, but I'm really looking forward to the maritime history there! Somehow, I managed to miss it the other 4 or 5 times I've been to London. :cool:

I have missed it on my previous five trips as well.

jc

xpcdoojk

I know I am biased but I would always recommend a trip to Greenwich. Most attractions can be found using your favourite search engine, I would always suggest the Cutty Sark and National Maritine Museum. However there is so much more to see and do in the Royal Borough outside of the central area. It certainly needs more than a day to explore all there is on offer. Don't drive here though the council car parks are a rip off.

Host Jazzbeau

Funny you should mention Rumpole I started watching re-runs of series 1 last week. One of our better exports in my opinion.

Host Jazzbeau

Funny you should mention Rumpole I started watching re-runs of series 1 last week. One of our better exports in my opinion.

If you read the books now, you will see (and hear) Leo McKern in your mind as you read along! My wife proudly uses the mug I got her: "She Who Must Be Obeyed" :D

• 1 month later...

I have just found online details of barge cruises on the Thames. I have not put a link as I am not sure if they are operators or agency. I googled overnight Thames River Cruise if that's any help to anyone.

Host Jazzbeau I have just watched Rumpole at Sea where he ordered a glass of Chateau Bilgewater :) That will not be available over here.

If you read the books now, you will see (and hear) Leo McKern in your mind as you read along! My wife proudly uses the mug I got her: "She Who Must Be Obeyed" :D

I have the same mug!!! When we first went to London we took a boat ride on the Thames to Greenwich. On the way back we saw the police fishing a body out of the river.....made us feel right at home!!! :D

• 9 months later...

Just had to read this thread as a live away Londoner. The Telegraph article is a tad misleading, okay maybe I'm a nerd. The boat Kailani is not a narrowboat about 7ft wide but a wide beam is nearly 14ft wide. This is a bit bit spooky really. Today we brought our narrowboat up Caen Hill to Devizes and moored just in front of Kailani it looks a lovely boat. Narrow boating on the Thames is fantastic so much room. CA 🇬🇧

We spent many years taking our own narrowboats around the UK canal network, ended up with a permanent morning in Henley, and moved on from the narrowboat to somrthing larger and more suitable for the location :)

Still have fond memories of the canals though, our kids grew up spending their weekends and holidays on the water, all over the UK.

Interesting that of the size of narrowboats, Canal archive. I have not been too closely involved with them other than they passing me or me passing them on the canals in the Peak District and further North. It seems that after the accident with a real narrowboat the authorities are very careful who they allow to sail on the tricky sections of the river in London.

Mark T,

those narrowboats are so much a feature of England for me now and it was quite a sight for me when for the first time a few years ago I saw the people of a narrowboat operating one of the locks on a canal. You do not find any hand-operated locks on the Rhine and the boats are slightly bigger. ;) Likewise it is always fun and warms my heart to see a British person being fascinated by the sight of those huge container barges that I see almost everyday. Last year I met a lady living on a narrowboat on the Thames. Apparently it is cheaper than finding a flat in London.

More importantly, I have now found the website of the Magna Carta: http://www.magna-carta.co.uk/

Looks really inviting.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

those narrowboats are so much a feature of England for me now and it was quite a sight for me when for the first time a few years ago I saw the people of a narrowboat operating one of the locks on a canal.

We have featured in many tourist photos over the years, especially the Japanese. I've always wondered if they went home telling stories of these quaint English people who live their lives on small boats, always moving from place to place :)

Moored up one day washing up with the swans hatch open I heard an American accent say look even hot water. My husband invited them on board and this lovely couple were so overcome, even central heating ect, we of course had to help them recover with a scotch, an enjoyable afternoon ensued. Still all countries have their own particular boats and even Gin Palaces don't work to well on our canals and our boat is my husbands pride and joy or his toy as he says.

If anyone is interested another nice hotel boat another wide beam is 'Tranquil Rose' also at the moment on the Kennet & Avon Canal. So whatever boat you choose to cruise in, enjoy. CA 🇬🇧

Hello Canal Archive,

I have had a look at the Tranquil Rose. She also sails the Thames on some itineraries. So here is the website: http://www.tranquilrose.co.uk/

I like the idea of entering London from the North West, arriving in Little Venice, as well. They also offer the Grand Union Canal. I would love to see that.

notamermaid

Hello Canal Archive,

I have had a look at the Tranquil Rose. She also sails the Thames on some itineraries. So here is the website: http://www.tranquilrose.co.uk/

I like the idea of entering London from the North West, arriving in Little Venice, as well. They also offer the Grand Union Canal. I would love to see that.

notamermaid

This looks very interesting....and very reasonably priced.