A Caribbean Odyessy

Just back from a two-week Caribbean sojourn with Ho-Hum and Blondie of "Idle Chat" fame. Had a glorious time with these two delightful traveling companions. Thought I would share some of our experiences that might help other travelers contemplating a visit to the islands.

Our first week was in a villa rental in Point Milou on St. Barths. We have stayed there before with other

friends and its is absolutely beautiful. Getting to St. Barths, however, is another matter. We chose a quick 10-minute Winair flight from St. Maarten. This should be the desired option AND the ferry connecting the two islands should be avoided at all cost, especially if you suffer from mal de mer. Sometime connecting flights are tight and you might avail yourself of the services of Easy Way, who will get you to the head of the line in the Custom's and Immigration hall, and walk you on to your connecting flight. Well worth the fee they charge!

After we landed in St. Barths, representatives from our rental agent Wimco, met us at the airport and transferred us to the villa where our car and catered evening meal was waiting. They also provide a

concierge service for the week to help with lunch and dinner reservations at some of the preferred

eateries. Here are a few of my personal recommendations: Le Cheval Blanc (formally the Ile de France) is one of the go-to places to see and be seen. Lovely setting and expensive food. Worth one visit. Eden Rock, is another of the favorites of the island jet-set. You sit just above the beach waiting

to get a glimpse of the rich and famous. Try the fried calamari ... can't be beat! Le Guanahani, located

in Grand cul de Sac, is one of my favorites. Sit with your toes in the sand, under a palapa and enjoy

great drink and food. Have the spaghetti alle vongole ... the best I have EVER tasted anywhere. Ask

the maitre d' hotel, Tony, for a table close to the surf and reserve a chaise to laze in after lunch. Perhaps

my very favorite is La Gloriette, frequented by visitors and locals alike. Great food sitting on the sand

at prices half as expensive as the A-List establishments. Try the grilled langostino and drawn butter.

Fantastic! Tamarin, near Grand Seline beach is another restaurant off the beaten path. Situated

under giant palms, you don't have a water view BUT the food is good and the waitstaff pleasant.

Might be better for dinner, as the lighting effects add to the ambiance.

Well, now that we've eaten our way around St. Barths, its off for some shopping in Gustavia. There are

some wonderful shops for both men and women, but don't buy that linen shirt at the first one you come

to. Look around, as there are many stores to choose from with varying prices. Max up your credit

card limits before you land on this island.

Our week on St Barths having ended, our Wimco representative arrives to pick up our luggage and

passports for transfer to the airport and our flight back to St. Maarten. We arrive at the gate for our

flight 30-minutes prior to departure and are handed our passports and boarding passes. Our

departure, like our arrival was seemless. Now on to Marigot and our week aboard SeaDream II.

Check out Ho Hums forthcoming review of the week aboard SD, as we tend to see eye to eye on

on most items and I would only be duplicating his comments. All in all, we had a great vacation

albeit we have returned home to about 10 new inches of snow with more expected tomorrow. Will

soon become a snowbird, as winters here are getting longer and colder. Next on SeaDream in

November for the trans-atlantic crossing from Lisbon. Can't wait! Happy cruising.

Just back from a two-week Caribbean sojourn with Ho-Hum and Blondie of "Idle Chat" fame. Had a glorious time with these two delightful traveling companions. Thought I would share some of our experiences that might help other travelers contemplating a visit to the islands.

Our first week was in a villa rental in Point Milou on St. Barths. We have stayed there before with other

friends and its is absolutely beautiful. Getting to St. Barths, however, is another matter. We chose a quick 10-minute Winair flight from St. Maarten. This should be the desired option AND the ferry connecting the two islands should be avoided at all cost, especially if you suffer from mal de mer. Sometime connecting flights are tight and you might avail yourself of the services of Easy Way, who will get you to the head of the line in the Custom's and Immigration hall, and walk you on to your connecting flight. Well worth the fee they charge!

After we landed in St. Barths, representatives from our rental agent Wimco, met us at the airport and transferred us to the villa where our car and catered evening meal was waiting. They also provide a

concierge service for the week to help with lunch and dinner reservations at some of the preferred

eateries. Here are a few of my personal recommendations: Le Cheval Blanc (formally the Ile de France) is one of the go-to places to see and be seen. Lovely setting and expensive food. Worth one visit. Eden Rock, is another of the favorites of the island jet-set. You sit just above the beach waiting

to get a glimpse of the rich and famous. Try the fried calamari ... can't be beat! Le Guanahani, located

in Grand cul de Sac, is one of my favorites. Sit with your toes in the sand, under a palapa and enjoy

great drink and food. Have the spaghetti alle vongole ... the best I have EVER tasted anywhere. Ask

the maitre d' hotel, Tony, for a table close to the surf and reserve a chaise to laze in after lunch. Perhaps

my very favorite is La Gloriette, frequented by visitors and locals alike. Great food sitting on the sand

at prices half as expensive as the A-List establishments. Try the grilled langostino and drawn butter.

Fantastic! Tamarin, near Grand Seline beach is another restaurant off the beaten path. Situated

under giant palms, you don't have a water view BUT the food is good and the waitstaff pleasant.

Might be better for dinner, as the lighting effects add to the ambiance.

Well, now that we've eaten our way around St. Barths, its off for some shopping in Gustavia. There are

some wonderful shops for both men and women, but don't buy that linen shirt at the first one you come

to. Look around, as there are many stores to choose from with varying prices. Max up your credit

card limits before you land on this island.

Our week on St Barths having ended, our Wimco representative arrives to pick up our luggage and

passports for transfer to the airport and our flight back to St. Maarten. We arrive at the gate for our

flight 30-minutes prior to departure and are handed our passports and boarding passes. Our

departure, like our arrival was seemless. Now on to Marigot and our week aboard SeaDream II.

Check out Ho Hums forthcoming review of the week aboard SD, as we tend to see eye to eye on

on most items and I would only be duplicating his comments. All in all, we had a great vacation

albeit we have returned home to about 10 new inches of snow with more expected tomorrow. Will

soon become a snowbird, as winters here are getting longer and colder. Next on SeaDream in

November for the trans-atlantic crossing from Lisbon. Can't wait! Happy cruising.

Sounds as if you had a great time Commander. Too bad about the snow. Where are you planning on Snowbirding to, Florida, or out here with us in Arizona? 83 and sunny at the moment. Our across the street neighbors are packing up to return to the frozen North. Long faces for sure.

Just back from a two-week Caribbean sojourn with Ho-Hum and Blondie of "Idle Chat" fame. Had a glorious time with these two "...............................................................................................................................

Ho Hum would fully endorse the Commander's comments on restaurants, flights, shopping and practically every subject under the sun except maybe his grasp on matters concerning social media !

Ho Hum would add that all restaurants, villa and concierge facilities were arranged by his good self........he is a true Master of Travel: Ho Hum is simply a devoted follower of the Master.

Ho Hum has given his Guest Comment Card at "the other place" so we need not detain you with any ancillary information......so go about your day in gay abandon singing a happy tune beaming radiant smiles to all you meet (come on Cabbie even you can try it).

Radiant smiles; indeed !

Edited by ho-hum